just got logic7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

just got logic7

Post by john gordon » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:08 am

sucks after using ableton live.live is the future.end of conversation.

Machinesworking

Re: just got logic7

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:01 am

john gordon wrote:sucks after using ableton live.live is the future.end of conversation.
Not really, until Live is as CPU friendly as Logic, there will be room in my studio for both. I like to do some hardcore midi editing, and Logic is years ahead in that department.
Let's put it this way, I get 5 to 6 instances of Absynth 2 in Live 4 on my dual G4, and 16 ( the limit of Absynth 2 ) in Logic. Easy to run out of juice in Live, hard to use all the juice in Logic.

pax

Post by pax » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:33 pm

I find they are different animals.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:43 pm

I dont like logic... i like to work in live...
I was on logic for 8 years so i know what i am talking about.
Live is the more musical tool.
But when it comes to the demand of a professional sounding production or dsp usage on a mac live is still very much in the children shoes and not in the same league as Logic.
Something like dithering in the mixbusses or offset compensation for plug ins or bus routings you dont find in live...
No sample editor and only rudimentary midifunctions..not even replace recording or track related thru functions, and when it comes and the mac performance... we better dont talk about that :-(((

Logic is more expensiv than Live... Sounds so and is much harder to use.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:31 pm

Live is way better than Logic period. No question. I get by without the extra synth or sampler instance open - that's what all that bomb routing is for in Live - resample, resample resample - that's my motto

Logic doesn't resample in real time (You have to stop bounce and roll) - big problem for the kid here, plus I prefer the session view over any other view in any other name brand sequencer - respect to Logic no doubt just not my cup of tea
Ableton | Elektron

Music

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:38 pm

If you could afford, get both. I have both of them, use them for different purposes. Logic 7's SW synth collection is amazing. I have not explored all of it, but my plan is to dump lots of material from Logic 7 as the sound composition tool as audio files, and do mixes in Live where it's easier to improvise.

The only issue is indeed CPU use, Logic is far better with my dual G4, hopefully the next Live version would use less CPU with MacOSX. As an example, I could load far more effects with Logic than with Live.

I'm sure one could live with just Live or just Logic, that's fine, too. --Kent

special ed

Post by special ed » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:19 pm

its rediculous to compare the two, they both serve to distict purposes in music production as far as im concerned. the original posters argument is like the drum machine telling the drummer that he sucks. live is simple to use, very quick and user friendly, and it is the tool that defines the computer as an instrument, the loop manipulation options that it gives are indispensible to a producer/writer/artist. live is an integral part of my studio. logic is a bit more complicated and takes more time to process things, but there is no program that has more flexibilty for music styles as logic. there is no program with a sicker set of plugins than logic, there is no way lives reverb can touch the space designer, the impulse cannot hold a candle to ultrabeat, and the synths? forget about it. the new sculpture is the sound designers synth. as well as the es2. the apple loops time stretching sounds a hundred times better than lives, but its not instant you got to actually convert your sound file to an apple loop first. its not the instant gratification that we get accustomed to with live, but certain things if they are to be done right take more time. if you actually spent the money on logic 7 then take the time to learn the fucking program and how to use it and get the most out of it as it was intended for, its not meant to be sounds out of a box. one would be an idiot to purchase logic and expect it to be exactly like live as one would be an idiot to purchase live and expect logic. the original poster sounds so fucking neandrethal with such a post. i can respect someone saying its not their cup of tea because its all a matter of preference after all, but just saying it sucks because you dont know what the fuck your doing with it makes you sound kind of foolish. if you buy it, then rtfm, or sell it. i dont see posts on the logic forums about people bitching that live is not logic. i own both, i know how to use both, i see that they are two happy companions together. end of conversation.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:19 am

im not sayin logic sucks.ive been using it a few years now and it is def.a great program.when i open up ableton i just seem to get shit done.noting personal.i think what i will do is start a track and bounce it down to logic.

special ed

Post by special ed » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:27 am

i like to record live material into logic and play around with the loops in live, then i usually import that back into logic for the mixdown. other times i just open up live and put some sounds together and run them into logic to use its plugins. you could say that im in love with how the programs work together. at this point i really would not want either program to be any other way. to me they are both important tools that i need to get the job done.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:39 pm

special ed wrote:its rediculous to compare the two, they both serve to distict purposes in music production .
This was true up to Live 3..but now Live 4 entered the ring for full featured production workstations..thats the way they promote theire software and when you look to real price value relation its compareable price wise with the smaller logic versions...
They now have to be measured against the others...
So...where is altivec support? I guess we´ll never see that :-)

krikor

Post by krikor » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:40 pm

There is nothing to compare between thos application except that there
are both very good ones.
I will get logic7, for one really interesting new thing the share of power
between computer via ethernet or firewire which is awsome...

http://www.apple.com/logic/distributedaudio.html

special ed

Post by special ed » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:01 pm

special ed wrote:

its rediculous to compare the two, they both serve to distict purposes in music production .

This was true up to Live 3..but now Live 4 entered the ring for full featured production workstations..thats the way they promote theire software and when you look to real price value relation its compareable price wise with the smaller logic versions...
They now have to be measured against the others...
So...where is altivec support? I guess we´ll never see
if that is the case, then it is a fact that although live is easier and quicker to use, it loses to logic in terms of plugins, software instruments, time-stretching quality, and the ability for destructive audio file editing. the only thing live has an advantage with is the envelope clip automation compared to logics automation. i guess that would be the $500 difference.

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:29 am

krikor wrote:I will get logic7, for one really interesting new thing the share of power
Yep, I like the look of that distributed audio feature. I'm getting a dual G5 early next year and I can see distributed audio being really useful as I'll be keeping my G4 PB (and I have a G4 Cube too).

I'll still be using Live as my main DAW for virtually everything, just using Logic with Live rewired for mixing with a zillion instances of Space Designer. :) Ah...and to be able to use Crystal again too...I'm really craving CPU!

It's kind of OT, but I've really gone off the idea of waiting for a G5 PB. I mean, when it finally arrives, it's probably only going to be a single processor 1.8GHz job, and it'll be massively expensive yet I'll still need to be freezing tracks or bouncing to disk... :(

hivemind

Post by hivemind » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:02 am

majestic wrote:
krikor wrote:I will get logic7, for one really interesting new thing the share of power
Yep, I like the look of that distributed audio feature. I'm getting a dual G5 early next year and I can see distributed audio being really useful as I'll be keeping my G4 PB (and I have a G4 Cube too).

I'll still be using Live as my main DAW for virtually everything, just using Logic with Live rewired for mixing with a zillion instances of Space Designer. :) Ah...and to be able to use Crystal again too...I'm really craving CPU!

It's kind of OT, but I've really gone off the idea of waiting for a G5 PB. I mean, when it finally arrives, it's probably only going to be a single processor 1.8GHz job, and it'll be massively expensive yet I'll still need to be freezing tracks or bouncing to disk... :(
the distributed processing really works-- i've done it slaving a g4 tower to my powerbook 800MHz without a problem. over regular firewire too. the only catch is that it only works with audio and instrument tracks that contain logic's effects and instruments (so far?), and it doesn't work with the exs24 (because of the samples). but if you need more space designers or sculptures it's the way to go.

it's funny... i totally dropped logic 4,8 when i bought live 2, and now that i've bout logic7pro i've all but dropped live4! most of that is because i'm learning logic slowly while accidentally coming up with cool music (inevitable) and haven't found the time for live-- logic's synths are too tasty to resist. but i think i'm going to try rewiring live into logic and trade files back and forth, like someone here suggested (thanks), next. should be allllright 8)

re: g5 powerbook .... from what i've read about first-run computers, you probably wouldn't want a revision A g5 powerbook if you could afford to wait. there might be too many issues with the first run.... or at least wait until a month or three after they ship to hear the internet buzz about the problems they might have. it is of course entirely possible that they make a near-perfect laptop with the first run of g5's ;)

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:38 am

hivemind wrote:the distributed processing really works-- i've done it slaving a g4 tower to my powerbook 800MHz without a problem. over regular firewire too. the only catch is that it only works with audio and instrument tracks that contain logic's effects and instruments (so far?), and it doesn't work with the exs24 (because of the samples). but if you need more space designers or sculptures it's the way to go.
Thanks hivemind, this is great news! So, I should be able to do the following scenario, right?

1. Write the music in Live, and edit/arrange/mangle until ready for mixing.
2. Start up Logic and Live on the G5, with Live running as a Rewire slave.
3. Start up Logic Distributed Audio Nodes on both G4 machines.
4. In Logic on the G5, assign the Logic instruments and effects (Sculpture, Space Designer, etc.) to the G4 nodes.
5. Create the final mix in Logic on the G5 with plenty of CPU remaining to run all my non-Logic plugins.

Is that right? Or am I misunderstanding this?

As I said, I'll still be doing 90% of my work on Live...I'm just looking for a CPU boost in the mixing stage, and a few things I miss like EQ on the channel strip and video sync. And it'd be nice to be able to utilise my old Macs too and keep 'em productive.

Cheers