Now... let's make some leads!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Jekblad

Now... let's make some leads!

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 am

Inspired by the let's make a pad thread.

Basic ingredients for a lead:

?
?
Distortion :twisted:

obviously a short attack, maybe monophonic? When is it a appropriate to have an envelope on the filter type thing?
The only thing i can hear is a Hypersaw. It's my favorite sound from a synth, trying to expand my mind to allowing other types of noise in.
A pad is in stereo, bass usually pretty mono, and so a lead should be...?

I know this is noob type stuff that you have to "find out on your own", but everyone has their own way of doing things so please share it.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Jekblad

Re: Now... let's make some leads!

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:45 am

the other bit that makes a lead is the lead line. I feel like that's where i fall short most of the time. Not much you can do there i guess....
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 am

take a pad sound and decrease the ADSR settings.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 am

Portamento. Sine wave.

.m

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 am

my first is using a synth with uber quick attack. has to be capable of a click when you hit the note (not really but it's cool) then back off attack a bit. but more importantly i use two solid basic waves, square and saw. get the pulse width right on it make sure your oscillators have no phasing. find a good filter to actually dial in what frequency your playing, boost the res and cut till the sound pops out on x synth. then comes distortion, the key that i have found is to not over do it. the way it comes through on your monitors is not the same way it's perceived in a track.. keep it full and low, give it some room to breath then bump it all up on the mastering side if ya's have someone to do it for you.. or just bump it all up yourself at the end.. can't stress enough though about getting your first two oscillators clean and full. everything else comes later, and if it phases on the bottom end you're gonna have some mushy turd...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:02 am

I love a bit of autopanning in leads. When its getting all twiddly, I love a bit of stereo interest/wobble in there too. It sounds... more free. I love the panning getting loopy-er as the part gets loopy-er.
Last edited by Pitch Black on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 am

also wavetable stuff usually adds good results with envelops pushing other oscillators for the initial sound.

and as far as i've tested, abletons saturator is hands down the best for distorted lead basses/whatever. set that to waveshaper with color on, base a bit below zero, global drive anywhere from zero to 10dB and wave curve about 5 percent.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 am

detune the osc's.. so there's a little tension.. always helps me..

Nice post willdahbe..

Hd

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:25 am

heavensdaw wrote:detune the osc's.. so there's a little tension.. always helps me..

Nice post willdahbe..

Hd
thanks yo. yes detune definitely helps on a lead, have to make sure if you hold the note for a measure it doesn't sink then pop back up. otherwise it's just to sloppy and won't cut through properly. i'm a sucker for a good unison, just really hard to tame it sometimes. a bit of fm usually cures all crazyness though with some sync involved in that piece...

KainProject

Post by KainProject » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:59 am

How to Super Saw:

-Grab 2 saw Waves (Synth/VST Oscillators)
-Pan one left 45% leave a little bleed so you still have some center, do the same for the right side.
-Lower the pitch of the left saw wave by 12 ie. one octave.
-Detune the saw wave on the Right side upwards to create some more tonal energy.

ADSR:

Attack: -Lowest attack possible, to get that snappy hit.
Decay: -Around 10% upwards in length (Make sure it's longer than the Release)
Sustain: -Depending on what you use the sound for you can alter the actual response length when pressing down on the keyboard keys.
For example, you can leave the Sustain control at nothing when trying to achieve a stabby hit/lead.
Release: -Depending on the synth/vst you might get clicks when the release is short, just listen to the sound when playing with the Release until there's a smooth fade out.

Some comp/phaser/Subtle verb.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:36 am

what is a lead? for the synth solo at 2/3?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:39 am

KainProject wrote:How to Super Saw:

-Grab 2 saw Waves (Synth/VST Oscillators)
-Pan one left 45% leave a little bleed so you still have some center, do the same for the right side.
-Lower the pitch of the left saw wave by 12 ie. one octave.
-Detune the saw wave on the Right side upwards to create some more tonal energy.

ADSR:

Attack: -Lowest attack possible, to get that snappy hit.
Decay: -Around 10% upwards in length (Make sure it's longer than the Release)
Sustain: -Depending on what you use the sound for you can alter the actual response length when pressing down on the keyboard keys.
For example, you can leave the Sustain control at nothing when trying to achieve a stabby hit/lead.
Release: -Depending on the synth/vst you might get clicks when the release is short, just listen to the sound when playing with the Release until there's a smooth fade out.

Some comp/phaser/Subtle verb.
not to denounce what you just said, but wouldn't a lead be more effective with the bulk of the sound in the middle of the stereo spectrum? with a lower octave on one side then the upper harmonics on the the other, it seems it would cut the lead apart.. otherwise making it sound like a 1960 recording with everything panned super hard.

panning is good, but to me not so much when you're trying to convey lead "distortion :twisted: " as jekblad put it.. i have heard crazy distorted leads panned all over the place with bass going at it, but it's hard to come by that type of on point production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMBvQYesc_E

a little after 2:30 in that clip is some of the most intense panning/modulation of lead and bass i've ever heard without it being experimental. not super distorted but tits none the less. put on some headphones if ya got em...

KainProject

Post by KainProject » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Merge with a utility -> spread 0%

Though super saw leads tend to be on the wide side. (I was just taking it as example.)
Hey, just giving my thoughts, there's no fixed way of doing things to create music just make sure everything mixes well together.

Try to saturate/amplify/Distort Subtle faint sounds, If you distort a already hard signal you might not get the desired results.
Phasing/flanger/chorus over a distorted signal can sound nice but don't drown the signal.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:40 pm

**** GOOD MELODY ****

you can detune, dephase, saturate, over tweak a shitty melody, it will still be a shitty melody :lol:

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:07 pm

monstrejumo wrote:**** GOOD MELODY ****

you can detune, dephase, saturate, over tweak a shitty melody, it will still be a shitty melody :lol:
+1

If we're on the Electro Tip, I would also say it must bounce and I personally like to mix it up with long sustains, short stabs and 16th's or triplets all in the same riff over 8 bars. I typically combine 2 or more contrasting sounds played off each other to create the "lead" or Hook.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"