Using Session View to run multi-channel clips on stage

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kilroy

Using Session View to run multi-channel clips on stage

Post by Kilroy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi,

I spend all my time in Live's arrangement view producing multi-track backing tracks that I use on stage. They are usually comprised of about 10 tracks that get mixed down to three busses (one is click, one is instruments, and the other is guitars; guitars get processed differently for FOH). These three busses get sent through a Presonus Firebox to three separate channels on our board. I have been loading up each of these projects between songs. Is there a way I can save each of these projects as a clip and then bring them into Session View and fire them as I need them? The thing is they would need to each have three channels of output (see above) and ideally, I would like them to play one after the other without much intervention on my part. I'm not sure if this is possible but what I am envisioning is a row (or column?) of clips (each labeled with a song name) and then spacers (5 secs, 10 secs) between them to give us the appropriate amount of silence between songs.

Is that even possible with Session View? I have played around with it but do not know if clips can have three channels of output, and don't know how to make them play one after the other. I tried a search but could not get it narrow enough to determine if I could do what i describe above.

Thanks,

K.

gurumonkey

Re: Using Session View to run multi-channel clips on stage

Post by gurumonkey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 pm

sure. here's what i would do. set up your three mixes to sends and get them how you like them. take a blank audio track and set the input on it to aux-send whatever. use session view for this. hit record, and you can even record a certain ammount of blank time afterwards. do this with all the sends for each song, making sure to label them appropriately. Then make a new set, set up the three individual tracks to have their outputs head out the firebox. select all the clips and tell them you want the follow action to play next, and make sure the chance of that happening is 100%. you can even lead a scene blank so that it will give you more of an adlib rest time and relaunch when done. read up on follow actions in the manual, and nothing else is all that hard. let me know if you need help.