Low Latency Soundcards

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoxDJ

Low Latency Soundcards

Post by BoxDJ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:15 am

Hey, I'm looking for a low latency soundcard because I'll most likely be playing live soon. I was looking at the Fireface UC but it was way out of my price range. I'm looking for something under $600.

I'm still developing the gear so, does the APC 40 connect USB and/or MIDI In Out? Which is preferred for quality and latency? Same with midi controllers and such, is it better to connect MIDI In Out or USB?

I may have more questions later.

zalo

Re: Low Latency Soundcards

Post by zalo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 am

spend the extra money, the rme is worth it

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:25 am

Is the Ultralite good for live? I have Windows 7 though. Would that cause problems?

suburbmusic

Post by suburbmusic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 am

i got the audio 8 dj. works fine for live imo. i bought it with the traktor software.

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Bamp

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm

the APC40 is midi-over-usb. and i have no opinion on an interface because you've already shot down the price range i'd put you in.

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 am

Is Fireface the only soundcard worth investing in then?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 am

Weeell put it this way, I've owned a Multiface since 2002, and a Fireface400 since 2004, and they are both rock solid. Great sound, fantastic low latency whilst still being exceptionally stable - especially under heavy 8in/8out+ loads, built like the proverbial tank out of solid metal. Mine have both toured all over the planet for the last 8/6 years in an un-shockmounted SKB rack and subjected to god-knows-what abuse at the hands of the baggage chuckers, and both are still running perfectly.

I really think it is worth the investment. I think its worth stretching to a bit of gear that will inspire you and travel with you to the next level. If you can stretch to it now, you'll get years and years out of it. Should hold their re-sale price well too.

There's an old saying: "Long after the price is forgotten, the shittyness lingers on." :)
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

zalo

Post by zalo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:56 am

also i would like to point out how much better everything sounded when i switched to my FF400 (which can be purchased at a cheaper price right now than the UC)

someone correct me if im wrong but the AD/DA and the preamps are the same on the UC/400

my old soundcard quit on me during a show, i had another show in 2 days, i didnt want a repeat of the same situation

i researched online for a low latency soundcard that stood the test of time and that just worked

everywhere i looked the only brand that didnt have ifs or buts after its suggestion was RME, bought it, took 20 minutes to figure out TotalMix and havent looked back since

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:10 pm

What is the difference between the Digiface, Multiface, and the Fireface 400? Is it just less channels, less inputs, and lower quality recording?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm

digiface has 3 ADAT I/Os, a SPDIF I/O and a headphone out. for this unit you would want preamps with A/D conversion and/or multi-channel AD/DA converters.
multiface 2 has 8 1/4" ins and outs, SPDIF I/O, an ADAT I/O, and a headphone out. this is my recommendation if you already have a good preamp or two.

with those two units, you need either a HDSPe PCI-e card for a desktop computer connection or the Express card equivalent for a laptop connection. they are not firewire interfaces! and if i'm not mistaken, both of the above unit are 24-bit/96 khz units whereas the Fireface series is 192 khz.

the Fireface 400 is a lot like the Multiface 2 except that it gives you two mic preamps and 2 instrument inputs on the front fascia and has 8 balanced 1/4" outs but 2 are intended to be the headphone output on the front fascia.

i've got the Multiface 2 connected to my home computer and i love it. i would love to have another connected to that computer and a 3rd unit for use with a laptop.

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:33 am

McQ714 wrote:digiface has 3 ADAT I/Os, a SPDIF I/O and a headphone out. for this unit you would want preamps with A/D conversion and/or multi-channel AD/DA converters.
multiface 2 has 8 1/4" ins and outs, SPDIF I/O, an ADAT I/O, and a headphone out. this is my recommendation if you already have a good preamp or two.

with those two units, you need either a HDSPe PCI-e card for a desktop computer connection or the Express card equivalent for a laptop connection. they are not firewire interfaces! and if i'm not mistaken, both of the above unit are 24-bit/96 khz units whereas the Fireface series is 192 khz.

the Fireface 400 is a lot like the Multiface 2 except that it gives you two mic preamps and 2 instrument inputs on the front fascia and has 8 balanced 1/4" outs but 2 are intended to be the headphone output on the front fascia.

i've got the Multiface 2 connected to my home computer and i love it. i would love to have another connected to that computer and a 3rd unit for use with a laptop.
Why is it I need preamps for these? Sorry, I'm still fresh to audio.

zalo

Post by zalo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:06 am

unless you are dealing with line level devices, you are going to need a preamp to convert them to line level

things like guitars and mics do not operate at line level volumes

these things need a preamp in the chain to deliver proper quality audio signals to the sound card

out of all three of the options, the lowest final cost soundcard that will provide you with a nice mix of options would be the Fireface400/UC

for a multiface2 with express card is currently 1150 but you cant plug a mic or a guitar directly into it, if you want to do that you will have to buy a preamp which will be another 150-300 dollars to get a decent quality SINGLE channel preamp

250-500 for a DUAL channel preamp

again, i bought my FF400 for 1250, which includes 2 mic pres, 2 Hi-Z inputs and firewire interface

if you are just going to be pumping synths and samplers into live during your set then you will probably be fine with the multiface2 (the digiface is probably not for you) but if you are planning on having a mic on stage that gets routed into live your best bet would most likely be the Fireface400/UC

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 am

RME is one of those rare products [brands] you hardly can ever regret investing into.
*** Image GAFM ***

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:53 pm

rme....is the way to go...
nothing comes close to the 'digiCheck' software..for analyzing your inputs/outputs
the sound is superb...
built like a tank.. and a workhorse...

although the new ultralite looks quite nice as a simple all round solution...
I've never had any bad experiences with MOTU products/drivers...
and the mk3 has both firewire AND USB...
motu are quality as well..
so if you can't afford to get an RME.. I'd go with them.