Native Instruments Service Center...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shai

Re: Native Instruments Service Center...

Post by shai » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:30 pm

the mighty service center is an unpredictable beast. he sees things that don't exist. he sees not what does. he is strange.

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Erm - why are you bitching about NI software in the Ableton forums?

shai

Post by shai » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 pm

vicz wrote:Erm - why are you bitching about NI software in the Ableton forums?
because NI forums are another thing wort bitching about. not fun like here. and hell.. that's at least got *something* to do with making music. you don't really want us to talk again about the middle east crisis?
:)

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Middle East Crisis? Never heard of them.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Ewistrand will show up sooner or later here.. he always does! if it's about anything NI, he's all over it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Also SC sees cracked versions of NI software as being in demo mode. That's pretty nice of them considering they can see the cracks and they don't do something Apple-esque like brick your computer.

buzby

Post by buzby » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:33 pm

McQ714 wrote:this forum cracks me up... all we do is complain!

apparentely no company, no matter how well everything works, can get it right. there will always be some minor thing that will set someone off and they will bitch about it
ah now that aint totally true well .. i cant remember bitching about too much on this forum- but agreed this is a luxury problem when you put it into perspective

anyways - for some reason i thought you had to go through the NI service centre procedure for your stuff to be registered and to get your updates and like i said, even though it is installed it seems that i cant proceed without reinstalling, guess im doing something wrong

anyways - you re right - it aint worth bitching about

being a resident in haiti at the moment - now there's a reason to bitch
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:52 pm

buzby wrote:
McQ714 wrote:this forum cracks me up... all we do is complain!

apparentely no company, no matter how well everything works, can get it right. there will always be some minor thing that will set someone off and they will bitch about it
ah now that aint totally true well .. i cant remember bitching about too much on this forum- but agreed this is a luxury problem when you put it into perspective

anyways - for some reason i thought you had to go through the NI service centre procedure for your stuff to be registered and to get your updates and like i said, even though it is installed it seems that i cant proceed without reinstalling, guess im doing something wrong

anyways - you re right - it aint worth bitching about

being a resident in haiti at the moment - now there's a reason to bitch
I know when I get new NI products or updates it does ask if you want to install SC when it's done installing the main software but I just tell it no and then just open the SC that is already installed on my drive and everything is there.

But since SC is really good at scanning your drives for NI software I suppose something they could do better is after each NI install it scans your drives to see if SC is already there and if it is then it doesn't ask you if you want to install it again.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:56 pm

SC doesn't scan your drives in windows. the information for all installations is stored in the windows registry. SC scans the registry to retrieve serial numbers, versions, etc. at least i think that's what it is doing. don't know how it works with macs.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 pm

McQ714 wrote:SC doesn't scan your drives in windows. the information for all installations is stored in the windows registry. SC scans the registry to retrieve serial numbers, versions, etc. at least i think that's what it is doing. don't know how it works with macs.
Correct.

As for the Service Center installing with each app; actually, it'll skip over the SC install if it's already installed; that's why you get that drifting install bar instead of the steady progress.

Me- I love it. I like being able to install all my NI stuff (and I've got a lot) and then activate everything at once.

ew

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:02 pm

McQ714 wrote:SC doesn't scan your drives in windows. the information for all installations is stored in the windows registry. SC scans the registry to retrieve serial numbers, versions, etc. at least i think that's what it is doing. don't know how it works with macs.
I honestly don't know how it works either, but only that it does work.

But there is plenty of software that scans your drives for existing components and software so that it doesn't install something that is already there. I don't know why NI installs can't do this by just looking for some key file that lets it know SC is already somewhere on your drive.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:04 pm

ewistrand wrote:
Correct.

As for the Service Center installing with each app; actually, it'll skip over the SC install if it's already installed; that's why you get that drifting install bar instead of the steady progress.

Me- I love it. I like being able to install all my NI stuff (and I've got a lot) and then activate everything at once.

ew

Go Vikings!!! Nobody is more deserving of the championship this year than Favre!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

ewistrand wrote:As for the Service Center installing with each app; actually, it'll skip over the SC install if it's already installed; that's why you get that drifting install bar instead of the steady progress.
Really? I'm pretty sure it asks me to install SC every time I add new NI software or update existing software.

I'm check for updates in the next couple days and if there are any I'll download and install and report if it asks me to install SC.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 pm

it asks me if i want to reinstall too, even if there is a newer version already on my Mac...

hereschenes

Post by hereschenes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 pm

McQ714 wrote:Go Vikings!!! Nobody is more deserving of the championship this year than Favre!
*vomits*

IMO, Favre is a self-serving sycophant. I hope his team gets absolutely obliterated this week.

Regarding SC, I don't have a big problem with it, although I'd prefer if it wasn't a Flash app. I guess it's an easy way for them to make it cross-platform. It pretty much works as-advertised though, so can't complain.