Idea - store where non-M4L users can buy single devices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: Idea - store where non-M4L users can buy single devices

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:30 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
3dot... wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:I imagine someone thinking there gonna get devices for like 5 or 10 bucks.

Chances are people would be selling them for 60 and up. So after a few device purchases, you could just have bought the full version and made your own. DUH.
and some would give them for free... lord forbid...

We do...

maxforlive.com
I know... GREAT SITE...

also .. I agree the premise...
of it actually stably working...
and the interactions between max and Live would be clearer..
and the API more complete..

I would put 299$ no worries..
I was actually using the betas heavily..
and built some fairly sophisticated devices...
but when they announced the launch date..
I knew it wasn't ready.
(same as v7/v8 which I bought as soon as they came out .out of 'trust'...flashforward 1 year)
too many open ends.
not enough loose change.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:53 pm

3dot... wrote: but when they announced the launch date..
I knew it wasn't ready.
I didn't get on the Beta. But I am almost certian you're right. However I'm glad it was released buggy or not. I do get frequent crashes, when working on devices, not so much when using them. It does depend on the device, and it's contents. Controlling lives parameters with the getDevice RemoteDevice stuff does not like working for me. There are ways around it.

I am totally new to Max, but I have felt like I have got more accomplished with M4L and it's buggyness than I have in the past 5 years with Reaktor. Dont get me wrong I love Reaktor, but I have been at M4L for less that 2 months maybe??? and already have done a bunch of customizations to my set that I am very happy with, improve funtionality (which makes it more fun to play), and I have done things I could not do with Reaktor at all. However a lot of things I feel should have been implemented in Ableton years ago. For example I made a preSet device? That should be a feature in Ableton (program changes in midi clips should be able to reset parameters in the tracks mixer section and devices, DUH). Automation knobs as seen in the LineFO, Ableton should have made these things.

Making custom controller plugs to comunicate between hardware and Ableton in an endless possibility of ways, thats what makes M4L so RAD. It's like my new Legos.

For the first month I thought I should have waited to buy it, now I am totally glad about it. I'm optimistic and patient about them getting it to run smoother. I can't imagine Ableton is just gonna let it's product go to waste. They'll tune it up.

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Shillelagh Law wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:

We do...

maxforlive.com
right. and is there anything there you'd pay 60 bucks for ?
Maxforlive is still fairly new. Sit tight. It's coming. I have had some people contact me on maxforlive.com who are well known in the Reaktor community and want to contribute some big things to maxforlive.com.

We had over 50 devices before maxforlive even shipped. Give us another few months and there will be a shit ton of stuff shared, some worthy of 60 bucks.

I am about to launch a promotion where if you share devices that get high enough ratings you get free ad space on the site. Should drive a ton more devices from the masters who are waiting in silence.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:52 am

+1 M4L runtime, this is essential IMO
+1 app store, I'd buy stuff.

I probably wont buy M4L, even though it is very exciting to me, because I don't have time to learn it and program my own stuff. I'd gladly buy someone else's efforts though, and even a runtime if I had to. A runtime would open up M4L to so many more people, some of whom would eventually go all the way with M4L. If it was up to $50 I would buy it. It's a market just waiting to happen.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:00 am

if nothing else I can see an angle where they do it just to appease people after the Live8gate. (I heard that term on Fox, O'Reily was going off on Ableton last night.)

it could be that max4Live isn't ready to have that many more people be paid beta testers. keep the audience down and the complaints stay down. I have seen some 'we haven't done that yet' posts from developers over the last few months. I got it to crash. 8O

I think I already read the idea about Ableton and the developer splitting the proceeds. that would be an interesting way for Ableton to nickel and dime users instead of charging one time for a runtime.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sinnatagg

Post by sinnatagg » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:32 am

tempus3r wrote: I am about to launch a promotion where if you share devices that get high enough ratings you get free ad space on the site. Should drive a ton more devices from the masters who are waiting in silence.
You, my friend, are truly ahead of the curve!

-a