Half the peeps I know with Live have cracked versions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Half the peeps I know with Live have cracked versions

Post by gjm » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:34 am

I personally only know 4 people who have Ableton Live. Two have legit copies and two have cracks, one is V5.1(I think) and the other V8.0.4. I know these numbers are small and are not enough to draw conclusions from, but I can safely say what the thread title claims. :|
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Goran@Irrupt

Re: Half the peeps I know with Live have cracked versions

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:39 am

easy... they'll buy it eventually. :wink:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:49 am

I'd assume that more than 50% of Live users use cracks.

Out of curiosity, do the crack users you know use Live as much or as deeply as the legit users?
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:01 am

Also, do they make hip hop?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:03 am

You only know 50%?

And yes they all will end up buying, i have witnessed it a few times already that guys went to DJ/Performance gigs and live refused to start do to violation...
*** Image GAFM ***

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:55 pm

I had a cracked version for years.
If it hadn't of been for the cracks available i would never have bought live.

and the whole "cracked versions will die eventually" is a myth.. only damn problems ive had is with legit live 8 :lol:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Half the peeps I know with live have crack

and big ups to those who do the right thing, but not everyone is as holy as thou peeps, it's almost always the case that once a freeloader, always a freeloader. Would those crackheads pay for their rocks and pipes if they could have it for free??
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:46 pm

I think if your making any kind of money from the use of software.
you MUST purchase it. only fair.

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:52 pm

idem for me ..50/50..

why big soft companies dont give jobs to the best live crakers team ? :wink:

yeah i think ..the new demos are good for a deep testing phase ..

its normal that people want to test very well a soft before spending 400 euros if they dont have lot money ..

when it becomes your main tool because you love it and you have money to buy it ..i think people prefer to have the legal version..normal .

just my point of view :wink:
Last edited by petit nuage on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.

cacti

Post by cacti » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:14 pm

I started out on a crackled version to get to know the program. Im not gonna shell out a lot of money for a program I dont even knwo if I like. After a couple months of saving up I bought the real thing.

chilleddreams

Post by chilleddreams » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 pm

I also used a cracked version to 'demo' Live. I find that's a better way than using timeboxed or saving-disabled demo versions. After getting really addicted to Live I bought an official version.
Mac mini 2018 i5 3 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Sonnet eGPU
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Live 10 Suite, Push 2,
Maschine Studio, Electribe EMX/ESX, Pulse
UAD Satellite Duo

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 pm

That's how many started. I was the same with Cubase Pro 24 on the Atari ST, although that was the last time I ran a crack ...I worked in a music shop back then and eventually was able to buy the product for a huge discounted price when they were clearing out Pro 24. That setup together with my Tascam Portastudio and then a Fostex R8 reel to reel tape 8 track with tiny second hand 8 channel Soundcraft mixer and a Yamaha SPX90 effects box served me for nearly 10 years.

However, Ableton now give an unlimited demo for 14 days and offer the very cheap Live Intro these days, so there are other options for getting started with Live that didn't exist a year ago these days. Live's demo is now fully functional, it was previously save disabled.

Also remember - educational discounts - a lot of people are entitled to discounts but many never think of it. $200-$250 dollars or whatever for an edu version of Live giving you access to all the full features of the program makes a lot less of a dent in your wallet and psychologically speaking. A lot of kids have a couple of hundred bucks to drop on Nike running shoes or 2 or 3 video games etc, so there's no reason why that portion of kids couldn't buy Live Intro or even stump up the full version on an edu discount, especially as they can try out Live for 14 days to see if it works for them.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:10 pm

With Ableton now offering a 30-day trial, a cheap Intro version and upgrade paths all the way to Suite doesn't seem there's a much of a valid 'try before you buy' crack excuse now.
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

morbid

Post by morbid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:22 pm

I used AIR 7.0.3 for a long time - over a year when learning the program. No crashes, freezes, violation issues at all, really solid copy of the program.

However...

When ableton released 8 and started doing the 30 day trial thing I switched to that and at the same time bought 6 second hand from ebay and had the license transfered.

Without using the AIR I never would have bought and alright ableton havent made anything directly from me yet but when I upgrade (and I will) they have another happy customer.

If anyone is using cracks there really is no point anymore - just sign up 12 email addresses (free) and you can use the latest version of 8 suite unrestricted for a year - shit I dont know any other company who offers this. I still run 8 on the 30 day trial as I have projects I started in 8 that I cant transfer

dump the cracks and run the trial - you will convert eventually

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:47 pm

ShelLuser wrote:You'll never root out pirated software and IMO you also shouldn't bother too hard. Make sure you have a good security scheme, run a fair business and don't worry too much about the money you might have earned...
+1 I was discussing this issue with a successful mobile apps company manager - they spend exactly zero effort on anti-piracy mechanisms.