Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Ableton & Serato Announce...And it's FREE!

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:15 pm

I just noticed something on the Serato site, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet
The Bridge
The Bridge
Part one of the Serato / Ableton Partnership
Ableton and Serato present The Bridge - the first result of the partnership announced in October 2008.
http://www.serato.com/thebridge

IE - this isn't all of it, it's only the first part of it
whether the later parts are all imaginary, who can tell, but I thought I'd bring this nugget up.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Angstrom wrote:I just noticed something on the Serato site, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet
The Bridge
The Bridge
Ableton and Serato present The Bridge - the first result of the partnership announced in October 2008.

whether the later parts are all imaginary, who can tell, but I thought I'd bring this nugget up.
Well spotted! Part one of ???

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Angstrom wrote:I just noticed something on the Serato site, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet
The Bridge
The Bridge

Sweet! Maybe they will make us wait 2 year again to find out what that means...

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:06 pm

THis will mean a LOT to people with serious turntable skills. Image Qbert with this scratching with one hand and manipulating the content of a scratch in realtime with the other hand via a decent midi controller. As far as turntablism goes could this be a game changer?

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi folks,

First of all, here is a video of the demonstration at NAMM:

http://www.musotalk.de/best-of-youtube/ ... he-bridge/

and here's a video of some geek talking about it:

http://www.vimeo.com/8745411

Until we can get some more example videos, I just wanted to jump in and clarify a bit about what this product is, who it's for, etc.

In the Serato-to-Ableton direction, you can now save a recorded Serato set as an .als file (Ableton Live Set.) You can then open the Set in Live and edit it in Live's Arrangement View.

In the Ableton-to-Serato direction, The Bridge is primarily about vinyl control and/or synchronization of Ableton's transport. This works in two ways:

1) Live's transport control appears as a "track" in Serato, which can be loaded onto one of Serato's decks. You can then manipulate Live's transport via the Serato control vinyl. You can also view and manipulate Live's Session View from within Serato.

2) If you want both decks free for loading mp3s or other audio tracks (as you normally do in Serato), you can still sync Live's transport to one of the decks by using the Ableton Player in Serato.

There were some questions about what, specifically is being controlled within Live. The answer is that you're controlling Live's transport, so whatever you hear in Live is what's being heard with The Bridge. As in "normal" Live, this can be any combination of Session and Arrangement tracks.
So I wonder if you can drag in second Live set into the second deck. Might be good way to mix between live sets. I also wonder if Live sets can be closed and opened without interupting the audio from Serato. Then you could at least mix one set into a temporary track to fill the space while you open another set.
You can't load a second Set onto the Second deck. You're not actually loading a Set to a deck - you're loading CONTROL of Live's transport to a deck. Live Sets can be opened and closed without interrupting Serato's audio.
what happens to Live's crossfader and A/B functions when you load up the Live set into one of the Serato decks?
They work as they normally do. Nothing about Live has changed. What you hear in Live is what you're controlling from Serato.
and what of this communication link? is it completely de-activated and not use any CPU if the 2 programs are not running?
Yes, it's completely deactivated when the two programs aren't running. It's not a separate application. The communications protocol is similar to ReWire, but more flexible - you don't have to open/close the applications in a particular order, etc.

For those of you who have no interest in vinyl as a control surface, The Bridge is probably not going to be interesting to you. It's really aimed at people who DJ with control vinyl.

There's basically nothing new within Live itself; the visible aspects of The Bridge are entirely on the Serato side.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:15 pm

For those of you who have no interest in vinyl as a control surface, The Bridge is probably not going to be interesting to you. It's really aimed at people who DJ with control vinyl.

There's basically nothing new within Live itself; the visible aspects of The Bridge are entirely on the Serato side.
:( , what is with DJs of 2010?

is there any hope in the near future?
*** Image GAFM ***

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm

@Dennis,

thanks for the info.. but how tight exactly is the control/feel when using the bridge.. basically, can a turntablist use the bridge or does it introduce some sort of latency that it prevents him/her from doing complex scratches?

musick

Post by musick » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:...For those of you who have no interest in vinyl as a control surface, The Bridge is probably not going to be interesting to you. It's really aimed at people who DJ with control vinyl....
On the Serato website it says also ITCH mixes (VCI 300, A&H Xone DX) can be saved as .als, so when the Bridge also gets into ITCH the features also will be for ITCH users and not limited to control vinyl!

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:25 pm

musick wrote:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:...For those of you who have no interest in vinyl as a control surface, The Bridge is probably not going to be interesting to you. It's really aimed at people who DJ with control vinyl....
On the Serato website it says also ITCH mixes (VCI 300, A&H Xone DX) can be saved as .als, so when the Bridge also gets into ITCH the features also will be for ITCH users and not limited to control vinyl!
Yes, that's true, and for the Serato-to-Ableton direction this aspect of The Bridge is probably interesting to everyone.

Best,

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:26 pm

nuxnamon wrote:@Dennis,

thanks for the info.. but how tight exactly is the control/feel when using the bridge.. basically, can a turntablist use the bridge or does it introduce some sort of latency that it prevents him/her from doing complex scratches?
I'm not a DJ, so I can't speak to the "feel" of The Bridge in comparison to other products or to actual vinyl. But what I'm hearing from DJs who are using it is that it's as responsive as it should be, and that there's no noticeable latency.

Best,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

@ dennis, sorry i was serious, is there a full midi [controller] usability to be expected in the future or not?
Last edited by SubFunk on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
So I wonder if you can drag in second Live set into the second deck. Might be good way to mix between live sets. I also wonder if Live sets can be closed and opened without interupting the audio from Serato. Then you could at least mix one set into a temporary track to fill the space while you open another set.
You can't load a second Set onto the Second deck. You're not actually loading a Set to a deck - you're loading CONTROL of Live's transport to a deck. Live Sets can be opened and closed without interrupting Serato's audio.
I do have one other question. Say you have a live set synced to Serato by one of the decks controlling the transport. Then you close your Live set. As you said, Serato keeps playing unaffected, which is great. Now what happens when you load a new Live set and want to sync that to the currently playing audio in Serato? Will it sync automatically? Will it interupt the audio? Or can you just drag the set onto the available Serato deck without interupting the audio and be able to mix it in?

thanks
Professional Shark Jumper.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm

I think everyone just wants to know when Beta testing will start which will probably answer everyone's main questions..

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:35 pm

SubFunk wrote:@ dennis, sorry i was serious, is there a full midi [controller] usability to be expected in the future or not?
Sorry, I'm not sure I totally understand the question.

What is it that you want to control that you can't control now?

Best,