Help needed with Native Instruments FINGER PLEASE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ttaralli

Help needed with Native Instruments FINGER PLEASE

Post by ttaralli » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:14 pm

I've been working on this for about a day (including looking through NI and ableton forums) and I can't seem to get this thing to work. Here is what I have -

1 Audio Track with a drum loop in the first clip
2 there is a kore fx player loaded on this audio track
- Audio routes through the kore fx I can control the volume of the loop through the kore fx player
- I slecet FX then the Finger and I load a finger preset
3 I have a midi track with the midi output routing to the audio track and Kore FX player
- I check the kore FX player on the audio track and it is receiving midi when I play the oxygen 8

I've tried going through the octaves and hitting every key and nothing happens; the drum loop plays through with no fx.

Please help I must be making some small stupid mistake Can't wait to use The Finger it looks like loads of fun!

If I select the Finger sounds instead of FX in the kore player fx on the audio track I can play "Creep Radio", & "Meltatic" but "Wind Machine" & "Glacier" play nothing. Not sure if this helps or even means anything

Liam

Re: Help needed with Native Instruments FINGER PLEASE

Post by Liam » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:28 am

Not sure about your 3 step - routing midi to an audio track. Is the Finger not a midi plugin? Or does it receive midi input even when used as an audio plugin?

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:22 am

the finger must be running in reaktor to respond to midi keys, when running in kore player you only get the 8 macro knobs, there was a guy at motunation who got burned on this same thing.

halley

Post by halley » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:39 pm

don't know about using it in kore...
but I can confirm that it works well with reaktor
and it works like a charm configured as follows:
1 have a bunch of audio tracks with your loops in session
2 put one or more 'Reaktor 5 FX VST' in one or more audio or return tracks.
select the finger ensemble.
3 have a bunch of midi tracks with midi output routing to those audio or return tracks.
to be able to route be sure to have the finger ensemble selected in previous step.
4 play from keyboard/whatever input on midi tracks to listen to finger fx.
store some played ideas in midi clips.
play even more just by adding and tweaking some midi fx,
and eventually by tweaking midi mapping of the finger as well.
5 be careful in reaktor not to reach a processor overload (especially if you're playing live :-)

sure is something you can obtain in a thousand other ways...
still, it's simple, straightforward and gives endless variations in a lightning fast fashion.

You're wrong...
it doesn't 'look' like loads of fun, it 'is' fun.

:-)

enjoy

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:47 pm

mike_o wrote:the finger must be running in reaktor to respond to midi keys, when running in kore player you only get the 8 macro knobs, there was a guy at motunation who got burned on this same thing.
That's not true. I use Finger in Kore all the time with MIDI keys, although I have no idea why the OP is having the problem. It should be working. :oops:

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Liam wrote:Not sure about your 3 step - routing midi to an audio track. Is the Finger not a midi plugin? Or does it receive midi input even when used as an audio plugin?
Yep, it does receive midi input as an audio plugin.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm not sure what is going on here....according to the method you wrote out it should be working. Are you just hitting the keys momentarily or holding them down? They only work if you hold them down.

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:21 pm

ethios4 wrote:
mike_o wrote:the finger must be running in reaktor to respond to midi keys, when running in kore player you only get the 8 macro knobs, there was a guy at motunation who got burned on this same thing.
That's not true. I use Finger in Kore all the time with MIDI keys, although I have no idea why the OP is having the problem. It should be working. :oops:
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ?page=1139

look at the bottom of the page where it says the part about needing reaktor, I miswrote my first post, you need reaktor to modify or customize its midi assignments was the problem then, I just remember a few people being burned that you need reaktor to get the full power out of the finger.

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:38 pm

I've tried tapping the notes and holding them down :(

this really makes no sense, thanks for the replies I'll try uninstalling the finger. Maybe that will work???
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB-RAMM
Ableton Live 7
Dave Smith MoPho Keyboard
Maschine
Korg NanoKontrol
Motu Ultralite MK3
EHX - Big Muff & Memory Boy

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:42 pm

mike_o wrote:
ethios4 wrote:
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ?page=1139

look at the bottom of the page where it says the part about needing reaktor, I miswrote my first post, you need reaktor to modify or customize its midi assignments was the problem then, I just remember a few people being burned that you need reaktor to get the full power out of the finger.
Ahh, i got it now. Yea, can't modify patches without Reaktor....that really really sucks. I tried the Finger out with Reaktor and it was so much better. They really should make that more clear...really limits what you can do with the Finger, but the effects themselves are great.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Do you have the MIDI channels set up properly in Finger? For example, if Finger is set to receive on channel 1 and I'm sending MIDI on channel 3, it still shows up on the MIDI meter in Finger, but doesn't trigger effects.

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Oh maybe that's it???? How do I do that sorry I sort of new with this sort of midi routing

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:12 pm

I don't think that's it because if I switch to a synth sound in Kore instead of the Finger FX it will play that way. Thanks for the help though!!!!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:20 pm

ttaralli wrote:Oh maybe that's it???? How do I do that sorry I sort of new with this sort of midi routing
Yea, that's probably not it since you can use the synth just fine, but if you want to check anyway, the setting in Finger is in the Control tab to the right of the Twist knobs. You can set MIDI channel there.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:52 pm

I haven't used the Finger in Kore, but after reading all these posts, it seems like your right there. Something minor is being over looked.

SOMETiMES, after routing Midi to and Audio Track, I have to set the sub menu underneath the "MIDI To" menu, to go directly to the device I want to effect.

The way I set up the Finger in Live, I do not launch any clips directly in the track where the Finger is. I have the Finger sitting in an Audio Track with the Monitor set to "IN" and it is receving audio from a return track. Therefore I can send any audio to the corresponding "sends" which is routed to the finger.

So I'm not sure if it makes a difference in Kore, and I imagine you might have tried it already, but bounce your Audio to the Fingers Track with the monitor set to "IN"

Also the Finger works by mouse clicking on the buttons in the GUI. If that is not working it is an Audio routing issue, if that does make it work then you have a MIDI routing issue. Does that make since?