Tinnitus

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LeifonMars

Tinnitus

Post by LeifonMars » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:49 am

F***, just started, about half an hour ago. My kid was playing behind me, nothing special happened, then suddenly got strange acoustic flip in my left ear and my right ear started to ring. After 22 years of playing in bands, doing gigs, mixing live, I guess this is what you can expect if you don't protect your ears. The funny thing is, that I have this very strange sense of distant little room in my left ear (literally, I feel like there's a little room somewhere left from where I'm sitting right now although in reality there's solid brick wall). And no, I haven't enjoyed any substance today AFAIK.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Cool Character

Re: Tinnitus

Post by Cool Character » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:29 am

Don't freak out just yet, mang.

It's very possible it's just an acute case, if it even is tinnitus.
Although on the other hand, maybe now's the time to start protecting your ears!

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:35 am

Cool Character wrote:Don't freak out just yet, mang.

It's very possible it's just an acute case, if it even is tinnitus.
Although on the other hand, maybe now's the time to start protecting your ears!
Yeah, I've had occasional ringing before as well, never experienced this long though, almost an hour now. But, yes, it may still very well be acute.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:43 am

My ears have been ringing for a few weeks (have had tinnitus before) but I just discovered that my blood pressure was up pretty high....so the sounds in the ear can come from that too...just a heads up, it isn't always a result of working with loud audio.

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 am

get your ears syringed before you start worrying too much, it might be an instant cure :)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:42 pm

LeifonMars wrote:F***, just started, about half an hour ago. My kid was playing behind me, nothing special happened, then suddenly got strange acoustic flip in my left ear and my right ear started to ring. After 22 years of playing in bands, doing gigs, mixing live, I guess this is what you can expect if you don't protect your ears. The funny thing is, that I have this very strange sense of distant little room in my left ear (literally, I feel like there's a little room somewhere left from where I'm sitting right now although in reality there's solid brick wall). And no, I haven't enjoyed any substance today AFAIK.
I know exactly what you're describing, & you described it very well. There is a difference between what you wrote about & the constant ringing typically referred to as 'ringing in the ears'. Each is unique.

For me, the condition you described occurs on occasion, but fades away rather quickly. Also the tone I hear is lower pitched than the ringing in the ears I have experienced after loud music sessions like big concerts.

Unfortunately I have tinnitus, & the high pitched tones ring on forever. Sounds very similar to the high pitched tones that come out of television sets.

PROTECT YOUR EARS

Hearing loud annoying high pitched tones that never stop is a big drag.

One thing I had to evolve rather quickly can be stated as follows: "Never listen to your tinnitus, simply be aware that it is there."

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:51 pm

oblique strategies wrote: One thing I had to evolve rather quickly can be stated as follows: "Never listen to your tinnitus, simply be aware that it is there."
+1
im living with it for more than ten years now. i played in quite a few bands when i was real young (<16) i had my "hörsturz" (dont know the translation) with 18. i needed almost two years to stop worrying.
most of the time im wearing ear protection and im pretty anal about loud monitoring, headphones, etc. what helped me alot was white noise out of the telly, or my monitors.

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Try gingko biloba, listening to harmonic chanting, and get healthy.

Contrary to popular belief, everything is curable. Read Bruce Lipton's Biology of Belief if you don't think this is true.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:02 pm

I have tinnitus and it doesn't come or go quickly. The volume changes (or maybe my attention to it changes) gradually over hours. In the past I have also had symptoms like you describe and they went as quickly as they came...

Anyway hope yours is the temporary variety because tinnitus is annoying.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:12 pm

littlepig wrote:I have tinnitus and it doesn't come or go quickly. The volume changes (or maybe my attention to it changes) gradually over hours. In the past I have also had symptoms like you describe and they went as quickly as they came...
Well said. Caught the gist of it in a nutshell.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:16 pm

i've heard that chiropractic work can help too.

i have tinnitus, i've had it for years.
loud guitars, music, boms, guns(i'm an ex infantry soldier), heavy machinery, drums
and of course.... Bass

have you been doing music for 22 years with out ear protection and this is the first time?

forum threads like this make me notice my ringing.. grrrrr

hehe

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:29 pm

I saw this and thought of you --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 0_01_2010/

Adam Walton has news of the latest reasearch into tinnitus, the persistent sound of ringing in the ears.

Duration: 30 minutes
Available until: 5:34pm Sunday 17th January 2010
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:03 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:i've heard that chiropractic work can help too.

i have tinnitus, i've had it for years.
loud guitars, music, boms, guns(i'm an ex infantry soldier), heavy machinery, drums
and of course.... Bass

have you been doing music for 22 years with out ear protection and this is the first time?

forum threads like this make me notice my ringing.. grrrrr

hehe
I once tried to get used to earplugs, they were terrible.

Had a nap and it stopped. :D As I mentioned above I've had occasionally ringing ears, never before this loud (it was really disturbing) and this long though (several hours). You know this film with Sylvester Stallone playing a good, but rather simple cop in New york in an area where live cops and their families (is it called Copland or something)? Anyhow, in the end a gun gets fired next to his ear, and for the rest of that fighting scene there's only a loud peep. The ring I experienced today was similar. I have very high pitched constant ring in my ears for years now, but that doesn't bother me. But the one I experienced today was lower pitched and therefore disturbing. Next time I have to check exact freq. Maybe I'll get me a reliable tuner.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:10 pm

LeifonMars wrote:Next time I have to check exact freq. Maybe I'll get me a reliable tuner.
good luck,
i think its impossible to spot. get used to earplugs.

seriously,

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:22 pm

trevorc wrote:get your ears syringed before you start worrying too much, it might be an instant cure :)
+1

Got scared a few years back and thought I was getting tinnitus in my right ear. Playing bass in rock bands where I usually stood to the left of the drummer this made sense. Eventually went and had my ears cleaned and it was like taking off a mask. This was probably around 2004 and my bandmates and I had already been using ear protection since around 2000 at that point. I have custom molded earplugs that are fairly rigid compared to the throwaways, and looking back it may have actually been the fact of using them so much that caused a large compaction of earwax to build up. Kinda gross but that's what happened.

I feel fortunate that I jumped on the ear protection in my early 20s. Got dragged to a small club show the other night on a whim and didn't have my plugs. I was in hell. :x
Unsound Designer