Using Ableton and Modul8 on same laptop for live performance

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
towers of silence

Using Ableton and Modul8 on same laptop for live performance

Post by towers of silence » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:58 pm

I just dipped my foot into the world of VJ software and so far I'm enjoying it. I'm now at the point where I want to start using Modul8 live, but I've got a few logistical questions-

I run Ableton as my main live performance software alongside live instrumentation. I'm pretty conservative with my live sets when I set them up for a show, I freeze lots of tracks and don't use too many hungry plug-ins, so CPU usage won't be an issue. I'm looking at getting a small projector and running using that to project Modul8 images while I twiddle with Ableton. I assume this can be done, but I'm unclear about how I can do it, I don't want the projector to be switching back and forth between my ableton view and modul8 when I make changes in either program, I need the projected image to be Modul8 only, also, I have an adapter for my MacBook that allows me to hook and composite video output to my mini-DVI output and I can plug that into my TV, but whenever I do so, it changes the screen resolution on my Mac, which is also something i don't want to happen when I play live, I need my screen resolution to stay the same. I assume this is something i would adjust with the projector, though.
On that topic, any thoughts on a good, cheap, and most importantly, compact projector to buy?
If anyone has some words of wisdom about this please share, I'm sure a lot of it is in the Modul8 manual but I figured some real world examples might make it more clear for me. For my live shows I'm using a MacBook core2duo, Live 8.1.1 and now, Modul8 2.6.

Cheers,
Nathan