The Mackie C4 Pro Ableton users thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sissySpacecraft

Re: The Mackie C4 Pro Ableton users thread

Post by sissySpacecraft » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:22 am

LOL, great job! - welcome to programming. :) I spent the last couple of weeks (in spare time) going through the decompiled code and refactoring so I could understand what the code is actually doing/trying to do. You'll likely be glad to know I saw the "crazy logging" error (fill up the log over 25 MB in less than a minute) too... I hit the "crazy logging" after I fixed that same other error by adding that same import.

I kind of understand what the code is doing now, but "button presses" on the device still do not seem to be reaching the C4-script code. Communication from Live to the device seems to be working normally, and knob turns (CC messages) are reaching Live from the C4, but button presses (Note ON messages) are not. There is a huge difference between "hand written" code and "decompiled" code, but I think I've been fairly successful refactoring the decompiler's code back to a more "hand written" form. (For example, there are at least four "constants" defined that represent the number 8. How is a decompiler going to know which constant "label" goes with which 8 in the code? It can't. But a human, reading carefully and understanding sometimes multiple contexts, can determine whether a certain instance of the number 8 means, for example, the number of encoders in a row, the first encoder on the second row, the button on the first encoder on the second row, the Shift button, the number of parameters in a bank, or something else, like a snowman.)

Next I plan to get some debugging "log statements" into the code that will appear in Live's log so I can hopefully make a little progress figuring out why the stuff that isn't working yet isn't working, and fix it. Once I have the script "repaired" and working in Live 10, I'll give you copies of the files before I start making "my own" changes. I don't know how possible my goal is, but I want to try making a script that kind of clones the "run" mode in the original C4 Commander software, except, of course, that the script works in and with Live. For example, I would like the C4 (remote script) to be able to use/reference the .c4i (instrument definition) and .c4l (Device Layout) xml files that C4 Commander uses/references/creates. It would be sweet if I can create layouts in Commander that the C4 (remote script) can understand (along with the related instrument definitions) and pass to (or through) Live as midi messages or whatever.

BTW - This error: "upper_string1 += self.__generate_6_char_string(unicode(self.__display_parameters[t][1])) list index out of range" means the list represented by self.__display_parameters[t] does not contain anything (text) at index 1. When the script is initializing properly, there will be text at that index 1, but before I knew that fact, I added code to ensure the unicode() method always gets text (that it doesn't matter how many indexes are "in range" for self.__display_parameters[t]).

Like this: (except with proper indentation)

text_for_display = self.__display_parameters[t]
u_alt_text = 'zzz'
l_alt_text = 'xxx'
if len(text_for_display) > 1:
u_alt_text = text_for_display[1]
l_alt_text = text_for_display[0]
elif len(text_for_display) > 0:
l_alt_text = text_for_display[0]

You can add this code inside the two for loops (above the if/elif conditionals, above line 621 in the top loop, below 621 of course in the other loop) in that on_update_display_timer() method and it should stop the Live log from filling up with those errors. [ you also need to replace self.__generate_6_char_string(unicode(self.__display_parameters[t][1])) with self.__generate_6_char_string(unicode(u_alt_text)) or l_alt_text as appropriate, starting at line 621 ] The reason the log fills up so fast repeating that error message is because on_update_display_timer() is a bad place for an error because on_update_display_timer() is "called" so often, every time Live "refreshes the C4 display" which could easily be more than a dozen times per second.

randi

Post by randi » Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 pm

I was researching why Live, in the latest beta, is messing up the MCU pro and XT that I have, and was comparing old and new remote script files, while I stumbled on another online decompiler, which worked WAY better. So I ran Leigh's compiled scripts thru that again, and the old problems weren't even there anymore (e.g. "for display only" was already properly there), but there are other changes as well (besides indentation). One is the inclusion of "Time" in the beginning of the script.
Unfortunately I am still stuck at the "list index out of range" error. so not that much of progress
However, they might be of interest for you? I uploaded them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1amCmF ... e3_bJzDzfN
Did you make any progress?
Best regards!
Markus

sissySpacecraft

Post by sissySpacecraft » Sat May 09, 2020 2:15 am

Yes "list index out of bounds" is not resolved by that code I shared, IIRC the code I showed just kicks the can down the road, it doesn't solve the issue. I'll definitely check out the freshly decompiled script and compare against both the originally decompiled and my fixed scripts. But maybe not for a few weeks. I've been in more of a music making mood than a music tool making mood lately...

Puso

Post by Puso » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:32 am

Hi guys! Did you get anywhere with this? :P
Just got a C4 for "free" as I bought an MCU, knowing that it is not really working with ableton. But if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be very happy. :)

randi

Post by randi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:00 pm

https://github.com/markusschloesser/MackieC4_P3
Work in progress of the Midi remote script for the Mackie C4 for Live 11 in Python 3. Collaborators are absolutely welcome! :-)
(read the fine print! Can crash your Live version if not careful)

randi

Post by randi » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:31 pm

for anyone still watching this old thread: sissySpacecraft and myself have a fully working remote control script for the C4.
We've been using it for over 1,5 years successfully with LOTS of added functionality.
Check out the github link one post above with pics, a manual and downloads.