So start funelling people - give them the info

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
crumhorn

Re: So start funelling people - give them the info

Post by crumhorn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:52 pm

3phase wrote: why you dont call yourself goebels2k?

Is this sufficient to trigger Godwin's Law?
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi folks,

As I mentioned in another post, please don't blame other users for reporting their bugs. Ableton wants this information - until we can reproduce a bug, we have no way to fix it.

Regardless of whether Ableton is a big or small company, our users have the right to stable software, and have the right to be annoyed if it's not stable.

But please help us by providing concise, proper bug reports that include information about your hardware, steps necessary to reproduce the bug scenario, etc.

Thanks,

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:38 pm

yeah!..lets start putting people in a funnel, then we will flush em down a toilet!
oh yeah!
stab stab stab stab!
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

As I mentioned in another post, please don't blame other users for reporting their bugs. Ableton wants this information - until we can reproduce a bug, we have no way to fix it.

Regardless of whether Ableton is a big or small company, our users have the right to stable software, and have the right to be annoyed if it's not stable.

But please help us by providing concise, proper bug reports that include information about your hardware, steps necessary to reproduce the bug scenario, etc.

Thanks,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:20 pm

you guys LOLZ me.

3phase - you should set up a PA in front of Ableton HQ and play a constantly crashing gig. that's a very interesting offer to take your rig into Ableton for some one on one.

is a whine free forum even possible?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you guys LOLZ me.

3phase - you should set up a PA in front of Ableton HQ and play a constantly crashing gig. that's a very interesting offer to take your rig into Ableton for some one on one.

is a whine free forum even possible?
CAN'T YOU READ!!! Suck comment iz very shelfish of you 2 make, hiz setup is cannot be known be ne1, and shudent b hiz prablem n-e-waiz, since company solds him softwairz which spose 2 b 1000 purcent relible in front 1000's of peeple!!!!11!!!1!1!1!!

Sorry, couldn't resist, his posts are unbearably whiny/unreadable. Me, I'm still on 7, haven't had a crash in I don't know how long, and I couldn't be happier.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:21 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Thanks,

I completely agree that we should be hammering Ableton HQ with all the well written bug reports we can- we all want this software to be rock solid (I've had a few problems in v.8, not tons personally).

But the victimized whining can stop.

Don't make me post the purple fuzzy monsters again.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:04 pm

:D
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:31 pm

To Ableton:
Who should be using beta versions and is there any drawback to using beta version. I'm a little confused about occasional statements certain versions may not allow to go backwards because of changes but may be unstable. The reason I ask is that in some bug reports Ableton asks if the user has the latest version of Live and does the latest version refer to non-beta. Also on some occasions Live has locked up and is that considered a crash. When Live locks up I usually reboot the computer and will I still have an accurate crash log to submit.

Thanks

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

so we are not flushing people down toilets now?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:13 pm

chaibuka wrote:To Ableton:
Who should be using beta versions and is there any drawback to using beta version. I'm a little confused about occasional statements certain versions may not allow to go backwards because of changes but may be unstable. The reason I ask is that in some bug reports Ableton asks if the user has the latest version of Live and does the latest version refer to non-beta. Also on some occasions Live has locked up and is that considered a crash. When Live locks up I usually reboot the computer and will I still have an accurate crash log to submit.
Good questions, and I'll try to answer them all.

You should consider using beta versions if you're having problems with the current release version. If you aren't having problems, it's probably best to keep working as you are.

There aren't really drawbacks to using beta versions. In general, we believe that our latest beta is the most stable version of our software.

Currently, it is not possible to open a Set in a version of the software older than the one used to create the Set.

It's difficult to say whether or not a "lock up" is always a crash. In some cases, Live may become temporarily unreponsive, but may work again after some time. But if it feels "crash-like," then it totally makes sense that a user would think Live has crashed.

I don't know if a crash log will always be created if you reboot without first quitting Live. It may be better to try to force-quit Live before rebooting.

Best,

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:38 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
chaibuka wrote:To Ableton:
Good questions, and I'll try to answer them all.

You should consider using beta versions if you're having problems with the current release version. If you aren't having problems, it's probably best to keep working as you are.

There aren't really drawbacks to using beta versions. In general, we believe that our latest beta is the most stable version of our software.

Currently, it is not possible to open a Set in a version of the software older than the one used to create the Set.

It's difficult to say whether or not a "lock up" is always a crash. In some cases, Live may become temporarily unreponsive, but may work again after some time. But if it feels "crash-like," then it totally makes sense that a user would think Live has crashed.

I don't know if a crash log will always be created if you reboot without first quitting Live. It may be better to try to force-quit Live before rebooting.

Best,
How long of a wait would seem reasonable to assume a lockup. I'm not sure what force-quit means. I've tried normal exit and ctr alt del but it seems like only alternative is hard reset of computer.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:28 am

nathannn wrote:so we are not flushing people down toilets now?
Yeah, dammit! I had a perfect picture to follow the others. Now what do we do?!? :roll:

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:06 am

ze2be wrote:
nathannn wrote:so we are not flushing people down toilets now?
Yeah, dammit! I had a perfect picture to follow the others. Now what do we do?!? :roll:
the toilet would still work if 3phase would just quit flushing his tampons for a few days