Fighting the Creativity Block

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jacqueslacouth

Fighting the Creativity Block

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 am

Been getting absolutely nothing for months now, half baked phrases, beats in my head that I don't seem to be able to create, riffs that sound good first time then shite when I record them....so....

This afternoon I've tidied up the studio in as much that I have wrapped up the hardware synth, the mpc, and other distracting bits and bobs. I am working with Live 7 using only Zebra 2.5, iDrum and assorted loops with the launchpad and keyboard. I've locked up all my guitars except the variax and kept 1 microphone out.

I'm hoping this allows me to concentrate more on what I'm doing than admiring and tinkering and lusting after more gear...if it works, I may even sell off a load of the hardware.

Lets see what happens, I had to try something.

UKRuss

Re: Fighting the Creativity Block

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am

Restricting yourself to one bit of kit is always a good way to go.

I've found recently that creativity has stemmed from simplicity away from the computer. One keyboard/synth and just play and get some stuff down easily. Play some drums, play some guitar.

Actually play and leave the programming alone for a while, get some audio down!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:12 am

Do a cover version. Even better a cheesy one, that way you know you'll never play it to anyone so you'll have to do it purely for FUN. Remembering making music is fun is a worthwhile exercise that will cure creative blocks.

Quantize

Post by Quantize » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 am

I often find analysing a piece of music I like and then trying to imitate it's structure or a few key elements works for me. It's usually enough to get my creativity flowing and fresh ideas buzzing around my head.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:53 am

Actually working already. Just playing a simple 140BPM 4/4 beat and jamming on the guitar...out of the seat already, moving around and thoroughly enjoying myself. You're dead right, playing is what is needed, not sitting on my fat arse programming the bloody computer. I might try to get my cousin in Canberra to pop over (I Haven't seen him in in over 25 years). I have recently caugt up on Facebook and he is still swinging out on bass....It was always more fun playing with others...yep...its the fun thing that has been missing.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 am

Jacqueslacouth wrote:Actually working already. Just playing a simple 140BPM 4/4 beat and jamming on the guitar...out of the seat already, moving around and thoroughly enjoying myself. You're dead right, playing is what is needed, not sitting on my fat arse programming the bloody computer. I might try to get my cousin in Canberra to pop over (I Haven't seen him in in over 25 years). I have recently caugt up on Facebook and he is still swinging out on bass....It was always more fun playing with others...yep...its the fun thing that has been missing.
Great now log off the internet QUICK!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Jacqueslacouth wrote:Actually working already. Just playing a simple 140BPM 4/4 beat and jamming on the guitar...out of the seat already, moving around and thoroughly enjoying myself. You're dead right, playing is what is needed, not sitting on my fat arse programming the bloody computer. I might try to get my cousin in Canberra to pop over (I Haven't seen him in in over 25 years). I have recently caugt up on Facebook and he is still swinging out on bass....It was always more fun playing with others...yep...its the fun thing that has been missing.
Nice.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Quantize

Post by Quantize » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 pm

Garyboozy: That can be so, so horribly true to life......

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Quantize wrote:Garyboozy: That can be so, so horribly true to life......
+1
On the other hand, let me know when that hamster decides to sell that Nord lead because what he REALLY needs is a Jupiter 8.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm

--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:44 pm

You got to get out of your box. Go listen to something radically different than what you write or usually listen to. Use a different workflow than usual. If you usually make loops in session view, lay out a simple arrangement in Arrange view and then fill in the details. You have everything you need right there in your room.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:17 pm

digitalgeist wrote:http://www.joshharrison.net/oblique-strategies/

Just hit refresh...
Thanks. Are they different to Eno's?

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:43 pm

just heard this advice recently that Frank Zappa gave in an interview

"number 1 - don't stop and number 2 - keep going and then you get whatever comes up!"

7min 40sec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXIi7lw_ ... r_embedded

esky

Post by esky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:55 pm

My favourite statement about this theme is from the ABBA keyboard guy. In an interview he sits in front of a Synclavier Computer Screen, points at it and says...: "Sometimes you have to just sit and play and wait until the tiger jumps out..."