New Tutorial Website - Audio Tutorial Videos

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ruud

Re: New Tutorial Website - Audio Tutorial Videos

Post by Ruud » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Perfect!
Thanks a lot!

geo

Post by geo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 pm

#1thelark wrote: I stumbled across some videos that have been 'removed by the user'... maybe you need to check on that and have them removed or just copy all of them an reup them if necessary. Or just add a deadlink-report system. One can also tell that the video is not there anymore when there's no preview pic available (just plain text instead of a picture).
Good idea. Till I find a way to resolve the issue, it would be great if users would contact me through the contact form about any dead links. The site is for everyone so I would appreciate if users could contribute on that end!

geo

Post by geo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Website is going well, around 70 registered users and a few others following on Twitter. I would appreciate more feedback on how to improve the site or if anyone wants certain tutorials to be added. Thank you!

Doctor Doctor

Post by Doctor Doctor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:26 pm

There are loads of free Ableton tutorials and ones for other DAWs on the Point Blank youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/pointblankonline ... 0B0B40E8C2

You are more than welcome to use them

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Well, I went to the site. Lots of links it seems. What I don't like is the search option. I select Ableton (top one of the Ableton choices) and clear the search box and it comes up with nothing. It seems your default term for the box is search. When you click on it, and it clears, it should just do a default search on the choice selected in the left hand drop-down IMHO. I typed in clips to the box, general as well and it came back with nothing for Ableton. Maybe I'm missing something but I think the search needs some tweaking IMHO. I'll bookmark it and look around some more (I did not register, don't see a need if I am not sending links if that's what it's for).

[Edit] Ok, for the effects one I typed in effects in the search box and it returned a bunch of different videos. I still think it should key off the choice selected on the left and use main word, like Ableton, Acid, etc... as the default if nothing is input into the search box. Having it look for search is wrong. It should be empty when you click in it and it clears, i.e. it should stay cleared and not default to "search" as the word. Just my opinion. I'll poke around some more when time permits.

[Edit #2] LOL. I went to your DAWS and Software menu along the top and now see that it will bring up the links/videos from that area. If that's the case I would say the search is irrelevant for me as I'd rather just select from that vs trying the search part out. Do please remove search as the default word as it shouldn't be there and returns nothing if you just clear that box by clicking in it and hitting the search button. Other than that, nice job! :mrgreen:

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

geo

Post by geo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Yes, Mike, you are right about the search text. Generally, I see search as complementary to finding tutorials through the menu. You might have some tutorials in General/Overview and some others in Instruments/Effects/Techniques, with the search you can at least get a list of videos that belong to different categories. Another thing I would like to add is the ability for tutorials to be displayed as lists instead of thumbnails so more of them would be visible in one page compared to thumbnails. What do you think?

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:38 pm

geo wrote:Yes, Mike, you are right about the search text. Generally, I see search as complementary to finding tutorials through the menu. You might have some tutorials in General/Overview and some others in Instruments/Effects/Techniques, with the search you can at least get a list of videos that belong to different categories. Another thing I would like to add is the ability for tutorials to be displayed as lists instead of thumbnails so more of them would be visible in one page compared to thumbnails. What do you think?
Hi Geo,

Hmmm, displayed as lists. Depending on your coding skills it would be nice to have a pop-up image of the video via the list when moused over. That'd be rather cool/nice. But I'd remove the default search from the 2nd box as it's bad coding IMHO, it should clear and stay cleared and display a list of what the left side selector was set to (Live, Effects, Midi, etc...). At least how I'd look at setting it up. So what I mean is, get rid of the word search from the box completely as it's redundant :) and if nothing is input to it default to a keyword from the selection from the left side, i.e. if I select Ableton, it uses that, if I chose Ableton Effects/Midi on left side those would be default for the empty box. Do you get what I mean? Just trying to help out on that side of things.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

evileye

Post by evileye » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:24 am

nice one
watched loads already
things i would have never found on youboob

geo

Post by geo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:17 am

Had some problems with the website lately, had to change hosting service but now everything is working again, registration and contact form work as well...

geo

Post by geo » Fri May 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi everyone. For those who have been using my site, I plan to consolidate all subcategories from each DAW inside the Daws & Software category to make things simpler. For instance, in Cubase has three categories External hardware & Midi, General/Overview and Instruments/Effects/Techniques. The reason, I want to do that is because of the fact that, for instance, there might be a tutorial on how to export audio. That could go on the techniques but could easily go on the General Overview category making the tutorial hard to find for users that are in different category. Of course, users could use the search function to find tutorials, that's another reason I was thinking of going forward with the consolidation. Users could select software category, then use searh for more refined results.

What do you think?

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 am

Yeah I think you should drop those categories for each daw and maybe add keywords or tags to each video. So if someone clicks on Ableton, he then can sort by date and narrow down his search to certain videos (like techniques, midi, audio effects, artists etc.) by selecting keywords/tags
maybe you could also add that most searched topic for each daw...

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Fri May 21, 2010 8:13 am

Nice, thank you!
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

geo

Post by geo » Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 am

Ok, I think I might go on with the change then.
Gnuus wrote:Nice, thank you!
Thanks for registering, Gnuus!

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Can you post the real links? Don't wanna register just for that... or are you the admin and want to invite us :mrgreen: ?