The Finger by NI vs ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
milfhuntr

The Finger by NI vs ??

Post by milfhuntr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 am

I am thinking about getting the Finger from NI. Anyone know what the CPU hit is and if there is a Reaktor effect that will do similar things without buying the Finger?

Also I think Sugar Bytes might have something similar or better?

nepotist

Re: The Finger by NI vs ??

Post by nepotist » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 am

Sugar Bytes has Artillery. I have it, it's great for live stuff.
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

Illum

Post by Illum » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:12 am

artillery, buffershuffler+racks, beatlookup for reaktor, lucifer...I'm sure I'm missing some
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:29 am

you want to check out chris list's beat-lookup and moldover's master channel ensemble exstension of beat-lookup before you spend money on the finger, there is one major difference that I know of though.

http://www.controllerism.com/

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... beatlookup

beatlookup and the master channel ensemble can both jump around differnt cue point of incoming audio and apply FX, but they are a linear signal path and do not re-route the FX order according to their activation order, the jump and juggle section is always before the FX section.

(I think) the finger automatically reroutes the audio signal according to what order the FX are triggered in. so if you hit the filter first and then hit the jump/juggle commands the audio signal will be affected in the same order or signal path, this re arraigning of what happens first can have a minimal or massive effect on how the sound comes out.

the master channel ensemble version of beatlookup has more cue point triggers built into it, just delete the "smart knob section" and use that version as a starting point.
you can always changre what key controls each function, but buy default it will be as listed below.

it will give you 2 master jump points C2/D2 which can be changed in both time length and time position by midi as well as a set position triggers for bars 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, these are assigned to midi keys C-2/C-1

there is also a scratch/powerdown effect, a random juggle control with some nice timing patterns, an instant reverse and a few other tricks.

I'm working on my own version of it with a really nice playable multi-filter section to it.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:43 am

cool thread!

The finger looks nice indeed, artillery is also nice, simple to use. It combines effects but doesn't re-reroute.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

FLaKes

Post by FLaKes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 am

I have Finger and its really nice :D

I had beatlookup before, but I didnt really like it as much as Finger...

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 am

i have the finger and artillery and i like to use them both with the finger first in the chain.

the thing is that artillery has better launch facilities in that you can choose the quantize for when the fx turn on, so makes it better i feel for beat repeat and scratch effects, plus artillery 2.1 has a new time stretch algorithm which i think is better than the one of the finger, but the multiple routing options on the finger does make it an amazing place for strange sound design journeys, and the added use of the mod wheel and velocity makes it even more interesting. just make sure you do your best to use it differently from everyone else who is using it, or people will hear you and go 'oh, thats the finger' ;)

i'm gonna make a run down video of the 2 of them soon for youtube.

plus if you have reaktor then its way cheaper than artillery.

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 am

If you own Reaktor, get The Finger. It's very flexible and easy to edit in Reaktor. In Kore it seems crippled and way more CPU hungry.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Artillery 2 is awesome, FWIW. I'm sure the Finger is equally cool, but I went for Artillery in
the end, because if you don't own Reaktor, the Finger is pretty limited, as I understand it.

Oh, and not only did I get Artillery at a discount (which was obviously an offer introduced to
compete with the cheaper Finger), but I also just got a sweet $35 discount which I spent on the
WOW Filterbox. Excellent products, and super nice people; can't go wrong.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 pm

slaykent wrote:...The Finger. It's very flexible and easy to edit in Reaktor. In Kore it seems crippled and way more CPU hungry.
+1
No editing of patches without Reaktor.

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:02 pm

FLaKes wrote:I have Finger and its really nice :D

CPU hit?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 pm

milfhuntr wrote:
FLaKes wrote:I have Finger and its really nice :D

CPU hit?

The CPU hit is very small, even with 6 FX activated. The Finger is a lot like beatlookUp except that the Finger does not do jump points. It does stutter points, but not really jumps. I have used all these kinds of devices and I find the Finger to be top of the heap. It's ultra low on CPU, it's easy to navigate and play, and chains up to 6 effect in the order you press the keys. WICKED!

Although the finger "seems" comparable, to me it stands apart from the rest.

My only complaint, no jump points, and the gater does not seem as smooth as BeatLookUps. However you get synched envelope/velocity controlled gate times which is a nice trade off.

Like others have mentioned, Reaktor gives you more options. Almost nessicary ones for the Finger. I thought it was worth my money and I'd hate to be without it after using it.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Whoa, I wouldnt call The Finger ultra low on the CPU! I have a very fast system and stacking on several of the intense effects can get my cpu up higher than anything I else I run.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Mac 2.4GHz C2D

one fx, from 1 to 3%
six fx, from 10 to 15%

all depends on which fx you use..
TF really is a class on its own..

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:28 pm

dble post..