Drumatrix ! New drum synth from image line

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Drumatrix ! New drum synth from image line

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 pm

I hope this one sounds better thatn Tatto wich sounded ugly.

http://www.image-line.com/documents/drumatrix.html

Tweaking Knobs

Re: Drumatrix ! New drum synth from image line

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:24 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:I hope this one sounds better thatn Tatto wich sounded ugly.

http://www.image-line.com/documents/drumatrix.html

bump

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 pm

One more drum synth. Wow, what great marketing. They really spotted a niche and developed the perfect product. :?

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm

i think Tattoo sounds fine, drumatrix redefines thin drum sounds though :|

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

milfhuntr wrote:One more drum synth. Wow, what great marketing. They really spotted a niche and developed the perfect product. :?
It does sort of feel like all music software developers decided they needed a drum plug-in and just got around to releasing them.

Aside from Maschine I haven't heard of any of these being released in the last year that are must haves, but there's no shortage of plug-inaholics that will buy stuff because they can't help it.

geiger167

Post by geiger167 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Tried the Beta in Live, crashed it four times, gave up lol

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Just clicking the preset arrow crashed live every time, hm. Though it is a beta.....anyway I think it sounds good. But it's no microtonic killer, it's just cheap.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 pm

I don't know, read about it and listened to the demos. Compared to Tattoo it looks interesting to me.. Sounds tight and expressive.
At the core of Drumatrix is a model of the drum-head. Here the vibrating membrane is represented in a mesh of inter-connected of points, each given physical properties, mass, inertia, stiffness, damping and all that good physics stuff. For the musician, this means Drumatrix can model the drum-head with multiple parameters such as material, thickness, tension and even shape. More importantly the parameters can be modulated in real-time as a function of velocity or external controls. The drum body is also modelled, in terms of material, size, vibration damping and shape. All this gives you multi-dimensional performance possibilities, a Matrix of variables providing the almost infinite complexity & subtlety of hitting a real drum.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:47 pm

It makes some new sounds, some of which are nice. But the UI is fidgetty as hell, and the sequencer just seems tacked on.

I think I will stick to either microtonic or operator racks for drum synths for now.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Kodama wrote:It makes some new sounds, some of which are nice. But the UI is fidgetty as hell, and the sequencer just seems tacked on.

I think I will stick to either microtonic or operator racks for drum synths for now.
Thanks! I just realized I too own microtonic, and haven't used it for ages (hadn't even installed it on the MBP I currently use). Downloaded and installed it, and boy it sounds good. Wonder how did I forgot about it in the first place.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 pm

To be fair, both Drumatrix and Tattoo are trying for different things that MT.

I might pick up Tattoo at some point, but that still will not replace MT, they have a different goal and sound.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 pm

just heard it , woah , nice metal sounds , cool.

i might buy it. but i will check tatoo also.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:36 am

LeifonMars wrote:
Kodama wrote: boy it sounds good. Wonder how did I forgot about it in the first place.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

:wink:

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:03 pm

^Seriously! :P

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 pm

mholloway wrote:Just clicking the preset arrow crashed live every time, hm. Though it is a beta.....anyway I think it sounds good. But it's no microtonic killer, it's just cheap.

altought its more flexible in terms of sound.

and oh... those beautifull hiats and cyms.