You think Live's reverb on eco is efficient? Try this...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stutter

Re: You think Live's reverb on eco is efficient? Try this...

Post by stutter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Reverberate as endorsed by several on this forum is about 50 bucks and works great on PC.
in fact there's a free/donationware version, Reverberate LE. It lacks the modulation of the full version, and perhaps is cut down in some other way, but I'm quite happy to add a little mod to my reverb with other fx. Racking a couple of Reverberates and panning and alternately effecting can produce a more varied sound too.
As for the donation - I think it bugs you once in 30 uses, the donation is not to the dev, but to cancer research. Can't go wrong really.

bit off topic, but I've never really understood why people complain about Live's reverb, or other effects, when there are so many excellent, free alternatives, which really aren't so hard to find. I thought the same when Live had the spectogram added (lovely as it is) when I'd been using Voxengo Span for a couple of years already

Do check out Vieris's impulse sets in my last posy, lots of classic machines sampled for your ambient pleasure.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:24 pm

stutter wrote:when there are so many excellent, free alternatives, which really aren't so hard to find.
+1 there is some serious free stuff around, TAL and Voxengo, etc.

www.dontcrack.com is well worth checking out every now and then... loads of crap and really bad sounding stuff around as well, of course... but there are always some real goodies to be filtered out.
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:28 pm

stutter wrote:bit off topic, but I've never really understood why people complain about Live's reverb, or other effects, when there are so many excellent, free alternatives, which really aren't so hard to find.
Live is my only DAW but AFAIK when it comes to the quantity and quality of included plug ins, Live lacks when compared to most DAWs.

I never feel like spending time downloading plug ins, evaluating them and then using them. I've done that in the past and all I ended up with was a folder full of plug ins that I forget which is what.

if they're going to give out something, they should make it as good as they can. I'm no producer but Live's reverb just doesn't sound natural. it's OK until I've tried other reverbs people suggest, then it pales in comparison.

my $0.02.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stutter

Post by stutter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:44 pm

fair play Tone. I like the integration and design (and colours) of Live's effects, so I can see the appeal of seeing them designing new ones that fill the gaps; but I'd rather development time be spent on things I cannot find a free replacement for (all the classic feature requests). Steinberg are terrible for this (but not just this).

The two free reverbs that I'd recommend for anyone reading this thread with their curiousity piqued:
Reverberate LE for impulses/convolution
Bootsie Epicverb for design your own space fun

Ariesverb used to be free, and pretty weird. Not sure about that anymore. Very low cpu, as someone here pointed out recently. This thread in fact. Hungover and sleep deprived, I'm not too sharp this evening.

Agree about having too many vsts. Bugs me that in Ableton the browser divides Ableton's effects from external ones too.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:52 pm

stutter wrote:I'd rather development time be spent on things I cannot find a free replacement for (all the classic feature requests).
totally agreed. I think the 8.1 'Quality' announcement sheds light on a product that might have been developed too quickly. Ableton clearly needs to polish the basics of the software before going off on enhancements.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I think the 8.1 'Quality' announcement sheds light on a product that might have been developed too quickly. Ableton clearly needs to polish the basics of the software before going off on enhancements.
amen to that!
*** Image GAFM ***

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:15 pm

As much as I see your point Tone, wanting to just use Ableton effects and not waste time searching for third party ones (and it does waste time), I too would much rather ableton focus on the core functionality rather than devices. For one thing I prefer third party devices anyways because of things like automap and being able to load in Kore. (I actually bought the audiomidi ultra analog even though I already have analog out of preference for VSTs). And also there times when third party stuff is actually more cpu efficient. Ariesverb is an extreme case of that. It uses nothing and it a very interesting reverb. Ableton reverb racks use ten time more cpu to get similar complexity of sound.

Anyways, give us the ability to record clip envelopes and draw automation curves before doing another reverb I say!
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm

GRB - agreed.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:25 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:As much as I see your point Tone, wanting to just use Ableton effects and not waste time searching for third party ones (and it does waste time), I too would much rather ableton focus on the core functionality rather than devices. For one thing I prefer third party devices anyways because of things like automap and being able to load in Kore. (I actually bought the audiomidi ultra analog even though I already have analog out of preference for VSTs). And also there times when third party stuff is actually more cpu efficient. Ariesverb is an extreme case of that. It uses nothing and it a very interesting reverb. Ableton reverb racks use ten time more cpu to get similar complexity of sound.

Anyways, give us the ability to record clip envelopes and draw automation curves before doing another reverb I say!
I agree with this as far as any other device is concerned, especially since M4L, but Reverb really is a bread and butter device - it's one of the main types of effect, so I think they do need to update it.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 pm

alex.the.forge wrote: ... but Reverb really is a bread and butter device - it's one of the main types of effect, so I think they do need to update it.
yes, since Reverb was created EQ3 was joined by EQ4, which became EQ8, and got oversampled too. Compressor 1 was joined by compressor 2 , then borh were united into one device, and joined by a multiband dynamics processor.
So, compared to its siblings the Reverb has really lagged behind.

for a replacement I'd prefer a flexible space designing device rather than an impulse based solution which relies on a large library for flexibility. They might as well aim for a unique solution, rather than compete directly with what's already out there.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Angstrom wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote: ... but Reverb really is a bread and butter device - it's one of the main types of effect, so I think they do need to update it.
yes, since Reverb was created EQ3 was joined by EQ4, which became EQ8, and got oversampled too. Compressor 1 was joined by compressor 2 , then borh were united into one device, and joined by a multiband dynamics processor.
So, compared to its siblings the Reverb has really lagged behind.

for a replacement I'd prefer a flexible space designing device rather than an impulse based solution which relies on a large library for flexibility. They might as well aim for a unique solution, rather than compete directly with what's already out there.
I think they do need to provide an in house convolution reverb though, it's pretty much standard these days

In typical Ableton style maybe they could call it "convoluted" ;-)

Seriously though, maybe they could do what they do with sidechaining and have a section that opens up for impulses

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 pm

alex.the.forge wrote: I think they do need to provide an in house convolution reverb though, it's pretty much standard these days

In typical Ableton style maybe they could call it "convoluted" ;-)
Mark my words, they'd call it "Space".
Professional Shark Jumper.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 pm

nah, they don't do that.

the compressor is called "compressor"
the limiter is called "limiter"
the flanger is called "flanger"
The analog synth is called Analog
the Vocoder is called vocoder
etc etc

A new reverb would be called "Reverb"
or if they are feeling wildly exuberant "Reverb 2"

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:58 pm

@leedsquietman

Any particular convolution reverb you like the sound of? I'm thinking of trying the SIR2. http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir2downloads.html

[edit] Doh! Was so excited about the idea that I didn't see there were 4 pages of posts already. Sorry.
Last edited by TroyP on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 am

leedsquietman wrote:Get a convolution reverb...

Then get the Bricasti M7 reverb unit impulses...

SORTED !...
Thank you! Once again, you've posted something that helped me out a lot.