Storing and selecting plug in presets as clips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wisemonkey

Storing and selecting plug in presets as clips?

Post by wisemonkey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:41 am

Hi - this seems like an obvious feature, but I can seem to find a way to do it:

Say I have an effect plugin on a track in the session view.

For example, a guitar plugin like Amplitube is on track 1, through which a guitar is being played.

When I select the next scene down, I would like the Amplitube plugin setting to change to another preset.

Is there a way to store plugin presets in a dummy clip so that when the scene changes to the next one, the plugin changes to a different preset?

Thanks!
WiseMonkey
ooo oo ooo

Slightlydelic

Re: Storing and selecting plug in presets as clips?

Post by Slightlydelic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:57 am

you would need to create the preset in the clip using the envelopes.
practicaly impossable if your recreating presets that already exist, but doable if you actualy tweeked and created patches within the envelope environment rather than the instruments interface.

the little midi out and back in trick that lets you record into clip envelopes will help.

wisemonkey

Post by wisemonkey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:14 am

Hi Slightlydelic,

Thanks for the quick response!

So what you're saying is I'd need to create an envelope where I move a control, say change gain from 0 to 5 for example, and then record that and fire that off as a clip?

Can you explain the midi out and back trick in more detail, or point me to a link?

Am I missing something, or is it strange that live lets you store effect presets, but there's no simple facility to recall them. Mainstage for example gives that functionality.

Thanks.
WiseMonkey
ooo oo ooo

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:22 am

wisemonkey wrote:Hi - this seems like an obvious feature, but I can seem to find a way to do it:

Say I have an effect plugin on a track in the session view.

For example, a guitar plugin like Amplitube is on track 1, through which a guitar is being played.

When I select the next scene down, I would like the Amplitube plugin setting to change to another preset.

Is there a way to store plugin presets in a dummy clip so that when the scene changes to the next one, the plugin changes to a different preset?

Thanks!
It is possible to do this as i use to do that myself. But there are issues like the time differnce it takes the particular fx or sound you are loading up to star playing so inessence you get a gap. i abdondend it.
Really the simplest route is either to duplicate the track you are playing so you have an exact copy running beside it and play the clip that you are hoping to have running though the other preset that way. Yes it uses more cpu power but it alleviates any change lag in fx or vst presets. I guess your asking this becuase you want to save on cpu resources. The easiest way to help reduce cpu overhead is once your happy commit or freeze tracks to audio.

hope this helps
:)

wisemonkey

Post by wisemonkey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:10 am

Ah - ok. I see what you're talking about.
Run multiple tracks armed simultaneously with the same plugin on it, with different settings, and then switch between tracks.

So, what's the best way to mute a channel from a clip for the duration of a particular scene?
Create an envelope with zero volume? Activate/deactivate the plugin?

To clarify, I'm doing all of this live in realtime, so freezing tracks, etc isn't an option.

Cheers.
WiseMonkey
ooo oo ooo

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:23 am

wisemonkey wrote:Ah - ok. I see what you're talking about.
Run multiple tracks armed simultaneously with the same plugin on it, with different settings, and then switch between tracks.

So, what's the best way to mute a channel from a clip for the duration of a particular scene?
Create an envelope with zero volume? Activate/deactivate the plugin?

To clarify, I'm doing all of this live in realtime, so freezing tracks, etc isn't an option.

Cheers.
Very simply just miss the clipout on the line ( scene) or channel that you dont want it to play on. Then reintroduce it again when you want it play again. I would leave out messing abhout with zero voluming clips in this situation as its just more unessarry thinking :D
Freezing is good and can work well in a live situation. Its what we do so that ervyting we play out live with is sounds as good as our record releases if you see what i mean.Spend an hour so so with it itll come easily for you.

best
:)