reinstalling Live 8 on the same computer.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deepfield

reinstalling Live 8 on the same computer.

Post by deepfield » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:23 pm

hello,

i need to wipe my hard drive and reinstall Live 8 on the SAME computer. my question is, will i need to reauthorize Live 8 again? how does this work when it comes time, after installing Live 8 and launching it for the first time, to authorize Live 8?

thank you very much in advance.
2.4Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro - 4Gb RAM - OS 10.6.2 - Live 8.1.1 - Motu 828 Mk1 - Axiom 49

Globaldj

Re: reinstalling Live 8 on the same computer.

Post by Globaldj » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 pm

Live gives you two authorizations w/o asking any questions. If this is only the second time you are doing it, you will be fine. Otherwise you will have to explain why you are authorizing again... hope it helps
Living in a world of Graphic Design and Music Production

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi deepfield,

If you completely wipe your drive, you will need to reauthorize Live. Unless you've changed hardware, however, in most cases this will not be seen by our servers as a "new" authorization, but rather a re-use of an exiting authorization.

When you start Live for the first time after reinstalling, Live will automatically walk you through the authorization process.

Best,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:09 pm

my advice is to do it early in the week. in case something does go wrong it's easier to get a reply from Ableton during the week.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi deepfield,

If you completely wipe your drive, you will need to reauthorize Live. Unless you've changed hardware, however, in most cases this will not be seen by our servers as a "new" authorization, but rather a re-use of an exiting authorization.

When you start Live for the first time after reinstalling, Live will automatically walk you through the authorization process.

Best,
Hi there, I'm not the original poster but I have a follow-up question. How about if you change from Windows Vista to Windows 7, but the hardware remains the same, will it use an existing authorization or require a new one? I assume it will probably require a new authorization but figured I'd check. Thanks.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:06 am

Hi pedx1ng,

I don't know the exact conditions under which our system thinks you're running on a "new" machine, but a new OS is a possibility.

In a worst-case scenario, however, you can contact our support and explain why you need an additional unlock.

Best,

deepfield

Post by deepfield » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:39 pm

thanks everyone for your responses. i left out a possible major bit of info: i have the educational version. i had to send in proof that i am a student in order to authorize my copy of Live.

does this change things from the instructions above?

sorry i left that out.
2.4Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro - 4Gb RAM - OS 10.6.2 - Live 8.1.1 - Motu 828 Mk1 - Axiom 49

Reshic

Post by Reshic » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:05 am

I am having a similar problem to deepfeild. I have the full 8 suite and has been installed on my computer since release. My hard drive crashed and had to be sent away for replacment under warrenty. All my system info is gone and a new hd has been put in and Windows reinstalled (i.e. same computer but completely wiped).

When i installed 8 again it only gives me the option of 'New authorization'. I haven't connected to the net and gone through the authorization process yet because i hope to expand my studio and dont want to use my second allowence on the same computer.

I noticed in the Ableton manual it says that usually the system will recognize your system unless you reformatt your HD but does not mention replacement.

Any help is much apriciated

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:25 am

deepfield wrote:thanks everyone for your responses. i left out a possible major bit of info: i have the educational version. i had to send in proof that i am a student in order to authorize my copy of Live.

does this change things from the instructions above?

sorry i left that out.
I think that was just a one off :D
now that they know the account is owned by a student, all is ok.

i assume...