Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marqs

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by marqs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:52 pm

SubFunk wrote:Do i understand correctly? there is no full midi support (if you don't want to use any vinyl/CDs or something like a VCI-100) for serato yet? anyone in the know if that is supposed to come...?

so far from what i gather, weak...

no dedicated serato/ableton small awesome light practicle usb powered dedicated controller yet? for pure DJ-ing.

double weak.

ableton, the most forward thinking audio software and you still need vinyls or CDs (something moving in rounds :roll: ) for DJ-ing with the collab?

or did i get that wrong here???
i am confused.

Plenty of controllers (from Pioneer, Denon etc). Serato can be controlled via any midi capable device in "internal mode".
Live 8.2.5.b1
Macbook Pro 13": 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, WD Scorpio Black 500GB (7200rpm/16MB), WD Scorpio Black 320GB (7200rpm/16MB) via OWC On-The-Go Pro (FW 800), Mac OS X Lion 10.7, Apogee DUET 2, Serato Scratch Live (SL1)

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:58 pm

i also wonder how sensitive controlling the clips are using control vinyl.. i mean for like turntablist use.. how about control of midi clips? but again it's free.. how often does that happen from Ableton.. i think Serato is rubbing off on them because all their updates have been free.. unlike M4L, I really want to beta test this..

Post by 102455 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm

"It's free, it's free!"

It's not really though, is it?

You've got to own both programs.

The only way to use Scratch Live or ITCH is to buy HARDWARE, which is EXPENSIVE!

The cheapest way in that I can see (to get full functionality out of Mixtape mode)
is to buy a Vestax VCI-300, which is £600.

The other options are all £1000 or more.

Not exactly pocket money!

Even to get the most basic functionality (ATC mode & two track record in Mixtape mode)
requires spending around £400 for an SL1 box etc.

I'm tempted to go for a VCI though, if it all works properly!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Can you testdrive serato without the interface?

It's been about 2 years ago that i played with it via control vinyls (to test it out at friends), but that is exactly what i don't want, i am more interested along a X1
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 pm

nuxnamon wrote:i also wonder how sensitive controlling the clips are using control vinyl.. i mean for like turntablist use.. how about control of midi clips? but again it's free.. how often does that happen from Ableton.. i think Serato is rubbing off on them because all their updates have been free.. unlike M4L, I really want to beta test this..
me too, i want to beta test that!
*** Image GAFM ***

Globaldj

Post by Globaldj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 pm

SubFunk wrote:Can you testdrive serato without the interface?

It's been about 2 years ago that i played with it via control vinyls (to test it out at friends), but that is exactly what i don't want, i am more interested along a X1
nope. u need the box
Living in a world of Graphic Design and Music Production

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:44 pm

re.mark wrote:
SubFunk wrote:ableton, the most forward thinking audio software and you still need vinyls or CDs (something moving in rounds :roll: ) for DJ-ing with the collab?

or did i get that wrong here???
i am confused.
On Ableton's The Bridge page, it says you can use the APC40, APC20 and Launchpad with it.

edit: oh
Play hard(ware)
Apart from your Serato hardware, using an additional dedicated controller such as the Akai Professional APC40, APC20 or Novation Launchpad opens up your game for more mixing, effects handling and for triggering clips.
So you still need to use Seratos control hardcore, like timecoded vinyl etc. But tbh I wasnt expecting to be able to use it without....
I was kinda thinking you can use it with VCI-300 and NS7's too, since both come with ITCH. Does anyone know for sure?

STRATEGY

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:46 pm

No, but you can download Scratch Live and prep your music library into crates.

marqs

Post by marqs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Globaldj wrote:

nope. u need the box
Grab a box from a fellow DJ and download the Serato Scratch Live software (which is free) and test away.
Live 8.2.5.b1
Macbook Pro 13": 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, WD Scorpio Black 500GB (7200rpm/16MB), WD Scorpio Black 320GB (7200rpm/16MB) via OWC On-The-Go Pro (FW 800), Mac OS X Lion 10.7, Apogee DUET 2, Serato Scratch Live (SL1)

Globaldj

Post by Globaldj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
No, but you can download Scratch Live and prep your music library into crates.
why not do it in itunes? :roll:
Living in a world of Graphic Design and Music Production

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 pm

^^^ i use iTunes for that, of course!
Then you can import it into whatever you need.
*** Image GAFM ***

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 pm

I can't take it anymore, all this shit. Buy this buy that, new this new that, features features features, bleeding edges, upgrades here and upgrades there.

Whole thing makes me want to punch someone in the face.

I'm a simple man.

Fuck this. I'm going to go enjoy a warm bowl of oatmeal.

marqs

Post by marqs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 pm

smutek wrote:I can't take it anymore, all this shit. Buy this buy that, new this new that, features features features, bleeding edges, upgrades here and upgrades there.

I'm a simple man.

Well put! :mrgreen:
Live 8.2.5.b1

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:59 pm

marqs wrote:
smutek wrote:I can't take it anymore, all this shit. Buy this buy that, new this new that, features features features, bleeding edges, upgrades here and upgrades there.

I'm a simple man.

Well put! :mrgreen:
with cinnamon and raisins!!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:07 am

I actually wasn't expecting what I've seen. However I felt a bit underwhelemed too, but I'm not gonna jump the gun and write it off. I think the Bridge video just lacks showing off more possibilies.

As far as running both apps on on Laptop, I have been running Ableton, Reaktor Plugs, FM8, Traktor and Guitar Rig all at once. This should work fine, depending on how heavy the initial Live set is that is being Bridged into Serato.

I would really like to see more than I have seen already. I wanna see someone going off on it, thouroughly using it. After all the purchases I have made in the last 2 years, I am starting to learn the importance of holding off and really investigating the purchace. That being Serato, because the Bridge is free.

I think I'd rather spend my dough on an up and coming Laptop that runs heavy sets better, than more of this kind of thing.

That would be the new MacBookPro enevitably coming soon. THATS RIGHT, I prefer Mac for my music, as I type this from my BOXX desktop.