Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
booster69

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Post by booster69 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Mehalic wrote: Like I said, jack of all trades master of none. I'm not discounting the perceived value of this tablet, I'm just saying that something built to be a controller will fair a bit better than something that is built as a catch all.
Quite true - the iPad will no doubt be a "jack of all" - but the important aspect is the multi-touch screen AND the OS. Love it or hate it the iPhone truly is a techno-phenomenon, with programmers falling over themselves to offer apps to the masses.

One of the great things about Apple is the fact that once you have made the initial outlay to own a Mac you also own the right to create apps with their free dev studio - Xcode. They have also wisely made sure software for the iPhone (and no doubt the iPad) can be generated using the same code - Cocoa. This means we should already have a plethora of programmers waiting to pounce on this medium and offer us some terrific multi-touch controllers for our software. I wouldn't be surprised if the Abes themselves aren't contemplating writing an app for it.

Maybe Jazzmutant should consider porting their Lemur and Dexter software onto the iPad.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:12 pm

davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.

the iphone can track more then 2 touches silly.

the apple mouse can track 11 even... and it's not even a screen.

i have a lemur, and i will wait and see, but i don't think there will be anything as
flexible as the lemur for a long while, plus the lemur has a much larger screen
(if the apple device is indeed 10 inches)

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:19 pm

davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.

the lemur can handle more than two fingers with ease. something i don't expect from the iCraplet (but it sure would be nice).

if it doesn't have that, it has a big - to the lemur.

i just got a lemur and it's so worth the money, even if cheaper alternatives may exist. it's just much fun, and simple plugin-and-use like.

i somehow now have the joke in my head about the iphone which stops playing music when you get a call (big ads in tv about that). i hope your gig doesn't stop when you get a call :)

no, but seriously, i'm all for some other lemur-like solutions. but lemur delivers :)
Dualtouch!? I don't think so. Even the new macbook's trackpads can detect up to 11 fingers at the same time...it would make no sense for them to develope and hype up a tablet that can only detect 2 fingers.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:42 pm

gomi wrote:

the iphone can track more then 2 touches silly.

the apple mouse can track 11 even... and it's not even a screen.
okay, i checked and correct myself.

still, the last statement is silly. making a good trackpad is more easy than making a good touchscreen. why? because making sure it's still as functional while having to be nearly 100% transparent (and thin) is more work than without having to care about it being transparent (and thin)
i have a lemur, and i will wait and see, but i don't think there will be anything as
flexible as the lemur for a long while, plus the lemur has a much larger screen
(if the apple device is indeed 10 inches)
yeah, forgot about that. i'd prefer something LARGER than the lemur. 15" screen or something. not smaller.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 pm

I could be wrong on this but wouldn't the resolution on an Apple tablet be a lot better than a lemur and therefore potentially graphically richer? I think sometimes Live users think all interfaces need to look like Live.

The lemur can easily be dethroned by a company like Apple and it cracks me up when people constantly complain about Apple's prices but then are mostly fine dropping $2,000 on a lemur or if they can't afford it still think the price is reasonable. Price and open development by fanboys on the tablet will make it a lot more attractive.

What some people forget is that Apple has been spending a looooooong time on this so they aren't just going to shit out something half-assed they thought of 6 months ago.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:07 pm

i like to pay much for special devices, or small companies, or both. that's why i bought a lemur (for 1400$ btw). that's why i don't buy apple products. they don't deliver special value except for "it's apple".

other than that, well, the resolution thing could be important. if it's more of an iphone os in big, then the resolution might even stay, or might scale by a x2. but we'll see tomorrow. glad at least that now ANY page i'm frequent on has to post about the apple tablet in one form or another. that hype is so stupid.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:30 pm

davepermen wrote:i like to pay much for special devices, or small companies, or both. that's why i bought a lemur (for 1400$ btw). that's why i don't buy apple products. they don't deliver special value except for "it's apple".
I can understand wanting to support small companies but it's extremely narrow minded to think something doesn't deliver simply because it's made by a large corporation. Apple seems to be the largest recipient of "It's great/crap" statements regardless of what is developed.

I will give the lemur the size advantage and also the fact that it's built like a tank. Apple products are pretty solid too but they do look like they could break with a hard enough glance.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 pm

this new iSlab is meant to have something new about how you interact with it.
slightly more than multi-touch as an interface

Yet another recently departed Apple employee tipped me: “You will be very surprised how you interact with the new tablet.”
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/2 ... he-tablet/
early rumors indicate that you open apps by rubbing your groin on it

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:54 pm

beats me wrote: The lemur can easily be dethroned by a company like Apple and it cracks me up when people constantly complain about Apple's prices but then are mostly fine dropping $2,000 on a lemur or if they can't afford it still think the price is reasonable. Price and open development by fanboys on the tablet will make it a lot more attractive.
Point--Serve-- IMO if Apple releases a touchscreen "tablet"---The whole iPad vs Lemur concept will be just the same as the Launchpad vs. Monome 64 - A bigger & richer company steps in & decides to one up you & make their shit cheaper :wink:

Soo true on the Apple pricing bitchers who drop so much $ on a Lemur...Seems a bit silly to me...I can get a multitude of toys rather than just 1 fancy controller with that kind of cash money bitches.

My 2 cents :D

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:03 pm

completely disagree with that. its not like jazzmutant does anything else other than b a very complex dedicated midi controller. the new apple is gonna b aimed at a much bigger market - any great music apps/capabilities are gonna b a bonus...and will possibly b a good enough bonus to make it better than having a jazzmutant.

the thing is the jazzmutant was always way ahead of its time, hence why it was so expensive. technology has progressed and has become cheaper. it is time for more affordable alternatives to come out.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

davepermen wrote:but yeah, we'll see. if it's a blown-up iphone, it will have two fingers. if it's a touchpad with screen in, it will have more.
Wrong. iphones have multi-touch. I've got OSCemote open right now and have five fingers controlling different parameters.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that you had figured it out. Cheers.
Unsound Designer

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:19 pm

23 hours, 39 minutes more of this.

Then weeks of how much it rocks/sucks. Then come the revolutionary peripherals, like a keyboard that acts as a screen protector and makes it look like a closed shell. 101 cartoons depicting Moses with 2 tablets and a clever caption. Millions of threads on thousands of forums on how Tablet X is so much cheaper and more responsive than the Apple tablet. A new race of "Kindle Purists" will emerge. And by the time we see Moss playing with it in The IT Crowd season 4, Apple will have sold a gazillion apps and everybody will be distracted by the new cool thing.. OSX 10.7 "Thunder Cat"

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Genius, hoff. Genius.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:23 pm

nice.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm

I think it's also quite nice that this thing is rumored to not be released until March. Nothing more frustrating than when a company both announces and releases a new product that day and your bank account wasn't given any warning.