Beatlookup Tutorial

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
milfhuntr

Beatlookup Tutorial

Post by milfhuntr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:25 am

1. Drop a Reaktor VST on a track
2. Drag the Beatlookup effect in the right pane of Reaktor
3. You will hear Amen break playing, delete the player portion on top
4. On the second unit which says Beatlookup, select in the In dropdown L as audio in 1 and R as audio in 2.
5. Throw a midi channel in Ableton and the MIDI from dropdown will be your music keyboard or all ins for your typing keyboard. Send the MIDI to dropdown to Reaktor.
6. Create an audio track for the source material that will be mashed. Set the audio to dropdown to Reaktor.
7. Play your audio and use the keys to select various FX to mash your audio.

3dot...

Re: Beatlookup Tutorial

Post by 3dot... » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:58 am

very well put...
although I'd put it in a return track though...
(to route whatever to it freely)..

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 pm

do you know how to change which midi notes/cc actually turn on the individual effects? I know little of reaktor and havn't been able to MIDI map the actual on and off button.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Trypset wrote:do you know how to change which midi notes/cc actually turn on the individual effects? I know little of reaktor and havn't been able to MIDI map the actual on and off button.
Map ON/OFF button?

Could you be more specific?

As far as mapping there are a ton of ways to do it. If you PM me your email I will send you my BeatLookUp mod and an Ableton drum rack for triggering it.

Putting it on a send is definitely the way to go.

Don't forget you can route BeatLookUps FX send 1 and 2 out to individual tracks, and route those to additional FX in Ableton. So basically you can use the send buttons in BeatLookUp to bounce FX for it's individual components. It was built with Ableton in mind for just such purposes.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:43 am

let me be a lil more specific if possible.

keycontrol has 8 or so slots.reverse, stutter, jump etc....

certain midi notes activate these effects.....can you choose which midi notes make these effects come on?
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 am

Trypset wrote:.....can you choose which midi notes make these effects come on?

YES. However BeatLookUp's original GUI did not provide that option, it's built in.

If you open it up and go into the "Key Control" module you will see a bunch of "gate's" I think, connected to modules named Jump Actions, Reverse Actions, Buzz Actions etc. If you click on the gate and look in the properties box you can see where to change it. Some of them like the Jump actions are buried inside a bit further.

I have made a mod where I replaced these midi gate triggers with buttons so I can quickly navigate to them and change them if needed.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 am

cool thanks so much for the replies. Its good to know it is possible. I would appreciate your modded BLU if possible, it sounds a little easier to customize. Thanks again, TrypseT
TrypseT

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:20 am

Here's some pics of my BeatLookUp mod as well as a basic routing structure you can do in Ableton to get the most out of BeatLookUp. Chris List built the FX routing so that people could use it in Ableton, at least thats the way I understood the posts over at the Reaktor Forums.

In my mod everything functions as usual except there are a lot of buttons now for triggering the goods. The long row of vertical buttons trigger Jumps and Stutters at particular increments. Good for build ups or just straight mashing. There is also a Delay module I took out of Toxonic's Glitch that clips the audio signal coming in and just leaves the trail off of the delay. SUPER COOL!

I use a DrumRack with blank racks nested in the cells for naming my piano roll, and Send it to BeatLookUp. This way I can Live MASH or fire ready made clips.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 pm

jaun this is so boss. Have you posted your mod?
great idea using the drum rack.

I got your post on the other thread as well, digging into toxonic as well.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Jekblad wrote: Have you posted your mod?

I haven't posted the mod on the Reaktor UL. I don't remember but I believe BeatLookUp is only posted in the forums. Not sure why, but I'm sure the reason is good. So just out of respect for CList I dont really wanna post a hacked up version of his work.

If you'd like a copy of what I've done just PM me with your email.

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Can this be run with the free reaktor player that NI has for the komplete 7 promotion?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:37 pm

I have no idea?

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 pm

still having trouble finding where i can change what midi notes trigger the effects. Any detailed info would be great as I am trying to map my electribe to it. thanks!

edit found it.

Right click the button to "show in structure" look for the midi symbol and click, change midi note at will!
TrypseT

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:16 pm

I cannot for the life of me figure out where the hell to download beatlookup from

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:25 pm

It's only in the BeatLookUp Thread over at the NI forums.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/forum/s ... BeatLookup

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... BeatLookUp

One of these