Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Emissary
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:27 am

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Emissary » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 pm

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image
Image
Image

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:11 pm

McQ714 wrote: and to MW... we weren't comparing OSes based on which runs a usb audio interface better. and just because RME makes a comment like that, as much as i respect RME, doesn't prove anything. you would need to take 2 computers configured exactly the same to make that comparison and since Apple does not use the same mainboards that we use for custom PCs, you cannot make that comprison. the only thing we have to compare is price vs performance. and there is no arguing that PCs kick the Macs ass in that respect.
There are numerous OS level differences.
The obvious one is the different software that is OS specific.
The next level is how the OS interacts with hardware.
Obvious difference there is Apple controls the motherboard/logic board more so than Microsoft does,
beyond that it's essentially that Apple tests a configuration to death to make sure it's up to spec.
Generally this means that the average Mac is better than the average Dell, and costs more.

Then you get into things like how the OS deals with interfaces, RME are not the kind of company to say that Apple did a better job with USB audio spec coding wise than Microsoft did without testing it to death themselves. They trashed on Apple as much or more than PCs for years for specific reasons, and even to this day you get a free audio analysis tool on the PC side VS Mac, they are not in any way Mac centric. They are also very much interested in keeping their rep as hardcore tech guys, they don't talk blindly without testing, period.

Audio MIDI Setup is core to OSX, and is very arguably a better deal than AISO or AISO4ALL.
The fact that it's even there is cool. For whatever reason, (probably the numerous hardware configs) MIDI drivers on OSX have always fewer versions and less people complaining about them from various manufacturers.

I think a big plus on the Windows side is that most coders for VST plug ins started on Windows, so in some cases the plug in is more stable out the door with a new version. Windows has been less of a moving target than OSX, this is a plus and a negative, but mostly a plus.

I drive a $500 van. I don't understand any of you who buy new cars? $500 a month to have other people think you're well off etc.,. and to prevent breaking down etc. = not worth it to me. I'll take the at least $4000 savings and go through junkers, not an issue.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Obvious difference there is Apple controls the motherboard/logic board more so than Microsoft does,
back up this claim.
beyond that it's essentially that Apple tests a configuration to death to make sure it's up to spec.
back this up too. what do you know of their testing? what do you know of any company's testing?
Then you get into things like how the OS deals with interfaces, RME are not the kind of company to say that Apple did a better job with USB audio spec coding wise than Microsoft did without testing it to death themselves. They trashed on Apple as much or more than PCs for years for specific reasons, and even to this day you get a free audio analysis tool on the PC side VS Mac, they are not in any way Mac centric. They are also very much interested in keeping their rep as hardcore tech guys, they don't talk blindly without testing, period.
interesting. got a link? what is this analysis tool?
Audio MIDI Setup is core to OSX, and is very arguably a better deal than AISO or AISO4ALL.
The fact that it's even there is cool. For whatever reason, (probably the numerous hardware configs) MIDI drivers on OSX have always fewer versions and less people complaining about them from various manufacturers.
back this up.
I think a big plus on the Windows side is that most coders for VST plug ins started on Windows, so in some cases the plug in is more stable out the door with a new version. Windows has been less of a moving target than OSX, this is a plus and a negative, but mostly a plus.
most plug ins start in Windows? back this up.

fanboy bullshit.

if this thread proves anything it's that Mac people are fucked in the head in love with their computers.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by beats me » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm

I think this all parallels the resentment of the hot chick and her boyfriend.

eightbit
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by eightbit » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Obvious difference there is Apple controls the motherboard/logic board more so than Microsoft does,
back up this claim.
Simple. Windows is expected to run on nearly any combination of modern hardware. OSX only runs on the hardware that Apple has deemed compatible and has included in their own boxes.

Do you pay for that in the sticker price? Yep. Is it worth it for me? Yep.

Obviously, to each his own.

Also, just saying "Back up this claim" to everything is not a reasonable way to converse. It makes you look like an ass.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:52 pm

beats me wrote:I think this all parallels the resentment of the hot chick and her boyfriend.
no, it's the ugly drunk fat chick dancing on the bar, wiggling her muffin top thinking she's all hot. she's not, we're just waiting for her to leave.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:54 pm

eightbit wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Obvious difference there is Apple controls the motherboard/logic board more so than Microsoft does,
back up this claim.
Simple. Windows is expected to run on nearly any combination of modern hardware. OSX only runs on the hardware that Apple has deemed compatible and has included in their own boxes.

Do you pay for that in the sticker price? Yep. Is it worth it for me? Yep.

Obviously, to each his own.

Also, just saying "Back up this claim" to everything is not a reasonable way to converse. It makes you look like an ass.
wow, sensitive about your computer? :lol:

machinesworking is known to rant about stuff he doesn't know about. he's making statement of fact, there's no way I'm taking his word on how Apple runs their business. what do either of you know about Apple's internal workings?

asking him to back up his claim is a bad move? that's just a dumb defensive thing to write.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

eightbit
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by eightbit » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Tone Deft wrote:what do either of you know about Apple's internal workings?
Not terribly much. However, is there anything that I've said that is untrue?
Tone Deft wrote:asking him to back up his claim is a bad move? that's just a dumb defensive thing to write.
Nah, not defensive. Sometimes I just forget that people come here more to yell at each other than actually converse.

My bad, I'll step out now. FWIW, I'm not really sure what this tablet thing is all about, but from the various leaks and rumors...I don't think I'm terribly interested either.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

agreed. it's all quite silly and mostly trolling.

it's all about something that's not even released yet, Beats Me just wanted to make a troll thread.

Image
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

tw1nstates
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Tone Deft wrote:

if this thread proves anything it's that Mac people are fucked in the head in love with their computers.
Ha ha, that's hillarious.

For one who is so pedantic about facts, that my friend, is a huge generalisation.

There is no factual basis in what you are saying, it's just your opinion!

Which you are entitled to but be a good boy and stop shoving it down other peoples throat every chance you get eh?

It's not true simply because you say it is, it's what people call an opinion, therefore subjective. . .

Please, if you can prove that 'Mac people are fucked in the head' and 'in love with their computers' then I would be interested to see how you came about this fascinating piece of psychological / sociological knowledge.

As (I am sure) would many others in our society. for example I am sure that the schools over here would be interested in Tone Deft from the internet's latest piece of research and the ramifications for numerous educational establishments that have their IT facilities kitted out with macs. Heaven forfend that this research might stand up to critical analysis and peer review as it might mean that said schools might be facilitating widespread 'fucked in the head'ness' and 'computer love' and that clearly would be a bad thing.

Furthermore Hollywood would probably have to drop all their lucrative product placement deals with Apple so I am sure that there will be many a film producer in the balmy climes of Los Angeles that would rue the name Tone Deft and his remarkably erudite research. . .

:)
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 pm

you're unaware of the phenomenon of Mac fanboys? it's a HUGE cultural movement. Apple has to have one of the highest levels of customer loyalty, it's a feeding frenzy. look at who makes these threads, Apple people.

nice personal attack. :roll: oh, you're a Mac user.

you've been trolled. :lol: too easy.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

tw1nstates
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you're unaware of the phenomenon of Mac fanboys? it's a HUGE cultural movement. Apple has to have one of the highest levels of customer loyalty, it's a feeding frenzy.

retard. :roll:
Ha ha,

You are quite amusing.

I was talking about generalisations, for example. I don't know if you like Star Trek, I did when I was a kid, enough so i'd be relatively exited when it came on tv (not nearly as much as The A Team or Airwolf though). . . Anyway, a generalisation is when one makes a statement (such as you did about mac users) that takes a conclusion gleaned from specific instances and extrapolates it so that it has a general application. The main problem is that they often don't work when applied to people (as everybody is essentially different), and what is often worse it can lead to discrimination and stigmatisation of certain social groups, personality types, genders, hell even ethnicity sometimes gets a look in. There was this guy in Germany and another one in Russia that liked to make big generalisations about people. Fortunately a bunch of other people all banded together and taught them the error of their ways.

Anyway, I get that you are frustrated by other people not thinking the way that you do. It's not uncommon and I see that it often brings you to comment on here but hey, there's a bright side. If we all liked the same stuff as you then all the things that you like might be a little harder to get - the supermarket would probably always be out of your favorite stuff unless you queued up for hours before it opened and you would probably be sick of looking at the same car every time you drove anywhere. etc etc etc. .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

tw1nstates
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:08 pm

I use both,

I just find that particular thought meme (generalisation about a group of ppl pretty low end).

I actually quite like my windows boxes cos they are cheap. I like my mac cos it wasn't that much more and it's a bit easier to play with.

I think i'll like my hackintosh the best cos then I get cheap ass macness and can run windows 7 too. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

tw1nstates
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 pm

interestingly though,

The mac lot must be doing something right to have that level of customer loyalty.

I was rabidly against them - although the people who used them perhaps not so much :) anyway, a buddy of mine who makes music and is head of it for a large uk media company got a mac book. I told him he was stupid. He told me i was, said use it for a bit, i did, the rest is history. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Cool Character
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:48 am

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by Cool Character » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 pm

tw1nstates wrote:interestingly though,

The mac lot must be doing something right to have that level of customer loyalty.
And so must Nickleback.

Interestingly, indeed. 8)

Post Reply