Good open source/free website editor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Good open source/free website editor?

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Is there something that can do what for example Dreamweaver does? I want to make something fairly simple but WYSIWYG would be best.

Angstrom

Re: Good open source/free website editor?

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:23 pm

if you are comparing solutions with Dreamweaver and are after a simple outcome I would suggest you just choose one of the popular CMS systems like wordpress /Expression Engine (or similar). Then pick a skin and edit it a bit.

Most solutions similar to Dreamweaver put out nasty code that's unpleasant to update.
Better off having a tidy templated CMS site that's easy to update and comes with lots of 3rd party support and add-ons.

I'm a web developer by day

Hertz SM

Post by Hertz SM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm

+1 for the easy way. tried posterous.com recently and it's quite charming due to its simple usage. Just send a mail to [yourblog]at.posterous.com and the headline will become your article headline and the mail text your message. Included attachments will be...you guess it...attached. Brilliant.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Im fooling around with wordpress. It seems like a nice system. Ive tried out a ton of templates.. They have all different building interfaces. The ones that looks the best are usually the most difficult to modify, with text based configurations all the way. And I don't understand much of that unfortunately. Some of them have really nice and helpful configuration menus, but they usually lack a lot of futures that I want.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Angstrom wrote:if you are comparing solutions with Dreamweaver and are after a simple outcome I would suggest you just choose one of the popular CMS systems like wordpress /Expression Engine (or similar). Then pick a skin and edit it a bit.

Most solutions similar to Dreamweaver put out nasty code that's unpleasant to update.
Better off having a tidy templated CMS site that's easy to update and comes with lots of 3rd party support and add-ons.

I'm a web developer by day

Wordpress does look good and my provider supports it. Until the project gets launched I just want to doodle with some ideas and have a more interesting place holder than I have now, I want it quite minimal anyway... Nice! Thanks, that might be the ticket...

kristian

Post by kristian » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:00 pm

We use joomla at work, although I'm not really using it that much personally

Rattmouth

Post by Rattmouth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:15 am

I haven't looked through these yet, but this'd be a good place to start...
http://alternativeto.net/desktop/adobe-dreamweaver/

--Matt

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 am

I've found Nvu to be quite useful. Free, simple and clean interface, easy to edit html as well as WYSIWYG editing if you need it.

http://net2.com/nvu/
Kit: Sony Vaio E-series laptop (Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM) RemoteZero SL, Launchpad, Akai MPD16 drumpad, cheap-ass MIDI keyboard

ian hands

Post by ian hands » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:21 am

jeskola01

Post by jeskola01 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

Depending on what you want to do, it's pretty flexible and a very simple cms/inteface to get your head around if your a beginner - and comes with some very well designed templates - try

http://cargocollective.com/

Check out the link in my signature - that took me around 15 mins to put together with it.
Thing is it was free for ages - but they have just announced a pricing plan after 15th January - though it is very cheap.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:52 pm

ian hands wrote:Here's another:

http://www.indexhibit.org/
ive seen this one alot recently, but mostly for visual artists. and although it looks nice they seem to look mostly the same.

any good sites to disprove either of those points?

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Aptana Studio

Check out the featured workflow video on the Studio page.

Edit: whoops, just saw that you want WYSIWYG.

+1 on the Wordpress solution, easy and efficient.

+1 on AlternativeTo.net for finding an alternative to Dreamweaver.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Hmm.. They all look ok to work with.

im a graphic designer and I have no web design experience or knowledge at all.
What id like to know is if I can make my designs into one picture, and cut it up into links, etc.

Lets say I wanted a hand drawn look. I take a piece of paper and a pencil. On top I draw the header logo, and underneath I write a line of words that I want to use for links. I scan it into photoshop, and from here I can cut it into pieces and export various file formats.

But in this scenario, is there a simple way to to copy this piece of paper drawing, while keeping the exact same layout, and transform it into a working web page?

derzai

Post by derzai » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Dont know, just for a simple webpage Notepad will do.

Then open the file in a browser and you will see what you get.

jeskola01

Post by jeskola01 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:35 pm

ze2be wrote:Hmm.. They all look ok to work with.

im a graphic designer and I have no web design experience or knowledge at all.
What id like to know is if I can make my designs into one picture, and cut it up into links, etc.

Lets say I wanted a hand drawn look. I take a piece of paper and a pencil. On top I draw the header logo, and underneath I write a line of words that I want to use for links. I scan it into photoshop, and from here I can cut it into pieces and export various file formats.

But in this scenario, is there a simple way to to copy this piece of paper drawing, while keeping the exact same layout, and transform it into a working web page?
Yeah, download the Adobe Fireworks demo, open your scan and then chop it up with slice tool, then export to images/html.
But to be honest the code it spits out is rubbish.