Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:38 pm

davepermen wrote:glad at least that now ANY page i'm frequent on has to post about the apple tablet in one form or another. that hype is so stupid.
Your contributions are a big part of the hype around here, Permy.
:wink:

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:46 pm

hoffman2k wrote:23 hours, 39 minutes more of this.

Then weeks of how much it rocks/sucks. Then come the revolutionary peripherals, like a keyboard that acts as a screen protector and makes it look like a closed shell. 101 cartoons depicting Moses with 2 tablets and a clever caption. Millions of threads on thousands of forums on how Tablet X is so much cheaper and more responsive than the Apple tablet. A new race of "Kindle Purists" will emerge. And by the time we see Moss playing with it in The IT Crowd season 4, Apple will have sold a gazillion apps and everybody will be distracted by the new cool thing.. OSX 10.7 "Thunder Cat"
LOL. So true - and all this will be discussed on the Ableton forum. Who needs engadget and gizmodo anymore....
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:51 pm

I am really excited about this stuff :P

What i want are machines, such as...

tb303
microtonic
korg electribes
machinedrums

all these things.... this is the closest we can get to hardware

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
davepermen wrote:glad at least that now ANY page i'm frequent on has to post about the apple tablet in one form or another. that hype is so stupid.
Your contributions are a big part of the hype around here, Permy.
:wink:
i don't post it around anywhere. i just reply. i bash the hype, but yeah, bad advertising is advertising, too... :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

booster69

Post by booster69 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm

From Macrumors:-
All reports have pointed to the use of the advanced Cortex A9 ARM processor in Apple's upcoming tablet. The use of this next generation processor should allow for good performance and relatively long battery life. It will also allow the tablet to run existing iPhone and iPod Touch apps unaltered -- a feature that has been rumored. The added horsepower could also allow for long rumored iPhone OS features such as multi-tasking. While some may be holding out hope for a Mac OS X based experience, there has been absolutely no evidence that the tablet will run anything related to Apple's desktop operating system, and the use of the ARM processor would eliminate the possibility of direct Mac application compatibility. It seems certain that the tablet will run an evolution of the iPhone operating system which has been designed for multi-touch interfaces.

The device, itself, has been pegged at around 10" in size according to multiple reports with an appearance very similar to the current iPhone. A front facing camera may also be included with the device which would open the door to video conferencing. Optional 3G wireless connectivity in addition to built-in Wi-Fi is expected, though through which carrier remains uncertain.

Apple has applied for trademarks for both iSlate and iPad. While it's possible Apple may have ultimately decided to go a different direction, the iPad application process remains ongoing with filings as recent as this month, making this seem to be the most likely candidate.

"It will also allow the tablet to run existing iPhone and iPod Touch apps unaltered" - If the guys at Macrumors are correct we should be able to run TouchOSC straight away!
Hopefully the guys at hexler are on the case with a new version to take advantage of the increased resolution. The interface elements could probably do with being a bit prettier as well, like the Lemur elements.

8)

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 pm

[quote="Mr Man"]I am really excited about this stuff :P

tb303
microtonic
korg electribes

FuCk yEaH :twisted:

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

yeah a full size 808 would be very cool, or a KAOSSILATOR style thing.. awesome..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:34 pm

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:35 pm

that'll be lovely full size
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:51 pm

One thing that I've experienced with TouchOSC is that the responsiveness is nowhere near that of a hard wired controller.... I don't know if this is due to the wi-fi connection, the TouchOSC app itself, or any other factor, but frequently when I move a slider with TouchOSC it takes half a second or so for it to register, after which its smooth, like its making some initial connection or something. It's not really acceptable in a live situation. Has anyone else experienced this or have anything to say? If the iPad doesn't have those issues it could be really exciting...

OR

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Damn.... nice... $9.00

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Mr Man wrote:I am really excited about this stuff :P

tb303
microtonic
korg electribes
machinedrums

wanna buy my 909? $1300 USD and it's yours.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:49 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Millions of threads on thousands of forums on how Tablet X is so much cheaper and more responsive than the Apple tablet. A new race of "Kindle Purists" will emerge. And by the time we see Moss playing with it in The IT Crowd season 4, Apple will have sold a gazillion apps and everybody will be distracted by the new cool thing.. OSX 10.7 "Thunder Cat"
Haha. Perhaps they leave out certain things in the 1st gen on purpose. The millions of complaining treads around the web creates massive media coverage. As the commercial business model says: All media coverage, good or bad, has high commercial value!

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Haha. Perhaps they leave out certain things in the 1st gen on purpose. The millions of complaining treads around the web creates massive media coverage. As the commercial business model says: All media coverage, good or bad, has high commercial value!
no, they would never do that. they would never have done that on the ipods and iphones with and without cameras, with and without video etc before :)

next gen lemur should be touch strengh sensitive (so the z-coordinate is variable for dry/wet on effect controls, would be awesome), and in different (big) sizes.

and one of the next apple ipad versions will have that, too.

great for soft keyboards, too.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Mr Man wrote:I am really excited about this stuff :P

tb303
microtonic
korg electribes
machinedrums

Hmm, actually the machinedrum might well be possible.

i'd be getting on that in a split second if i was able to.

It's totally digital, am sure that the processor is powerful enough.

Hmm, woudn't suprise of the Machine drum guys did that.

oooh, and a Virus. they already have it on powercore . ..

Wonder if the Itablet would run one of those?
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave