Toraverb vs. Eos reverb

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swett

Toraverb vs. Eos reverb

Post by swett » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm looking for a new Reverb plugin (Live just sounds crappier and crappier), and as you can probably tell, I'm going for something affordable.
Anyone played with either of these?

Paz.

Khazul

Re: Toraverb vs. Eos reverb

Post by Khazul » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:28 pm

They are both quite different - EOS is probably a better general use reverb, toraverb is an excellent sound design/special fx reverb.

Best to try them both out - they can have very different uses.
Nothing to see here - move along!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm

have you checked out the RP-Verb by Rob Papen?

IMO, it's really good!

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 pm

tough call, they're both pretty good. I'd skip em both and get redline reverb

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 am

Toraverb. Totally amazing for sound design with amazing control you will not find on any other reverb - however, it's not designed to be an accurate acoustic space simulator. It works best on ambiences and synths though, or as part of a layered reverb.

I prefer ADVerb over Eos by Audio Damage. ADVerb is a plate reverb but is more convincing than EOS, all subjective IMHO.

Redline Reverb is very good for it's money.

Did you get the TC M30 (Hall section) freebie that was kicking around recently. If you missed out that's tough, that was good.

Everyone should have a convolution reverb in their collection though - if you have loads of money get Altiverb. Otherwise SIR2, Voxengo's Pristine Space, etc. One of the main reasons I mix a lot in Cubase 5 is because it has a good native Convolution reverb (ditto Logic, Sonar, etc) and the Bricasti M7 Impulses rock with it.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 am

Reverberate is a great IR reverb... and only $50:

http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_reverberate.htm
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

swett

Post by swett » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:07 am

leedsquietman wrote:
I prefer ADVerb over Eos by Audio Damage. ADVerb is a plate reverb but is more convincing than EOS, all subjective IMHO.

Yes, I've been eyeing this one two. I like Audio Damage plugins; I like their sound and their price.
All very interesting info, thanks.

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:50 am

I use Audio damage plugins:
at 24bit 96Khz eos sounds really great for 'long tail' style reverbs
Adverb is great on shorter plates and easier to insert quickly due to its simple nature.
IMHO buy them both!

I tried toroverb and it seems like torture. It has about fuckin 900 parameters to it. why oh why?

Eos is all over Score 3 in my signature, standing out most on the piano to the left at the start.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:15 am

Nicknackerski wrote:I tried toroverb and it seems like torture. It has about fuckin 900 parameters to it. why oh why?
8O
Toraverb seems quite straight forward - maybe you just need to read of on typical reverb parameters and it will make sense?

You wouldnt like Aether then - now that does have a hell of alot of paramters! :)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 am

Toraverb has a lot of parameters, which more experienced users find a great thing from a sound design point of view.

However, Toraverb also has a whole bunch of excellent presets, flick through them, choose one you like and just modify it slightly to suit.

Computer Music just gave it 10/10. Now admittedly, CM is not my most favourite mag, or the most trusted or respected because they give everything 8 or 9/10 as a routine. But it's RARE for them to give 10/10. (even though I own Toraverb I wouldn't rate it 10/10 but it is a really great sound design reverb).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13 am

BTW - If you go for EOS or ADVerb - definately have a look at ADs dubstation as well - stick a dubstation before an EOS on a send and loads of characterful dubby goodness - kick pump it to death for that tarnce sound :)

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Khazul wrote: maybe you just need to read of on typical reverb parameters and it will make sense?
:lol: :twisted:

Toraverb wrote: When creating Toraverb, we did not base it on any current reverb unit available in the market. We did not implement any “off-the-shelf” algorithm. Toraverb is not a classic type reverb unit like spring, room, hall or plate. Toraverb is a concept algorithm reverb. Using a set of easily accessible parameters, it allows the user to create practically ANY type of reverb.

Our goal was to create a reverb which would sound pleasant to the listener and the output could be tweaked in many different ways by the user.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Anyone have any tips on how to get an EOS Super Hall sound out of Ableton's stock reverb? Or maybe a M4L effect? I know it won't be exact, just trying to get as close as I can "out of the box."

Thanks for the ideas!
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear