Just be happy with your gear collecting

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me

Just be happy with your gear collecting

Post by beats me » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:54 pm

There's a lot of people that beat themselves up over the amount of software and gear they have or will buy in comparison to their music output, sell stuff off because they feel all the options are a distraction, redundant, or useless, or won't buy something new until they master A, B, and C. But why not just be happy with, or even proud of, the music stuff you own and will buy purely for just that and it has nothing to do with your output? There's far more useless and less practical things people enjoy collecting that they don't beat themselves up over.

LoopStationZebra

Re: Just be happy with your gear collecting

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:55 pm

wha?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Is this the kind of drivel we can expect now that you are sober? Because if that's the case it's time to have one of these:

:P

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:50 pm

beats me wrote:There's a lot of people that beat themselves up over the amount of software and gear they have or will buy in comparison to their music output, sell stuff off because they feel all the options are a distraction, redundant, or useless, or won't buy something new until they master A, B, and C. But why not just be happy with, or even proud of, the music stuff you own and will buy purely for just that and it has nothing to do with your output? There's far more useless and less practical things people enjoy collecting that they don't beat themselves up over.
I have come to this philosophy on occasion as well. Sometimes the tyranny of possessions gets me down: I think that I ought to be DOING something with them all, or sell them either for the money or so someone else can use them.

Other times I think that I will get around to using a particular piece of gear (which I most likely will). I also like to have spare gear on hand for when friends drop by.

And, truth be told, it's all quite wonderful to look at. Being a science fiction & horror film fan, it's fun living in a combination of the Forbidden Planet spaceship & Frankenstein's lab.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Careful. Pretty soon all that gear collecting just turns into hoarding.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 pm

There's also the added benefit of having other people do the heavy lifting for you when they get a little more in depth into a piece of gear or software than you. It may just be collecting dust for quite some time until somebody posts something on a place like this forum or youtube and you have that "holy shit!" moment that reignites your interest and tweaking.

....far better than the "Shit, I just sold mine!" moment.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:04 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Careful. Pretty soon all that gear collecting just turns into hoarding.

Woah! What are you doing sneaking into my studio taking pictures?

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:17 pm

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:24 pm

beats me wrote:There's a lot of people that beat themselves up over the amount of software and gear they have or will buy in comparison to their music output, sell stuff off because they feel all the options are a distraction, redundant, or useless, or won't buy something new until they master A, B, and C. But why not just be happy with, or even proud of, the music stuff you own and will buy purely for just that and it has nothing to do with your output? There's far more useless and less practical things people enjoy collecting that they don't beat themselves up over.
...because sometimes you need inspiration..
and inspirations comes sometimes with new experiences new toys...new women...creations by other people..
beautiful things
...it's either those things ..or other mind numbing /painful experiences (which will happen anyways..)

...but mostly.. I think it's because people tend to want to have fun and enjoy ..

we all have addictions.. :wink:

Shillelagh Law

Post by Shillelagh Law » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:27 pm

people collecting gear and software is kool, it's a rewarding hobby etc etc.
It's just a pity when these people develop emotional attachments to brands and go out of their way to stifle the bona fide criticisms made by other users.
Anyone who responds to this message is a stalker. That's the law.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 pm

3dot... wrote:
...because sometimes you need inspiration..
and inspirations comes sometimes with new experiences new toys...new women...creations by other people..
beautiful things
...it's either those things ..or other mind numbing /painful experiences (which will happen anyways..)

...but mostly.. I think it's because people tend to want to have fun and enjoy ..

we all have addictions.. :wink:
Agreed, but some people buy gear thinking that alone is going to inspire them and when it doesn't they feel like they made a bad purchase. For some people new gear inspires them and for others it doesn't, but if it doesn't that doesn't mean it's completely useless or never will be. I'm saying maybe just enjoy the purchase for the sake of that alone, the way some people collect sports memorabilia or spoons.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Shillelagh Law wrote:people collecting gear and software is kool, it's a rewarding hobby etc etc.
It's just a pity when these people develop emotional attachments to brands and go out of their way to stifle the bona fide criticisms made by other users.

Any particular brands that come to mind when you wrote that?

:P

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:30 pm

hunters and gatherers or farmers?

the farmer buys an acoustc guitar.. learns all the songs.. and is the big hero on all world wide beaches..
while the hunter and gatherers still sit in theiere cave while the new maynley has eaten all holyday budgets for the next 3 years?

however.. in electronic music there is an experimental aproach..and people like to experiment with new things..

the acoustic guitar aproach dont really works there..
I decided long ago to keep my euqipment set pretty constant.. the tables full..not more... what dont works good or went boring goes and frees some budget for another experiment..
however.. miss my juno 60 wright now.. or the prophet VS.. the nord modulars i got instead are nice.. but...

It is easy to be a synth collector i guess.. if i still would have them all i couldnt move in my studio.. but actually..

ahh noo.. too much... just the list of all the synths i had and passed over the years would fill the room..
however.. prophet VS and Juno 60.. nice nice nice.. the ones that pop into mind imeadeatly are defently the ones you should have kept..

maybe a synth lend circle would be a good idea :-)

with a central station that keeps them serviced permanently..like theese car sharing rings.. :-)
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:01 pm

M4L killed my software gearlust. I'll be working on this for years to come.

As far as hardware goes: computers, controllers, and axes will never stop being bought. It's just the way of things.
Unsound Designer

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:38 pm

I quite enjoy it. It's like there's stuff out there yet to be discovered which can inspire you.

However, it's important to balance that against preventing you from getting things done (thinking you need something).