Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 pm

If I were a Lemur I'd be more concerend with hawks, eagles, and the nocturnal fossa!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:55 pm

If its a Lemur killer, it might be picking at Launchpad too. At least in regard to the Launchpads DAW mixer functions.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:30 pm

It's official. It's a Lemur killer. Woul;d be shocked if the company survices. I'd really, really like to hear what somebody at Jazz Mutant has to say about Apple releasing a device that does a ton more for 75% of the cost.

Jazz Mutant will need to sell that software to Apple or simply become App writers for Apple. If they sell the software app to users for $100 it will be the best move they ever make. Otherwise, dead in the water. Someone else will do it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:34 pm

ze2be wrote:If its a Lemur killer, it might be picking at Launchpad too. At least in regard to the Launchpads DAW mixer functions.
I don't think so.

try using an iFad without looking like you're checking e-mail. there's still something to be said about a tactile interface over smooth glass.

then there's the overheard of running another 'computer' in your setup. it's just one more thing to not initialize right. the Launch Pad can have that problem as well, but IMO the risk is lower.

again, touch tablets have been around for a while. now Apple puts one out and people think the whole concept is new and will change everything.

my $0.02.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:39 pm

I've never used a Lemur - but as I understand it the software allows users to place buttons/sliders/graphic elements on a series of pages, and assign functional outputs to those graphical elements.

If my understanding of the software is correct I would imagine that any iPhone developer could knock this up.
You think $100 is the price? That seems massively high to me. Look at the other apps out there, equally as complex as (my understanding of) the Lemur software.

For instance ... How much does Jasuto cost?
Image Image Image

it's arguably much more complex software and it costs £2.99, no idea what it is in dollars.

I think a Lemur-like iPad app will appear for about $14.99 / £9.99
Why would the Lemur people need to develop it? What do they have that everyone else lacks?
nothing as far as I can tell.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
ze2be wrote:If its a Lemur killer, it might be picking at Launchpad too. At least in regard to the Launchpads DAW mixer functions.
I don't think so.

try using an iFad without looking like you're checking e-mail. there's still something to be said about a tactile interface over smooth glass.

then there's the overheard of running another 'computer' in your setup. it's just one more thing to not initialize right. the Launch Pad can have that problem as well, but IMO the risk is lower.

again, touch tablets have been around for a while. now Apple puts one out and people think the whole concept is new and will change everything.

my $0.02.
It's clearly a Lemur killer. Someone the day this comes out will have an app that does everything the software version of the Lemur does.

As for the Launchpad, yeah, I'd have Novation will take a hit but the investment of $199 for a Launchpad (that has physical pads that people still like to hit) vs. the investment of a Lemur at $1,499-$1,999 is astronomical.

Your argument about touch screen tablets existing is invalid; nobody developed apps for those like they will for Apple and they were buggy as hell. The ipad will be used everywhere in music production and live performance in 2010.

Also, the difference of a Lemur or an Ipad controlling music on a macbook is not that different. They are both "computers" that lack physical buttons. Nobody I would hang out with would give a shit if someone isusing one or the other to control their software.

Just wait; the cases they will make for this thing will be out of this world. I'm envisoning hardwood sides, etc.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm thinking that running the video output from the iPad to the VJ could help demonstrate what the performer is doing.
Especially if the interface is vaguely interesting looking/funky informative.

This has been tried before with the tenori-on, or tilting an APC toward the crowd - but simply sending the responsive GUI to a projector is probably simpler.

I can't wait till the version #1 is phased-out and I can snap up a cheap used one as a dedicated controller. I have no real need of a camera, or 3g, or multi-tasking on my controller! My keyboard can't run Linux either.
Last edited by Angstrom on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Angstrom wrote:
I think a Lemur-like iPad app will appear for about $14.99 / £9.99
Why would the Lemur people need to develop it? What do they have that everyone else lacks?
nothing as far as I can tell.
Well, they have brand recognition to start with and a lot of major players have used and endorsed the Lemur. That means a lot. $100 was pure speculation based on the fact that that company doesn't appear to like to do things cost-effectively.

I'm sure there will be plenty of competition here. Apps will be priced at $4.99. It will be up to us as consumers to pick the one that works the best for us for the right price point; much like with any other "physical" gear we are interested in.

Crazy.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Brand recognition? Perhaps. Kinda like Rolls Royce.

Jazzmutant's probably sold like what, 20 of them or so. lol.

Funny because I'm a fan of the monome and what they've done.

But I've got nothing but the hate on for Jazzmutant and that fucking Lemur.

*shrug*

Can't explain it. Makes no sense to me. The monome is a boutique product to be sure, but the Lemur? Fucking Uber Ultra "I wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills' boutique.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:09 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Brand recognition? Perhaps. Kinda like Rolls Royce.

Jazzmutant's probably sold like what, 20 of them or so. lol.

Funny because I'm a fan of the monome and what they've done.

But I've got nothing but the hate on for Jazzmutant and that fucking Lemur.

I had boundless hate for the monome people and their sold out in 3 seconds $400 button box. But now that the APC40 and Launchpad came out I have less hate for them. Somewhat.

*shrug*

Can't explain it. Makes no sense to me. The monome is a boutique product to be sure, but the Lemur? Fucking Uber Ultra "I wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills' boutique.

:lol:

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 pm

I hope everything goes just swell for the ipad and all the apps that are made because of it, I just hope somebody gets the bright idea to port the apps to pc so that someone with a really powerful tablet pc like a lenovo or a tashiba can run all those cool apps.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:23 pm

For fucks sake, this nerd battle on what speculated idea that would be the most awesome/sensible but won't be implemented in the near future/ever heard or cared about by Sir Jobs is boring as hell.

Thread needs more t-pain and/or lil jon, as well as some pimp-cup brandishing mixed with pitch correction.

I mean, cperezzzz is a douche, but man, I'd take a front page of topics from 2004 over this wankery any day of the week.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm

Oooh, somebody has her knickers in a twist!

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Angstrom wrote:Oooh, somebody has her knickers in a twist!
Who, your wife? Sounds like ChiDJ is picking her up from the airport later, problem should be all worked by the time she gets home

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 pm

ok now this is what I'm talkin about, it's time for a battle, john doe vs. Angstrom no hitting below the belt, just beat against beat!!!

I should for-warn you John Doe that in some circles Angstrom is reffered to as 'the Lazarus Man because his musical skill and talents have been known to bring zombies back to life.

and Angstrom I should warn you that John Doe's full name is John Doe by Choice which means in the words of a great wiseman he's 'insane in the membrane' and you can never know what to expect from crazy people one minute you've gott'em down ready to tap out and the next thing you know you get bit in the leg, this is very dangerous very very dangerous make sure you wear shin guards..........

ok gentleman we're gonna keep this clean.........or dirty but not clean and dirty cause thats against the rules.
now shake hands, go back to your corner studios, and come out dancin
:mrgreen: