Native Instruments Service Center...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Native Instruments Service Center...

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:19 am

hey, will NI Service Center be smart enough to know that i have reinstalled NI stuff on the same hard drive on the same Mac?

i am biting the bullet and doing a clean install, first time in 3 years, not fun!

kristian

Re: Native Instruments Service Center...

Post by kristian » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:57 am

I wouldn't count on it ;)

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:17 pm

fishmonkey wrote:hey, will NI Service Center be smart enough to know that i have reinstalled NI stuff on the same hard drive on the same Mac?

i am biting the bullet and doing a clean install, first time in 3 years, not fun!
shouldn't be any problem.

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 pm

I think it counts the installations based on your hardware config, not the amount of actual installations. So unless you change your hardware drastically, it'll work just fine.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

buzby

Post by buzby » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

every time that i have installed any NI software on my computer i have install the NI service centre each time

i have no idea why

but it infuriates me -
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:02 pm

buzby wrote:every time that i have installed any NI software on my computer i have install the NI service centre each time

i have no idea why

but it infuriates me -
The installation programs asks you if you want to install it - you can choose "Cancel" if you know you have Service center already. This will do no harm. Or do you mean it won't work otherwise if you don't re-install it?
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 pm

buzby wrote:every time that i have installed any NI software on my computer i have install the NI service centre each time

i have no idea why

but it infuriates me -
Traktor update came out today. As usual, the service center had to update itself before it could do anything and when it works all it does is load the Traktor Update package on to my desktop. SC provides very little benefit and is mostly just an annoyance. They should really rethink it...

jamief

Post by jamief » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 pm

8O wrote:

i have no idea why

but it infuriates me -
Traktor update came out today. As usual, the service center had to update itself before it could do anything and when it works all it does is load the Traktor Update package on to my desktop. SC provides very little benefit and is mostly just an annoyance. They should really rethink it...
yes i agree Ni needs to rethink

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Or you could just not use it. Fuck it. I get my updates from the NI site, like the old days.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 pm

jamief wrote:
8O wrote:

i have no idea why

but it infuriates me -
yes i agree Ni needs to rethink
I actually think the Service Center is great if you have a lot of NI software and I can't think of a better way for them to handle it. I rarely instantly update my NI software when NI sends an update email. Maybe once a month I launch Service Center and it scans all my NI software and lets me know what updates are available for what. How can you have a problem with that?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:46 pm

this forum cracks me up... all we do is complain!

apparentely no company, no matter how well everything works, can get it right. there will always be some minor thing that will set someone off and they will bitch about it. then someone else will agree with them.

NI SC works just fine. you don't have to log in every time you want to check for updates and it downloads them automatically to the folder of your choosing. it keeps all of your serial numbers for you, and shows you all updates, downloads, and manuals for your products should you want to download any of that shit.

it works just like microsoft update. you don't have to go searching through pages of shit just to find the stuff you want to download and install.

where is the flaw in that?

and if you're going to do a clean install, take the time to email support and let them know that you are if you are concerned that it may not authorize correctly. you would want to do that with a lot music apps or plugins except the ones that use ilok or syncrosoft.

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 pm

It is good for quickly getting an overview of what NI products you have. But really, how often do you need to do that?

Usual procedure is: fire up SC, tells you that it has to update itself, enter admin password, updates itself, tells you that Traktor needs an update (the reason I fired up SC in the first place), download the update to wherever you want, but doesn't install it, I still have to manually install it, enter admin password again, at the end SC still has an icon telling me that the update I just installed is available.

I'm sure there are smoother, sleeker ways of doing this, without having to go through all this faffing around...

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:43 pm

i don't know what you are doing wrong but i don't have to enter any passwords when i log into SC. who cares if it doesn't automatically install the program. maybe you're not ready to install it yet. maybe you just want to download it without having to flip through a bunch of pages on NI's website. Live doesn't automatically install. and i don't get an icon saying an update is available after i've installed the update.

you might want to re-install SC. sounds like something went wrong with your install.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Log in to your NI download page. Check off "Do not show products already downloaded". Download anything new. Done.
That's my preferred method, but to each their own.
Professional Shark Jumper.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

meh...I like it .. only time I use it is when I install... (same as every sw) ... :mrgreen: