OT: Dropped my MBP. Backup online ASAP? Where?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

OT: Dropped my MBP. Backup online ASAP? Where?

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:15 pm

So, this happened last night

No real excuses for it. My drunk ass just dropped it.

I have an external WD drive that I'm intending to use just for backup, but it's back at home and I'm still 3 days away from being able to use it.

The MBP is working perfectly fine right now, but I'm afraid that this little mishap may trigger a failure of some sort soon. Maybe I'm being a little too paranoid, but I think I'd like to back up online ASAP just in case something happens within these 3 days. :cry:

So what do you think? Should I back up online? What's a good solution?

Dalski

Re: OT: Dropped my MBP. Backup online ASAP? Where?

Post by Dalski » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:25 pm

That largely depends on how much data you have to backup? I hope it's not in the tens of GB because you'll end up needing a very high upload bandwidth to even get it all online within 3 days...

Bit more info and i'll let you know some options

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I need at least 40 GB to feel safe.

Maybe I should hit up a shop and get an affordable portable drive :?: :idea:

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:30 pm

A backup solution online that would cover all of the data on your HD would probably cost around the same price as a external hard drive that would do the same thing, unless you're willing to go with a free service that will do tiny chunks but will take you three days just to do all of those chunks.

Does your superdrive still work? Back up to DVD (the single layer DVDs), probably the cheapest route, but I wouldn't go anywhere with my laptop and not have an external as backup in case shit goes wrong, especially in a performance situation.

EDIT:

Someone else already said all of that. Go get yourself a hard drive, 40gb should be cheap, and something you can get at the local walmart, if you have to.

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:34 pm

aqua_tek wrote:I need at least 40 GB to feel safe.

Maybe I should hit up a shop and get an affordable portable drive :?: :idea:

40GB will take days to upload even on the fastest upload connection (in the UK anyway). The external HD or DVD backups are your only viable options as john doe said.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:39 pm

from what i understand your hard drive should be fine as long as it wasn't in operation at the time you dropped it.. and if it was the failure would have probably been immediate.

i'd still recommend having your files backed up online anyway for other reasons.
check out these two.. i use them both

http://www.adrive.com/
-- free 50 gigs and upgradable for more space and features.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1Mzk3NTM5
-- 2 gigs free 50 gigs = $10 month
i pay for this one because it very seamless and i can auto sink up multiple computers.
so when i edit a file it automatically updates the file server then it updates any other computer that is synced.. its great for my situation.
(that link is a referral .. i'll get more space if you sign up for the free account :)
o and the 2 gigs free is dope.. you can put your live set in the synced folder.. and always have your current live set backed up and ready to roll.. plus you can recover to past saves if your set ever get corrupted.. it saved my ass once already.

theirs no reason not to have online back up these days.. plenty of free and affordable options.

edit..
ya backing up 40 gigs would take for ever..
but just getting up the important files .. like your live set and current projects

and ya dvd and maybe get a thumb drive also

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:11 pm

We use www.humyo.com :) 100 gig for £46 a year. We also have a physical hardrive backup as well. Humyo syncs all latest info on specified folders ie like live song folders, inst racks vst favouries etc etc and then synchronises them online as a safety backup and sending the new song data imeddiately to my partner so that we have the latest versions of the work we are producing together no matter where we are in the world. Just like ABleton share but working now. :) and totally automatic.

best
:)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:12 pm

buy another HD...
their cheap (cheaper than DVDs per mb...and faster)
why backup online ? there's so many openings for data corruption that way...
have a 'backup only ' HD (or 2)..
always have 2 backups of your important files...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 pm

aqua_tek wrote:So, this happened last night

No real excuses for it. My drunk ass just dropped it.

I have an external WD drive that I'm intending to use just for backup, but it's back at home and I'm still 3 days away from being able to use it.

The MBP is working perfectly fine right now, but I'm afraid that this little mishap may trigger a failure of some sort soon. Maybe I'm being a little too paranoid, but I think I'd like to back up online ASAP just in case something happens within these 3 days. :cry:

tss.. thats nothing.. dont make the pc users call you a mac pussy
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

telekom

Post by telekom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:27 pm

+1 for Adrive. Free 50Gb. I only started using it last week so can only say it has been good to begin with. Easy registration, no hassles there. I found the javascript uploader a bit temperamental on my powerbook using opera, but it got there eventually.
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:48 pm

*peers over glasses in professorial manner* Young man, you really should have a hard drive backup anyway. I'm a new-ish convert to Time Machine. Ridiculously easy peace of mind, does it for you, no thinking. Buy a half-Tera or Tera drive. Today. Plus an enclosure. And you'll never have to worry again.

I upgraded my MBP to a 500GB 7200rpm HD (Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS) Now I keep all my sample and music library on the internal, plus whatever projects I'm currently working on. So impressed with the Seagate I bought the 5400 rpm version of the same model for my external backup.

Now take a hundred lines:
"Data that doesn't exist in two places doesn't exist"
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Pitch Black wrote: I upgraded my MBP to a 500GB 7200rpm HD (Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS) Now I keep all my sample and music library on the internal, plus whatever projects I'm currently working on. So impressed with the Seagate I bought the 5400 rpm version of the same model for my external backup.
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the large capacity 2.5" drives & it's good to have someone trustworthy recommend one.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Three places. You need an offsite location too.

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:22 am

Carbonite is a good idea for online backups.

Glyph drives are a good idea for external drive gigging.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 am

Pitch Black wrote:

*peers over glasses in professorial manner* Young man, you really should have a hard drive backup anyway. I'm a new-ish convert to Time Machine. Ridiculously easy peace of mind, does it for you, no thinking. Buy a half-Tera or Tera drive. Today. Plus an enclosure. And you'll never have to worry again.

I upgraded my MBP to a 500GB 7200rpm HD (Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS) Now I keep all my sample and music library on the internal, plus whatever projects I'm currently working on. So impressed with the Seagate I bought the 5400 rpm version of the same model for my external backup.

Now take a hundred lines:
"Data that doesn't exist in two places doesn't exist"
The rule is actually 3 places.

1- The working copy on your computer
2- An incremental daily backup on an external or separate internal device.
3- One complete archived offsite backup in case your pc and your hard drive get stolen or exploded at the same time.

These days its easy to add a number 4 - Online incrememental backup as necessary.

Its a fact of computer life that if you dont have at least 3, you WILL lose data at some point, its just a matter of time. And its always going to be the bit of data you need the most.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.