Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 am

edit - answered my own question about the Serato approved hardware acts as a dongle.

it's not so much that, it's that I can't use what I already have.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:52 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:
beats me wrote: Would I invest in DJ specific software that is inferior in many ways to Traktor so I can use session view in it? Fuck no.
You're starting to sound like one of those people who go out of their way to bash Apple computers, because deep down inside you know you really want one...
I was curious how the two programs compare.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:13 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:
beats me wrote: Would I invest in DJ specific software that is inferior in many ways to Traktor so I can use session view in it? Fuck no.
You're starting to sound like one of those people who go out of their way to bash Apple computers, because deep down inside you know you really want one...
Yeah I can bash with the best of them, but I think this was a big surprise/disappointment to a lot of people, especially considering development time from announcement to release. This probably would have gone over a lot better if they just magically released it with no pre collaboration announcement, a big pleasant surprise. Announcing this a long time ago made a lot of people speculate and dream up ideas and I'm pretty positive nobody was hoping for this end result. Take a cue from Apple, don't talk about something until it's already done.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:18 am

Image



and the !@$%^Uing max4Live announcement YEARS in advance. are there any more collaborations coming out? maybe a few that we forgot about? didn't they announce a collab with Lotus Notes back in '97?
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:29 am

Tone Deft wrote:


and the !@$%^Uing max4Live announcement YEARS in advance.

M4L is the balls YO! However most of the time I make devices I think, why didn't Ableton make this device YEARS ago. DUH!

RCUS
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:31 am

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by RCUS » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:22 am

So i guess this means my hopes of a motorized jog wheel that attaches to my apc40 where the rubber sides currently are (so that i can get vinyl style control of my clips using serato WITHIN Ableton) isn't going to happen eh?

any way i slice it it's more $$ out of my pocket - only now I'm not sure whose getting the $$ (MAX, Ms. Pinky, Ableton, Serato, Traktor, Vestax, Numark, EKS, or Other).

What gives?! Wasn't NAMM 2010 supposed to be awesome?!

Now i just feel like the kid who got shafted on christmas morning after praying real hard to baby jesus to grant my wishes.

Bad. Bad baby jesus!

2000down
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by 2000down » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 am

Its F*ing awesome if your a dj that uses serato and a producer using ableton, which I am so YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

maze23a
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: bremen
Contact:

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by maze23a » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 am

The bridge seems to be really cool!
And also for free!
Exciting to see it in action!

#1thelark
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by #1thelark » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:33 am

I wonder why they haven't come up with a NI-collaboration... I mean they are both located in Berlin :roll:
The CEOs don't like each other, I suppose.

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:55 am

#1thelark wrote:I wonder why they haven't come up with a NI-collaboration... I mean they are both located in Berlin :roll:
The CEOs don't like each other, I suppose.
+1

especially because i don't get a certain rival people put into those two companies, i mean the make totally different products...

ableton is not in the plugin / instrument market and NI not in the sequencer market, and a traktor / ableton collab would have been much better in my eyes.
*** Image GAFM ***

8O
Posts: 5502
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:57 am

SubFunk wrote:
#1thelark wrote:I wonder why they haven't come up with a NI-collaboration... I mean they are both located in Berlin :roll:
The CEOs don't like each other, I suppose.
+1

especially because i don't get a certain rival people put into those two companies, i mean the make totally different products...

ableton is not in the plugin / instrument market and NI not in the sequencer market, and a traktor / ableton collab would have been much better in my eyes.
I guess "The Bridge" does not refer to "Oberbaum Bruecke"... :wink:
Image

Out Of My System
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:59 am

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by Out Of My System » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:13 am

The Bridge. Makes you want to jump off one.




Image

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:14 am

8O wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
#1thelark wrote:I wonder why they haven't come up with a NI-collaboration... I mean they are both located in Berlin :roll:
The CEOs don't like each other, I suppose.
+1

especially because i don't get a certain rival people put into those two companies, i mean the make totally different products...

ableton is not in the plugin / instrument market and NI not in the sequencer market, and a traktor / ableton collab would have been much better in my eyes.
I guess "The Bridge" does not refer to "Oberbaum Bruecke"... :wink:
well, sadly not!

jeeez, the power of those two combined 8O 8O 8O
*** Image GAFM ***

#1thelark
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by #1thelark » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 am

Go figure...

Ableton HQ - NI HQ = 5km walking distance (even less if you pick the Schillingbrücke :) )

Ableton HQ - Serato NZ = 17.747 km distance by plane


That should be a lot of money if you need to travel that distance... but I understand Ableton because NZ should be worth a visit or two. Plus they might be afraid of losing jobs if they collaborate with NI. They should avoid that step unless they are in big trouble...
Last edited by #1thelark on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Poster
Posts: 8804
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by Poster » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:45 am

8O wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
#1thelark wrote:I wonder why they haven't come up with a NI-collaboration... I mean they are both located in Berlin :roll:
The CEOs don't like each other, I suppose.
+1

especially because i don't get a certain rival people put into those two companies, i mean the make totally different products...

ableton is not in the plugin / instrument market and NI not in the sequencer market, and a traktor / ableton collab would have been much better in my eyes.
I guess "The Bridge" does not refer to "Oberbaum Bruecke"... :wink:
:lol:

Post Reply