Software Drum Machines if you aren't a drummer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LLR

Software Drum Machines if you aren't a drummer?

Post by LLR » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:15 am

What software drum machine do you use if you aren't a drummer? To be more specific, what if you need help creating organic sounding beats because you are stuck in step sequencer hell?

Tarekith

Re: Software Drum Machines if you aren't a drummer?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 am

BFD or DFH

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:54 am

Even if you are a drummer, programs like Addictive Drums are great! Great sound and an expanding collection of drum patterns both sold with the product and others sold by 3rd part companies like www.groovemonkee.com and www.oddgrooves.com as well as many others now that new update to AD (version 1.5) allows to change the drum mapping.

I'm not familiar with BFD or DFH, mostly because I've been so happy with Addictive Drums, but at NAMM, they did just announce BFD Nano.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:29 am

Drum Racks

LLR

Post by LLR » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Drum Racks are becoming less and less of an option because they seem to be such CPU hogs. I usually start songs with a Drum and Bass groove. As soon as I add other instruments I immediately run out of CPU resources.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:41 pm

LLR wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Drum Racks are becoming less and less of an option because they seem to be such CPU hogs. I usually start songs with a Drum and Bass groove. As soon as I add other instruments I immediately run out of CPU resources.

how many drum samples are you dealing with on the racks?

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Might want to try Jamstix... Version 3 looks like a winner.
Gonna pick up 2.5 soon with a free upgrade to v.3.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:54 pm

using a PadKONTROL to play them in, you do not need to be a drummer to do that in order to create ass kicking organic beats.
*** Image GAFM ***

LLR

Post by LLR » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:22 am

It seems like padKontrol would require the skills of a percussionist. Although it would a lot easier to "play" the drums than using my old Yamaha SY85.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 am

LLR wrote:It seems like padKontrol would require the skills of a percussionist. Although it would a lot easier to "play" the drums than using my old Yamaha SY85.

mess around with the ADSR (attack, decay, sustain, release) in drum racks. Set your main bpm to 92 and set quantize to 1/16th triplets. Play to the metronome and it should sound a bit funky and gradually speed up the tempo to mix the drums with a drum and bass feel. (95-105bpm should be good).

keys or pads...it shouldn't matter....what matters most is you play to or around the metronome and that you have a good feel for each drum sample you are messing with. The rookie mistake i made in the beginning was just dragging and dropping chopped samples into it and mixing it was chaos. If drum racks aren't your cup of tea, go and play around with ableton sampler instead. It has less of a cpu load if your system cant handle the drum rack assignments you made.

artworks

Post by artworks » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:41 am

'Addictive Drums'

LLR

Post by LLR » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:17 am

Thanks VooDooPPL. That is great advice. I wasn't sure which quantization to use. I notoriously early on beats, and need something to keep me straight.

I did give JamStix a go as well. It is pretty cool, I may even plunk down the $100.

The money may be better spent on a decent pad controller though.