Lunchpad - programmable like normal midi controllers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deepdirtydub

Re: Lunchpad - programmable like normal midi controllers?

Post by deepdirtydub » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:47 pm

What are your settings in Live's midi preferences for Automap? Im seeing "Automap Midi" Input and Output. As well as "Automap Propellerhead" Input and Output. I've tried several combinations and they all seem to cause trouble with the normal Launchpad functions. It seems like the default functions are still active on the same buttons that Automap is trying to override. Any ideas?

I guess a good question would be... Is anybody using the Launchpad's default modes along with the Automap functions? I can't seem to get everything to work together.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:33 pm

I have both 'track' & 'Remote' input and output activated for 'Automap MIDI' 'Automap Propellerhead' 'Automap HUI' and 'launchpad' as well as having launchpad selected as control surface in the dropdown list.

I think your problem has more to do with live's midi mapping than automap. The thing is, live only registers midi channel & CC/note of any commands you set via the midi map but not the midi port (device).
Also, as soon as you map a control to a function this control is overwritten in any remote scripts.

So take the top left button on lauchpad, when in session mode this button sends out the note C-2 on midi channel 1. As soon as you map this to any function in live, the original use (play the top left clip) is overwritten, even if you map this from a midi keyboard that has nothing to do with the launchpad (and the same counts for sending messages via automap).

So, when using Live's midi mapping, you have to check that the commands you are mapping are not used in the remote scripts of any of your controlers.

projoosa

Post by projoosa » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Would the Lunchpad have scenes for starter, main course and desert ? ;D

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:16 pm

@Dexes

Thank you for you in-depth sharing of knowledge regarding this problem. It looks unnecessarily complicated but it is good to know there would be a way to make the Launchpad work the way I want it to (come on Novation!)

Question: I don't see anything in the "editor" that chooses color behaviour. Does that mean that all pads will be grey? Or toggle red and green? Do you have any idea how the colors act when re-assaigned from their pre-programmed functionality?

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Dexes wrote:I have both 'track' & 'Remote' input and output activated for 'Automap MIDI' 'Automap Propellerhead' 'Automap HUI' and 'launchpad' as well as having launchpad selected as control surface in the dropdown list.

I think your problem has more to do with live's midi mapping than automap. The thing is, live only registers midi channel & CC/note of any commands you set via the midi map but not the midi port (device).
Also, as soon as you map a control to a function this control is overwritten in any remote scripts.

So take the top left button on lauchpad, when in session mode this button sends out the note C-2 on midi channel 1. As soon as you map this to any function in live, the original use (play the top left clip) is overwritten, even if you map this from a midi keyboard that has nothing to do with the launchpad (and the same counts for sending messages via automap).

So, when using Live's midi mapping, you have to check that the commands you are mapping are not used in the remote scripts of any of your controlers.
The weird part is that I haven't midi mapped a single thing in Live. I've just turned on Automap and been playing around with the default layouts that were there already (a couple pages of toggles, a page of momentary switches, and a drum rack esque setup) and when I press any of the red "Automap" buttons the button acts as if it were the normal session view button. It seems like Automap is appearing over top of the regular Launchpad functions and just getting in the way. I've tried switching inputs,outputs midi channels etc. as well as changing the midi cc's. Im stuck. I guess I'll just move on and use it without the extra Automap stuff.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:50 pm

@Tone or anyone who knows:

So it looks like you can send whatever message you want for whatever pad you want.

My question now is: If I set up a row of, say, track mute pads, does Live send back the status to the Launchpad? (seems an archaic question in this day and age). Specifically, WILL THE PAD COLOR CHANGE TO INDICATE THE CHANNEL IS MUTED OR NOT?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:02 pm

nowtime wrote:@Tone or anyone who knows:

So it looks like you can send whatever message you want for whatever pad you want.
no. there is no editing what it sends. all you can do is put some piece of software in between to take in x and send out y.
My question now is: If I set up a row of, say, track mute pads, does Live send back the status to the Launchpad? (seems an archaic question in this day and age). Specifically, WILL THE PAD COLOR CHANGE TO INDICATE THE CHANNEL IS MUTED OR NOT?
I'll check later tonight if nobody chimes in. I did write earlier "if I go into User 2 I can assign the bottom row of buttons to the track on/off for 8 tracks. the LED lights up to reflect the state of the on/off button, IOW if I toggle the tracks on the APC or with the mouse, the LP is updated."

after all this time you should buy one from a shop with a 30 day return policy and try it for yourself. I think you might be looking at it wrong. you can use it as it is, it doesn't need to be or want to be tweaked. I think you're looking at it as if you want it to do some pre-conceived setups you have, look at it like it presents to you a way of working.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm

The AkaiPro controllers are suddenly looking very desirable!! 8)

Hopefully they can be programmed to do simple midi controlling.
Life is Good

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm

^ You're trying to do custom mappings on the launchpad to control track mutes for 8 tracks?

Mixer mode already has that.

You do have a valid argument, that it sucks you can't program the launchpads MIDI via an editor, but aren't you trying to do something that it already does?

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 pm

nowtime wrote:The AkaiPro controllers are suddenly looking very desirable!! 8)

On the APC40 (guess it'll be the same on the 20) you can customise exactly Nothing! The only options are getting programs that translate the midi messages (kind of similar to automap) only nothing comes with the controler and you have to pay for 3rd party software (bome's midi translator, or max4live being the most used)

btw, if you care about muting etc, with launchpad I recomend watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQ2f_T6K3g

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:28 pm

outershpongolia wrote:^ You're trying to do custom mappings on the launchpad to control track mutes for 8 tracks?

Mixer mode already has that.

You do have a valid argument, that it sucks you can't program the launchpads MIDI via an editor, but aren't you trying to do something that it already does?
yep. I think this is paralysis through over analysis.

funny, you can't modify what the LP or APC send but I've been using them nightly for months and loving it.

weird. if you can't modify them how can they be used at all??

they just work.

User 2 is the entrance to the rabbit hole with max4Live.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:05 pm

My only wish would that the LP could display clips with a different code of color than the standard mode. Otherway, I must admit it is completely awesome.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Tone

The reason I need mutes that are not on the mixer mode is because my 8x8 grid would control 8 Loopers. One of the rows would be mutes. Tada! I need it all within sight without having to go to another page.

Yer' givin' me a hard time man! :wink:
Life is Good

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Dexes wrote:
nowtime wrote:The AkaiPro controllers are suddenly looking very desirable!! 8)

On the APC40 (guess it'll be the same on the 20) you can customise exactly Nothing! The only options are getting programs that translate the midi messages (kind of similar to automap) only nothing comes with the controler and you have to pay for 3rd party software (bome's midi translator, or max4live being the most used)

btw, if you care about muting etc, with launchpad I recomend watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQ2f_T6K3g
CRAP!! APC40 not customizable?? WTF!

But I read that any button could be mapped to anything......
Life is Good

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 pm

nowtime wrote:Yer' givin' me a hard time man! :wink:
:mrgreen: this is all pretty funny. I see this hitting 40 pages. :lol: but really, it's about my comment above about using it for so long without needing tweaks. I see someone looking at these from afar asking usability questions while I've found them to be usable without questioning them first. something like that. nothing wrong with researching before you blow some cash.

you can assign the APC or LP buttons to things in Live, you just can't change what they send.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz