Page 6 of 9

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:25 pm
by starving student
:oops: i forgot to mention the winner of this beat battle will receive my new icrotch app for the ipad/itouch/and iphone totally free
with this app you don't have to embarrass yourself when scratchin your crotch in public, you can just pull out your ipad and run the icrotch app and scratch right on the ipad screen :P ........

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:58 pm
by oblique strategies
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/29/exc ... -platform/

"Several forum readers have expressed excitement that music tools akin to the Jazz Mutant Lemur will be possible. In fact, any of the impressive large screen multi-touch videos that we've seen over the past few years could be possible in some form on the iPad: Missile command, Jeff Han, TouchGrind, Warcraft III, MIDI controller."
:)

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm
by the_voder
8O wrote:
bigbadotis wrote:There is no velocity sensitivity on the iPhone... I'm assuming they're just using the some type of algorithm based on the surface area of your finger changing or something like that.

But if the algorithm works well... who cares?
The "velocity sensitive" stuff I've seen uses the microphone to pick up the noise of your finger hitting the screen - very roughly, the louder the noise, the higher the mapped velocity.
There's another way of doing velocity-sensitivity (or faking it, technically). I'm not going to give away any secrets though ;)

a|x

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:01 pm
by the_voder
davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.
The iPhone and iPod Touch can handle at least 5 fingers. Have a look at OSCemote and try the Multitouch panel if you don't believe me. I'd have thought the iPad might be able to handle more- you can't really physically get more than 5 fingers on on iPhone, iPod Touch screen, but the iPad might support more simultaneous touches, since it has a larger screen.

a|x

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:06 pm
by Eraldo Bernocchi
I use Touch OSC since it was launched. It's 100% multitouch. I can use up to 5 fingers on it + the accelerometer.
More than enough for a small platform like iPod touch/iPhone.
Imagine what that app could do on an iPad. It just a matter a building your own template.

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:54 pm
by delicioso
davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.
Please don't spread false rumors about something you know nothing about. You've obviously never used an iphone/ipod touch.

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:56 pm
by dum
delicioso wrote:
davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.
Please don't spread false rumors about something you know nothing about. You've obviously never used an iphone/ipod touch.
+1

btw delicioso, how often have you used a Lemur ?

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm
by dum
LoopStationZebra wrote:The monome is a boutique product to be sure, but the Lemur? Fucking Uber Ultra "I wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills' boutique.

:lol:
Uber ultra fail.

if you were lucky enough to get one from monome direct a 256 is $1,400 and the lemur comes in at $2k. But in the used market, the lemurs come DOWN in price to $1,400 and the 256 goes UP. Not to mention the serious 20%-ish customs fisting international buyers get when buying a monome.

All things considered, it certainly ain't the lemur that's "Uber Ultra 'I wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills' boutique."


Anyway the whole ipad v lemur thing is completely asinine. no doubt the itouch and ultimately ipad are fun to use, but anyone who's actually used a lemur will tell you it's built like a tank with one purpose in mind - performance. for the hobbyist, sure, the ipad is much more attractive. Jazzmutant are alot like Kenton in that the build quality is at least half the reason for using it.

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 pm
by zalo
Angstrom wrote:Look at the other apps out there, equally as complex as (my understanding of) the Lemur software.
i dont think you fully understand the lemur software, i havent seen an app out there that has the physics and scripting abilities that the lemur software has.

for example, this lemur template only sends out midi notes, all of the scripting and controls are done internally

http://rick-hawkins.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... encer.html

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 pm
by Mehalic
dum wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:The monome is a boutique product to be sure, but the Lemur? Fucking Uber Ultra "I wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills' boutique.

:lol:
Uber ultra fail.

if you were lucky enough to get one from monome direct a 256 is $1,400 and the lemur comes in at $2k. But in the used market, the lemurs come DOWN in price to $1,400 and the 256 goes UP. Not to mention the serious 20%-ish customs fisting international buyers get when buying a monome.

All things considered, it certainly ain't the lemur that's "Uber Ultra 'I wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills' boutique."


Anyway the whole ipad v lemur thing is completely asinine. no doubt the itouch and ultimately ipad are fun to use, but anyone who's actually used a lemur will tell you it's built like a tank with one purpose in mind - performance. for the hobbyist, sure, the ipad is much more attractive. Jazzmutant are alot like Kenton in that the build quality is at least half the reason for using it.
Most sane thing I've read this entire thread.

What's with the Lemur haters out there?!?! I'm amazed.

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 pm
by RajahP
^^^
I think there is more hate for the IPad.. But I think I can understand. $2k. is a lot of money.
Somehow we seem to forget it's about the music, not the 'built quality, yedda yedda' to justify $2k....
Now back to the MUSIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYBoio2nZq0

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:16 pm
by dum
'build quality yedda yedda' ?
lol & wow.

ASININE.

you can program epic music on a piece of shit computer and no one is arguing against that, but if you want to *perform* you're going to be more demanding with regards hardware spec and build quality of the tools you use.

Asinine analogy time: I don't go camping at festivals in a 4-season, high-end, professional mountaineering tent but if I was climbing a mountain I would, and knowing all I need out of a tent is a dry place at a mucky festival I don't go around the internet complaining about the price of pro gear made specifically for active mountaineers.

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 pm
by 8O
dum wrote:'build quality yedda yedda' ?
lol & wow.

ASININE.

you can program epic music on a piece of shit computer and no one is arguing against that, but if you want to *perform* you're going to be more demanding with regards hardware spec and build quality of the tools you use.

Asinine analogy time: I don't go camping at festivals in a 4-season, high-end, professional mountaineering tent but if I was climbing a mountain I would, and knowing all I need out of a tent is a dry place at a mucky festival I don't go around the internet complaining about the price of pro gear made specifically for active mountaineers.
I think that's analogy too far. For most people the build quality is going to be fine - it's gonna be better than a Behringer unit which some performers use on stage next to their Lemurs.

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 pm
by Tone Deft
why the hate? 'cause that's what guys do when they sit around talking about their hobbies. the more expensive and 'out there' the gear is the crazier the feelings are going to get.

for the price of a Lemur I'd buy another guitar or a Rhodes or a midi drum kit.

but if I watched a Lemur owner using one I might understand why it's a good fit for him but not me. we discuss good and bad gear but we don't get to see how it's all being used. for some it makes sense, for others it doesn't.

a friend brought a Lemur into my home studio, I held it, felt it, looked it over then he showed me his Martin guitar. the Lemur was never even turned on, we just played acoustics until 4am.

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:33 pm
by dum
80
sure, it's going to be fine for alot of people. You're missing the point of my post though.


before I check your link, I'm gonna guess it's daft punk picture of their setup - right ?
the iPad, like the bcr2000, will be up to certain performance tasks, like clip launching - no doubt about that. But it will be just as disposable and replaceable as the bcr2000. because you'd have to be living in fairyland to think a frequently gigging musician who uses a bcr2000 doesn't have to replace them from time to time. Not so for Kenton controllers, which are also more 'performable' imo btw... much better action on those dials for creative sweeps and such.