Yamaha HS80m vs. Krk Equivalent Monitors ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Yamaha HS80m vs. Krk Equivalent Monitors ?

Post by starving student » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:27 pm

what's your opinion.

SubFunk

Re: Yamaha HS80m vs. Krk Equivalent Monitors ?

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:29 pm

don't ask me about yamaha monitoring. (or PA systems)

you will only receive bad words and and a 100% bashing them into bits and pieces.

go out and LISTEN to monitors yourself. if you like yamahas, well then i personally be so rude and consider you deaf.*

* which means shit.
*** Image GAFM ***

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 pm

oh shit really?... i was halfway hoping the yams would win out..at the risk
of sounding silly I don't know what it is but I've got this thing for the black monitor white cone look, I don't really get those purple/yellow monitor schemes, for some reason I like to work on sample based music with monitors that have that ns10 look, anyway so was it a pair of hs monitors that put you off or was just that the motif made all your music sound like neo-soul :lol: ?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm

starving student wrote:oh shit really?... i was halfway hoping the yams would win out..at the risk
of sounding silly I don't know what it is but I've got this thing for the black monitor white cone look, I don't really get those purple/yellow monitor schemes, for some reason I like to work on sample based music with monitors that have that ns10 look, anyway so was it a pair of hs monitors that put you off or was just that the motif made all your music sound like neo-soul :lol: ?
seriously don't give to much on my word. listen yourself!

i can't stand yamaha monitors or PAs and actually not there desks either... they all sound so dull and soulless and digital cold to me... i always feel when i listen to yamaha reproduction, like someone would force me with a T-shirt dressed to the middel of the north pole and listen to a 3hour classic concert recording outdoors on my own.

it's the best way i can describe it.

krk has some good models, but realy just simply take time and some material you know and like and as diverse as possible (rock, pop, whatever)

and go and listen yourself. it's a vital investment* and you should take your time... it also will allow you to save up some money, so you can buy something decent and you do not need to buy in 2 years again monitors, because you discover they suck.

cheers

*i consider it as the most important investment in any studio ever! not in terms of amount of money, but in terms of importance of being satisfied, so take your time...
*** Image GAFM ***

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi

I got the HS80M's with the HS10W Sub in my studio and i just love them!

Very precise and neutral. If you place the Yamahas the right way in your studio they will beat the KRK's for sure (my personal experience).

I would go for the Yamahas!

I did check about 20 different reference monitors like Event, KRK, Dynaudio and so on and the funny thing was that when i did an A-B test the Yamahas just sounded right! So after 10 visits in the music store i did buy the Yamahas! and i Love them more every day!

One advise! Test the HS80's with the HS10W sub together only and don't just go for the HS80M's alone! They need the sub to get real DIRTY! and they really gets dirty even a louder studio session are no problem with this system. :twisted:

PS: Don't compare the old HS10's with the HS80's! The HS80's sounds way better than the old model and can not be compared i think.

....but again you have to decide for yourself!

Kind Regards :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:54 pm

I don't know man, how do you feel about the yams without the sub, for some reason subs seem to throw me off, I think my ears are stuck in the pre-sub era and I can't afford the sub anyhow. I'm doing alot of collage work with subtle nuances and shit, the bass frequencies are important but for instance I'm not doing any electronic music with sub bass in it no what I mean....

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:34 pm

I have the HS50's and am currently waiting for 8030's to come in to my local store to check them out before making another investment. I'm going to take my time this time around.

The HS50's have such a horrible fatiguing sound on them that I didn't notice until I had been using them daily for a few months. I wouldn't recommend them due to this.

Hope this helps :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Inch Lo wrote:I'm going to take my time this time around.
that is a wise choice!

otherwise you will waste money and unhappy hours making music again!
*** Image GAFM ***

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:41 pm

thats the thing. i havnt actually made any music since i started using these monitors.

the last thing i did is on my soundcloud from about 8 months ago, using a set of tannoy reveal 66

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:45 pm

well, still way to many people just don't realise what kind of extreme strong influence a good monitor setup has on the entire process of making music.

as i have one of those sentimental moments about our old club, but well... even there the easy trick to get the best performance out of every single artist we had ever playing there was simply through the way they could experience themselves and their music through a perfect sound and monitoring, same thing applies in a studio or on a stage for that matter.
*** Image GAFM ***

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:23 pm

SF is correct. Different people get different mileage depending on many factors. A treated room makes a lot of difference,, sometimes more so than speaker choice.

I have KRKs and they work great IN MY HOME SETUP. I've also heard them sound not so good in other people's setups. I've heard Yamaha HS80s and they are also good speakers, it's really very close and a matter of personal preference. I test all my mixes on at least 3 systems anyway to ensure the mix translates well, trusting just one source is not always going to cover it and remember, most folk are not going to be listening to CDs or plugging Ipods into active monitors made for DAWS, so I burn a cd-r and use my CD Boombox, Car stereo and Home Theatre to test mixes before committing them to the final CD or putting them out as mp3s etc. I almost always make some type of revision based on aggregating decisions from listening on all of those systems. I also use headphones as a check as many people are going to download and listen predominantly on Ipods/portable music devices on buds etc.

You have to listen to both. Both of these speaker types are good for their price range but you can't say one is better than the other unless you bring a variety of reference CDs etc and see which gives you the best response to your own ears. Remember though as stated earlier in the thread you are listening for neutrality. If you know your music is toppy for example and bring that down as a reference and suddenly it sounds like a grammy winning mix, then avoid. That is hyping or flattering an area which while sounding good, will not translate to most other people's systems where it will still sound toppy etc.

There are plenty of alternatives too. Adam A7s are good if you have a bit of extra budget, Dynaudio's speakers are good, JBL, Mackie, and many others do respectable speakers at this level.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Freedombeats

Post by Freedombeats » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Inch Lo wrote:I have the HS50's and am currently waiting for 8030's to come in to my local store to check them out before making another investment. I'm going to take my time this time around.

The HS50's have such a horrible fatiguing sound on them that I didn't notice until I had been using them daily for a few months. I wouldn't recommend them due to this.

Yo, I just got some HS 50's. I've had a few sessions on them, and I fully agree about the fatigue. The high end just mashes your ears in long sessions, I had to do the -2db hight cut. Fatigue aside, I like them and they are good as a reference monitor. What's your opinion on them just out of interest?
Rich

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Freedombeats wrote:
Inch Lo wrote:I have the HS50's and am currently waiting for 8030's to come in to my local store to check them out before making another investment. I'm going to take my time this time around.

Yo, I just got some HS 50's. I've had a few sessions on them, and I fully agree about the fatigue. The high end just mashes your ears in long sessions, I had to do the -2db hight cut. Fatigue aside, I like them and they are good as a reference monitor. What's your opinion on them just out of interest?
Rich
Reference is the word. I have the Yamaha's set up in 'NS10 mode' and find them very handy to A/B with. I use the Genelecs all day everyday now, but I find they can be too forgiving in some cases. Having both sets of monitors connected is great for getting a balanced mix. Now I'm using the Yamaha's to bring me back down to earth a bit.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:00 pm

i have a very positive opinion on the hs80 and hs50, really don't like the krk v6, and think that the v8 are okay

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Go for the Yamaha's but dont fool yourself! Listen to the Yamaha's with the HS80M and the HS10 subwoofer, after that you will for sure call the Yamaha's a winner, i love my system and i am more than happy with the Yamaha's. :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro