Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Tone Deft

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:07 pm

whoa, didn't see that coming.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

so basically it's a sample player in serato.. what's so exciting about that?

i need video demonstrations. this seems underwhelming to me and not exactly what the last video we saw showed.

DJ Voyetra

Post by DJ Voyetra » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

DJ Voyetra

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

the hate comes quick... :lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:15 pm

i don't hate the players unless they are mac fanboys... i hate the game!

jk!

i3igTripplets

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's UNDERWHELMING!

Post by i3igTripplets » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:16 pm

title fixed.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Jazzy Jeff says its good so it must be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFekulMv7EQ

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:20 pm

homey mixers.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:27 pm

This looks like what I wanted... a mini Session View inside of the Scratch Live GUI!

Pretty stoked about this!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 pm

alright after reading the info on the webpage, it actually seems pretty interesting. i think it would work best for a DJ tag team of sorts where one guy is controlling the Serato aspects and scratching and the other guy is on the APC40 controlling the clips and Live effects. but i'm not about to go buy a Xone DX or NS7 for this.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 pm

1st point is that it's free so I can't complain.. I currently use the 2 apps on separate laptops but I still don't know if this is better setup or not.. I don't even know how much CPU will it take run both apps on one laptop.. but I think they really need to provided some video to really show what the Bridge can do.. it seems you can scratch clips from their description but I would really like to see it in action among the other things the bridge can do as far as workflow..

red33mer

Post by red33mer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:38 pm

well i guess a lot of us would have expected an ableton with integrated dvs control kinda thing...so hm...let´s wait and see what we get here...
Live 8.1.3, OSX 10.6.3

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm

bleton and Serato present The Bridge at Winter NAMM 2010

Berlin, Germany, (January 14, 2010) - Ableton and Serato are proud to announce The Bridge at NAMM 2010 in Anaheim, California. The Bridge spans the gap between music production and DJing, creating a natural link between Ableton Live and Serato Scratch Live/ITCH. The Bridge provides a powerful fusion of DJ and production tools, opening a world of opportunities for DJing, remixing and live performance.

The Bridge works in both directions:

Ableton to Serato

The Bridge provides Ableton Transport Control (ATC), giving DJs turntable-style control of their own multitrack productions. DJs can simply drag an Ableton Live Set onto one of the decks in Scratch Live or ITCH and use their turntables, CDJ or ITCH controller to control the transport.

Serato to Ableton

The Bridge provides the ultimate mixtape creation tool. DJs can perform mixes in Serato Scratch Live or ITCH and save them as an Ableton Live Set. This way, the DJ can still perform the mix—better than cut and pasting it together in a DAW—but also has detailed editing options.

Reactions to The Bridge
"For DJs who don't make beats yet, that turns into 'Hey, I can make beats in here, too.' For the guys who are beatmakers already as well as DJs, it's great because it's almost like you're DJing with multitracks. And the mixtape feature was probably the best thing I've ever seen. People are going to get really creative, I know my brain is working already, there's stuff that I'm going to do that I choose not to disclose right now because it's top secret." - DJ Jazzy Jeff

"Seeing where Ableton is at this state of technology, and all the stuff that's in there, and thinking about Ableton and Serato together is mind boggling. I know there's a lot of stuff that can happen... we're all producers, we're all DJs, your mind starts to wonder what's coming. Everybody's gonna get excited."
- Kenny Dope

"My initial reaction? I was absolutely elated. As with most DJs that are Ableton friendly, a lot of us have been utilizing Ableton's warping to quantize and straighten out records that otherwise fluctuate. Now that we have the opportunity to play with the actual files... and use them in DJ gigs and live shows, the possibilities are absolutely 100% endless. Being as I just saw [The Bridge], my mind is racing with endless ideas..." - ?uestlove

Pricing and availability for The Bridge
The Bridge is free for anyone who owns registered versions of both Serato Scratch Live/ITCH hardware and Ableton Live 8 or Suite 8.

No release date has been set yet; anyone interested can follow the progress of the project by subscribing to the Ableton newsletter: http://www.ableton.com/newsletter

More information available at:
http://www.ableton.com/thebridge
http://www.serato.com/thebridge
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com