Thinking of getting a Launchpad but running Live 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thelike5

Re: Thinking of getting a Launchpad but running Live 7

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
xrayfish wrote:Time of the month, Tone?
what the fuck?!?! these two guys are on MY ass. I asked a simple question, it did not add up. I never even accused the guy os using a crack, never even wrote the word. all I wrote is "he can't afford Live 8 but he can afford a Launch Pad?" wow.

thelike5 - you've done nothing but troll me and write personal attacks on me since you started posting yesterday. if anyone should be banned, you're the one being an asshole.
I might be on your ass but thats because it's the end of the week and my bullshit detector is on overload. The other guy wasn't on your ass! He simply posted looking for answers and you took the opportunity to fuck with him = not cool.

Nav

Post by Nav » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it does sound like a possible crack user, I thought it was funny.
That's what I picked up on ;)

Nav

Post by Nav » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you're both just being assholes. it was just a simple question.

you had to ask which version of Live works with LP and I'm the dumb one? LOL!!

chill out, this isn't cool.
And you calling me dumb now have i insulted you once?

IF you read my original post my question was pretty clear, you just misinterpreted it.

Can we get this back on track now please?

Anyone else wants to comment about the APC40 on live 7 (bought and paid for :P ) I'd appreciated your thoughts

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 pm

I genuinely LOL'ed when I read your original post. it sounded like someone was up to some shenanigans but maybe worded their question wrong. I've seen it happen. sorry I called you dumb, two wrongs don't make a right, you'd want to check the stats before spending money.

can you dig that some innocuous post I made days ago suddenly got me three people shitting on me? not cool, all sponsored by whats-his-face. the guy has got to chill out.

moving on...

get a Launch Pad, it's my favorite controller. it feels great to hold in your hands and after a bit you can learn to navigate the screens pretty easily.

Live 8 has Looper, group tracks, track coloring and other stuff but it's also not the best release Ableton has put out. by the time they do that major 'Quality' bug fix you can save up to buy it. I've used Live 7 to work with other people and I really prefer Live 8 but the new stuff in Live 8 isn't nearly as cool as a Launch Pad.

re: the LP vs. APC...
I see the LP as the id and APC as the ego.

IMO the LP is made to hold in your hands and get freaky with, launch clips, tweak volume levels, control sends, jump all over Live's controls.

meanwhile the APC quietly sits on my desk and acts as the master controller. I use the faders all the time and the shuttle controls are really handy. as are the midi overdub, metronome, and rec quantization buttons, I use those all the time.

they both have button fields but what happens with me is that I jump around with the LP but the APC's buttons is fairly static. the LP buttons can be showing sends or volumes or a step sequencer or some crazy mode. the APC always shows the buttons so it's like a go to display to see the clips.

the LP also shows more clips than the APC.

FWIW they do update each other.

I use the sends sometimes, I rarely use the 8 'automap' encoders because I use a BCR. because of the BCR I might swap out my APC40 for an APC80 to save desk space.

there's some redundancy with the APC and LP but buttons are a logical way to control clips and we use a clip based DAW.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Nav

Post by Nav » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:19 pm

I liked the look of the LP (and the price) but its lacking the faders and knobs unless you can use the pads effectively to do that stuff like it suggests?

Are you saying the APC pads arent as fun as the LP? kinda figured they were the same thing so getting an APC was a more complete solution.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Nav wrote:I liked the look of the LP (and the price) but its lacking the faders and knobs unless you can use the pads effectively to do that stuff like it suggests?
there are only 8 fader levels on the LP, so if you want a track a little louder or quieter, you need another controller. this doesn't happen too often but it does.

these days I fire up a Live set, grab the LP, launch a scene, go to the volume page, turn some tracks off and go from there. it's 80% LP but when I need fine control I go to the APC.
Are you saying the APC pads arent as fun as the LP? kinda figured they were the same thing so getting an APC was a more complete solution.
not so much that the APC isn't fun, it's that I really really like the LP. the APC's buttons are a little smaller, they feel like a very similar silicon pad as the Launch Pad and monome. the LP's buttons are better because the LP is better, I can do more with it, but I can't do start/stop and fine volume control.

to really confuse things... the APC replaced my Novation SL (track faders, encoders, shuttle controls etc) but the BCR can make the APC's encoders kind of unnecessary. so, for my way of working, an LP, an APC80 and a BCR work well together. needless to say I feel OK with the controllers I have, it's a great time for toys.

it's hard to say, we all do this stuff differently.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Nav

Post by Nav » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 am

Seems to me like the APC40 is a more all round piece of kit and the LP is very good at what it does. Both very cool

Nav

Post by Nav » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Still no idea what to buy right now. I just got lucky and received a cheque earlier than I expected it.

Whilst I'd love a new controller I think I need to focus on learning Live and Sound Design. I cant help thinking upgrading to Suite 8 would be a better start to give me all the lovely new instruments and FX.

Choices choices!

Nav

Post by Nav » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Well I caved and just upgraded to Suite 8. Should keep me busy

Nav

Post by Nav » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks for the advice I'l take a look at the info.

Yeah I need to start saving again :D

I do however think I like the launchpad because it's 'cool' but I like the APC40 because it does what I want it to do.

I'm also considering Max For Live just to chuck that in the melting pot :D