Automating Solo Button

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

Automating Solo Button

Post by evon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 pm

I just realized that in Live7 the Solo button cannot be automated. I rechecked all my settings and can find nothing to allow me to do this.
Am I missing something?
fe real!

S4racen

Re: Automating Solo Button

Post by S4racen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Can i ask why you want to??

Might be able to come up with a solution between us..... I know it can be done with MAx4Live though....

Cheers
D

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:07 pm

I am trying my best to answer without sounding rude or anything, but why would I want to automate the solo button! Because I would like to use one touch to solo a track or set of tracks and be able to toggle it.

I work in the "dub" reggae genre, if your are familar with this type of music then you should understand.
fe real!

buzby

Post by buzby » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:20 pm

evon wrote:I am trying my best to answer without sounding rude or anything, but why would I want to automate the solo button! Because I would like to use one touch to solo a track or set of tracks and be able to toggle it.

I work in the "dub" reggae genre, if your are familar with this type of music then you should understand.

is this for performing live ? you can midi up your solo buttons to solo tracks or multiple tracks but as you ve pointed out the solo button activity will not be recorded as automation
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:51 pm

evon wrote:I am trying my best to answer without sounding rude or anything, but why would I want to automate the solo button! Because I would like to use one touch to solo a track or set of tracks and be able to toggle it.

Sorry, i wasn't intending to offend i can see how it could be read as such, i meant as in to explain the use of it....

Have you set in the preferences to have exclusive cue / solo deactivated?

The way I'd do it is to use dummy clips that are midi clips, these would be sent out of Ableton through an external instrument and returned as a loop through an IAC driver, the midi notes within each clip would be the midi cc mapped to the cue solo button and so by playing the clip (which gets recorded) you'd be automating the cue / solo buttons.... you'd need a dummy midi track per audio track so that you could do the multiple solos at the same time.....

Cheers
D

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:41 am

i've always thought that it was kind of weak that the solo couldn't be automated in Live - it sure would beat muting 10 other channels or chopping out a bunch of audio to get the same effect (that's what i have to do now to get the solo effect, run a section in loop mode and chop until it feels like a spontaneous mash of a solo button) ... soloing as part of the sonic palette of mixing is an absolutely essential feature for old school dub mixing, and it's a very common technique for doing dropouts in all kinds of musical genres. you could just resample the mix out as you did it, but that can be a pain in the ass if the session uses a lot of CPU, latency isn't optimal, you fatfinger the punch in/out, etc.

give us solo automation, Ableton.... it can't be that hard.

jake noise

Post by jake noise » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I dont think you can automate the solo button, but as a work around put utilities set to reduce the gain of the track down to nothing on each track then automate the device on/off switch for these utilities.

ie. this allows you to automate turning the track on/off. Not ideal as its not the same as a solo button, but its halfway there...
MBP 2.4, Live 7, Logic 8, Maschine, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, Komplete 6, Novation Nocturn, Alesis Micron, Jap Fender Jaguar, lots of guitar pedals...

evon

Post by evon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:07 pm

jake noise wrote:I dont think you can automate the solo button, but as a work around put utilities set to reduce the gain of the track down to nothing on each track then automate the device on/off switch for these utilities.

ie. this allows you to automate turning the track on/off. Not ideal as its not the same as a solo button, but its halfway there...
Very good idea jake noise. However, as blackbeltzjones pointed out it might not be good enough for "old style dubbing". The main drawback is that you would have to do this in clip view and this would entail more steps in the process of soloing which limits significantly the flexibility in dubbing.
fe real!

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:18 pm

Not sure if this will help but I use the Genmce Mackie EMU on my BCR2k which allows for midi controll of the the solo buttons.

Therefore there must be some kind of script inside live to allow this?

(I have been using the BCR this way for so long I had no idea that the solo buttons were in fact un-mappable!!??)

Maybe these links will help:

http://www.mooncaine.net/live_6_mackie_ ... cb1010.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/pdf/Live5_MCU.pdf

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:02 pm

evon wrote:
jake noise wrote:I dont think you can automate the solo button, but as a work around put utilities set to reduce the gain of the track down to nothing on each track then automate the device on/off switch for these utilities.

Very good idea jake noise. However, as blackbeltzjones pointed out it might not be good enough for "old style dubbing". The main drawback is that you would have to do this in clip view and this would entail more steps in the process of soloing which limits significantly the flexibility in dubbing.

there's mute automation already, that's no problem - there's no need to go through the trouble of putting a utility plug on each channel. soloing mutes all other channels except the one that the solo button has been activated on.

evon

Post by evon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:47 pm

I probably should have mentioned that I use a Korg NanoKontrol. Guess I will have to look for a script.
fe real!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:45 pm

evon wrote:I probably should have mentioned that I use a Korg NanoKontrol. Guess I will have to look for a script.
the myr script allows that, if i understand what you want to do correctly, and if you mod on top in the nanoKontrol editor you can manage up to 48 track's solo buttons.
*** Image GAFM ***

evon

Post by evon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:56 pm

SubFunk wrote:
evon wrote:I probably should have mentioned that I use a Korg NanoKontrol. Guess I will have to look for a script.
the myr script allows that, if i understand what you want to do correctly, and if you mod on top in the nanoKontrol editor you can manage up to 48 track's solo buttons.
I am totally at sea with your answer. I now have to search for "myr" and "mod on top". However, thanks for the leads.
fe real!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm

here is the script

there is the myr original version and the already mod'ed sub :wink: , version.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122993

and here you have a template that allows 24 channels already (made it myself) and you can just add 8 channels on scene 4 if you need to.
(sorry maximal are 32 at once possible, not 48, my bad) scene 4 is in my case for the device controls (the 8 macros)
but you can mod that as well, however you need it, the original included in the script download will give you and inside)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ws7f3e

just read a bit through the myralfur thread and you get the drift what is possible with it, it's absolute AWESOME!

oops, i just realise, it might only work in 8 ??? you need it for 7 right?, well maybe it works anyway...?
*** Image GAFM ***

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm

fader, use it.