Jaguar/Live1.5.2/Motu828 and External FireWire HD

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jazze

Jaguar/Live1.5.2/Motu828 and External FireWire HD

Post by jazze » Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:18 am

Just installed Jaguar OSX10.2 today it recognized see my Tascam 428 and Motu828.. nice.

Could play my usual live set that i normally use in OS9.2.2 trough Motu828 for a few minutes with no problem BUT found that my external FireWire HD shurely spins down after sertain period of time.... never happened in OS9.... why in Jaguar... it causes sound distortion or dropouts . I had the same hardDisk spindowns in OS 10.1.4 before aswell.
The energy saver is set to never sleep for everything.
When i try to play the same set off my iMacG4 internal HD there is no problem but the internal HD is much slower.
Is there a way to control external FireWire Hard Disks power menagement in OS X or a third party utility .... or is it a bug in OSX in general?

I play most of my tracks from an external fireWire 80GB HD (Oxford technology Ice Cube 3.5 HDD) 72RPM witch is fast an i am used to use it onstage with my PowerBook G3.

Eny ideas?

IZNODJ

Post by IZNODJ » Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:53 pm

hey man,
don't have an answer for you but I have a question: I gather that you have to use a hub of some kind for the firewire hard-drive and the Motu... Does it work fine, can you record and play back with no problem? If so could you tell me what hub you're using?

thanx

lowbot

Post by lowbot » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:22 pm

jazze,

There's a setting in system preferences under 'energy saver', then 'custom', then 'options'... uncheck 'put hard disk to sleep when possible'...

It works with my firewire disk...

-lowbot

jazze

Post by jazze » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:48 am

I am not using eny FireWire Hub as my PowerBook G3500Mhz(Pismo) got two fore wire ports. So i am sorry can't help with the HUB question.

I did try to disable hard disk sleep mode in the preferences in Jaguar, but as i realized from other trhead on Apple Discussions : Power Management in OS X applies only to boot drives. So installed Jaguar on my FireWire Disk and the spinning down problem dissapeared, so now back to Live -Jaguar-Motu828 Tests... Will report more.
check the Apple Discussions thread on Jaguar-FireWire disks problems:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX? ... @.3bb98848