I'm seeing something slightly different that doesn't require VNC or wireless operation:
1) Download a special version of Ableton Live for iPad
2) Connect iPad to laptop via USB port.
3) Open Live on the laptop, select "Ableton Live for iPad" as a Control Surface. This automatically opens the iPad app and the arrangement view pops up on your iPad by default with the Device Browser on your laptop.
4) Whatever screen is on the iPad is fully controlled by touch. Launch clips just like a Launchpad, or control instruments just like a ReMOTE.
5) Configure the screens between iPad and laptop any way you want--any or all windows can be viewed from iPad.
6) Basically the iPad functions as both a second screen and a touch controller, depending on how you set it up.
7) The iPad doesn't process audio, so no latency issues to worry about. It's running on USB power so no wireless or battery issues.
Now I would be all over that.
Nice description Martin. Even just having a simple split between the Session view on the iPad and Arrangement view on the Laptop would be great.
Yes, this is basically what I'm after too, but only wirelessly. If the information is not graphical information, then it's not a problem over WIFI either and even the latency won't be a problem when transferring data.
I only suggested VLC-kind of approach so that it would be easier starting point to implement (video streaming) instead of creating a completely new app/GUI for the iPad - if the GUI isn't created by Ableton, I don't think it's an easy job for a 3rd party. Streaming would be an easies solution for any 3rd party developer.
But yes! However its done, please someone do this (working both via USB and WIFI).
Also, slightly OT, I think Jazzmutant might launch their version of Lemur for iPad too... they must know that if they won't do it, someone else will do it much cheaper and then it's too late for them.