Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
davepermen

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Post by davepermen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:28 am

hoffman2k wrote:
davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.

the lemur can handle more than two fingers with ease. something i don't expect from the iCraplet (but it sure would be nice).

if it doesn't have that, it has a big - to the lemur.

i just got a lemur and it's so worth the money, even if cheaper alternatives may exist. it's just much fun, and simple plugin-and-use like.

i somehow now have the joke in my head about the iphone which stops playing music when you get a call (big ads in tv about that). i hope your gig doesn't stop when you get a call :)

no, but seriously, i'm all for some other lemur-like solutions. but lemur delivers :)
The Apple Trackpad can track up to 11 fingers at a very smooth resolution. Thanks to Fingerworks which Apple bought. I don't believe they'll actually go backward in technical capabilities.
I also believe that this unit will have a remote desktop application, which definitely needs to track 4 fingers for all the expose stuff.
trackpad surface touch recognition is a bit different to iphone like touch recognition (there's a screen there in the way :)).

but yeah, we'll see. if it's a blown-up iphone, it will have two fingers. if it's a touchpad with screen in, it will have more.

then again, we still wait for an ACTUAL STATEMENT FROM APPLE THAT THEY BUILD ONE :)

hype, unbelievable hype :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 am

davepermen wrote:hehe :)

imagine if the crowd has your phone number. you would be soooo busted :)
Imagine the possibilities for interacting with the crowd and making their drunken phone-calls part of the show...

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 am

8O wrote:
davepermen wrote:hehe :)

imagine if the crowd has your phone number. you would be soooo busted :)
Imagine the possibilities for interacting with the crowd and making their drunken phone-calls part of the show...
only with video calls, duude.

oh wait, there's no app for that, yet.. :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:12 am

Ask yourself honestly....does John Gordon look like he washes windows Image

well does he punk?......ugh you guys disgust me..... well go on then wash my windows and wash them good!

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 am

Of course the biggest difference between a Tablet Computer and a Lemur is that the Lemur isn't a standalone system. So yes, I predict the Apple Tablet will be the Lemur killer. I mean, 1000 bucks for a computer or 1500 bucks for a controller.... If it will be 1000.

booster69

Post by booster69 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:21 pm

davepermen wrote: if it's a blown-up iphone, it will have two fingers.
I have quite slim fingers and can safely say TouchOSC recognizes more than 2 touches simultaneously.
I was adjusting 3 sliders with 3 fingers just last night. :-)

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:29 pm

The whole thing with the Lemur was this feeling like "Wow, that's available already?!" It's a really cool piece of equipment and I'm sure many people will keep on using them. But, the whole time they've been around it's just been a waiting game as to when they will become obsolete. They've had a pretty good run if you ask me. And who knows... the Lemur may be the superior choice for many years to come. As always, we'll wait and see.

This whole Tablet thing troubles me. I have that skateboard game for my iPhone, it's one of the only games I've purchased, but I've wasted so much valuable time on it. I'm sure it's going to be available on the Tablet (if it does in fact exist). It's just a big time waster, and I'm sure there will be more cool games like that which will be better on the larger tablet screen. DO NOT WANT.

I just want a simple old quad core MacBook Pro so I can concentrate on music making. Throw us a bone, Apple! HOO LA LA LA!!!

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm

booster69 wrote:
I have quite slim fingers and can safely say TouchOSC recognizes more than 2 touches simultaneously.
It can do 4 or 5 i think
Drums

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:33 pm

Loopstationzebra [color=#BF00FF]+ MonstreJumo[/color] wrote:as long as there's some douchebag on stage with a Macbook and a shiny touch controller you idiots will cum in your short shorts.
:lol:

edit: (I'm part of this idiot crew)
Last edited by supamonsta on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:
booster69 wrote:
It can do 4 or 5 i think
As hoffman2k mentioned, the Apple touchscreen can track a whole lot more, but most apps on the iPhone limit themselves to 4 or 5 just cos of the small size of the screen.

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Before you write the Lemur off, they are currently in development of some M4L tools specific to the Lemur. I think this will really highlight why the Lemur is at the top of the game currently.

A jack of all trades is a mater of none.
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Lemur.

meh.

Another overpriced piece of kit that offers douchebags the illusion they are creating something wonderful. Kinda like Mac users in general.

Of which I am one, sadly.

:|
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:54 pm

Mehalic wrote:Before you write the Lemur off, they are currently in development of some M4L tools specific to the Lemur. I think this will really highlight why the Lemur is at the top of the game currently.

TouchOSC on tablet (or whatever is launched tomorrow) + OSCulator gives you a configurable multitouch bidirectional interface that can send/receive whatever you want into M4L/Live. TouchOSC + OSCulator = about $30.

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:05 pm

8O wrote:
Mehalic wrote:Before you write the Lemur off, they are currently in development of some M4L tools specific to the Lemur. I think this will really highlight why the Lemur is at the top of the game currently.

TouchOSC on tablet (or whatever is launched tomorrow) + OSCulator gives you a configurable multitouch bidirectional interface that can send/receive whatever you want into M4L/Live. TouchOSC + OSCulator = about $30.
Like I said, jack of all trades master of none. I'm not discounting the perceived value of this tablet, I'm just saying that something built to be a controller will fair a bit better than something that is built as a catch all. Case in point, the iPhone. Great multimedia device (where apple came from), not a very good phone (and not to bring up another argument, but just look at the app that was created to track dropped calls).

Anyways, this is a matter of personal taste and perspective, so it's kind of pointless to argue. If it works for you, great. If a Lemur works for someone else and they can afford it, great.

Bottom line is does it help you make/play music the way you want to.

I think it's a matter of people who can't afford the lemur trying to tear it down, and people who can afford the lemur trying to justify the cost. Human nature and a cycle on this forum :D

Anyways, I'm interested to see what this tablet has to offer. But I'm not that ready to discount the Lemur that easily....
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Mehalic wrote:
8O wrote:

Like I said, jack of all trades master of none. I'm not discounting the perceived value of this tablet, I'm just saying that something built to be a controller will fair a bit better than something that is built as a catch all. Case in point, the iPhone. Great multimedia device (where apple came from), not a very good phone (and not to bring up another argument, but just look at the app that was created to track dropped calls).

Anyways, this is a matter of personal taste and perspective, so it's kind of pointless to argue. If it works for you, great. If a Lemur works for someone else and they can afford it, great.

Bottom line is does it help you make/play music the way you want to.

I think it's a matter of people who can't afford the lemur trying to tear it down, and people who can afford the lemur trying to justify the cost. Human nature and a cycle on this forum :D

Anyways, I'm interested to see what this tablet has to offer. But I'm not that ready to discount the Lemur that easily....
Ok, let's pick up the discussion again when this Apple device is finally out, and has a price tag. I'd be really interested in whether the Lemur can still offer anything different...