Introducing "The Lounge"

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sporkles
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Hmm... While I totally understand and respect this move on Ableton's part, I have to say that it will definitely cut down on
my forum time (which is probably not a bad thing anyway :D ). It's at times like this you remember why you started visiting
a forum but it's also when you realise why you're still visiting. Personally, I initially came here looking for a source of
information and help on all things related to Live, but also to check out the community. While I still go here if there's
something specific I want to ask or check out, or if I want to throw in a feature suggestion, most of the time, I come here
just for kicks, and to smile at mindless banter and interesting OT rants. And to help out, if I can, when I see a question
popping up that I know the answer to. By creating "The Lounge", I think Ableton have created a place where all the long
time users will end up hanging out - if they even bother any more. There are many users here who are very helpful when
new users have questions, but isn't it reasonable to assume that this is more because they happened to see the question on
the forum they were logged in to, rather than due to an insatiable desire to perform free, unofficial support on their
spare time?

I, for one, cannot see myself thinking "oh, I must remember checking out the General forum, too, in case there's a question
I can help out with". I like helping out if I can, but my hobby is making music, not trawling the Internet to see if anyone
needs my assistance.

Hidden Driveways
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:38 pm

sporkles wrote: I, for one, cannot see myself thinking "oh, I must remember checking out the General forum, too, in case there's a question
I can help out with". I like helping out if I can, but my hobby is making music, not trawling the Internet to see if anyone
needs my assistance.
Yeah Spork, that strikes at the heart of why a MEGABOARD category would be a good thing. Long time users like Forge will regularly use the "View new posts" feature, but most won't realize it's there, and new members won't have a reason to care about it if there isn't a sense of community here. Forge and others like him care deeply about this place, but the reason they do is because this place has remained untouched and was allowed to grow into what it is today (or what it was a few days ago until The Lounge was instituted).

A MEGABOARD option will keep that sense of togetherness, while at the same time all of the General Ableton Live posts will be organized and all of the OT stuff will be separated in The Lounge, and Ableton AG won't feel like they have this chaotic mess on their hands.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 pm

a sense of togetherness? it's Live first, put all the other bullshit into another corner. your perspective is skewed.

there is a better sense of togetherness now that the OT idiots are moved to another forum. General is a lot more tolerable and I've learned to appreciate the people that post here.

it's really telling to see who's posting where. I cannot fathom going to the Cubase forums (I've never used Cubase) to post jokes with other guys. think about that for a second, it's pretty sad. yes my post count is sad but I'm obsessed with Live and audio, I have no shame for that, audio is a HUGE part of my life and I've learned a TON.

I can and do talk audio and music all day every day, some people don't care to do that, this is not the place for them.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sporkles
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Nice. I'd chill out with the sanctimonious BS, TD.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:15 pm

more personal attacks? nice guy. that's all you can add? weak.


edit - re-reading what I wrote, I understand why you'd have that reaction (that and you're always a dick.)

on one hand there's the forum and then there's the people. I don't mean to judge the people, just their actions. even then, their actions in OT craziness have at times been hilarious and informative. there are people that post that don't even use Live that I do enjoy hearing from, most I'd rather just block and ignore.

it's about getting the most from the forum. then it gets into judging peoples' actions and judging people and that's not cool. I would love a forum where it was all audio all the time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sporkles
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Tone Deft wrote:more personal attacks? nice guy. that's all you can add? weak.


edit - re-reading what I wrote, I understand why you'd have that reaction (that and you're always a dick.)

on one hand there's the forum and then there's the people. I don't mean to judge the people, just their actions. even then, their actions in OT craziness have at times been hilarious and informative. there are people that post that don't even use Live that I do enjoy hearing from, most I'd rather just block and ignore.

it's about getting the most from the forum. then it gets into judging peoples' actions and judging people and that's not cool. I would love a forum where it was all audio all the time.
You're just confirming what I just wrote: I don't understand how you can honestly think you'll get away with claims of only
being here for audio discussion. You've probably had more one-liner retorts than I've had posts in total, and you've displayed
a salient proclivity for taunting other members and getting into pointless flame wars. And who's judging people? "That and
you're always a dick"? What's the basis for that claim, then? Have I disagreed with you? Oh, the shock!

I wasn't attacking you, BTW, only pointing out the obvious contradiction between what you claimed now and who you've been
on the forum in the past.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:53 pm

more personal attacks, jabs at the post count and nothing that speaks to the topic at hand, good job. flame wars in a sticky, classy guy.

want to know how I get into flame wars? look in the mirror. it's exactly this. cut it out. you're just judging me, starting shit up.

I come here for the audio and Live and have totally been sucked into OT topics. I don't start them, I don't encourage them and I've spoken out against them. look at my post history, look at what I've been posting. you're wrong. I've learned more about Live and audio than you ever will. I've certainly helped more people and gotten into way more discussions about Live, controllers, audio, music and all things related than you.

in the last month or so you've been a dick to me. I haven't even been aware of you. now you're being all whiny.


forum - sorry, I did send the guy a PM to clear this up offline, he's not letting that happen.

edit - thinking about it more, the only reason I got into OT threads was out of boredom. they were mixed in with the real threads so I couldn't help but look at them. now they're somewhere else, I just don't bother. the change was that simple. I know I could post OT stuff and make jokes and get some LOLZ but I just don't care. given the choice of forums to open I've been choosing any forum but the Lounge. I do genuinely prefer music to OT.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sporkles
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:19 pm

It's unbelievable how you just end up going in circles. Every time with you, it's that martyr routine. You're calling me
out on making unsubstantiated claims, and then you do it yourself. I've been a dick to you when, again? You want an award
for knowing more about Live than I do, or for having helped out more people than I have? I don't think I've started a single
off-topic thread myself, but I've enjoyed participating in off topic banter; that's exactly what I was saying here
in the first place. I was replying to your post here when you sent me that PM.

Who is it that's being whiny, here, honestly :?:

smutek
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:30 pm
Location: Baltimore,United States

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by smutek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:38 am

sporkles wrote:It's unbelievable how you just end up going in circles. Every time with you, it's that martyr routine. You're calling me
out on making unsubstantiated claims, and then you do it yourself. I've been a dick to you when, again? You want an award
for knowing more about Live than I do, or for having helped out more people than I have? I don't think I've started a single
off-topic thread myself, but I've enjoyed participating in off topic banter; that's exactly what I was saying here
in the first place. I was replying to your post here when you sent me that PM.

Who is it that's being whiny, here, honestly :?:
Dear sporkles, let me tell you something you already know.

Arguing with Tone Deft is, for the most part, like pissing into the wind. It's better to just hold it in.

It's the same thing every time, someone posts something, audio related or not, Tone Deft chimes in with something offensive and a multi-page argument ensues derailing whatever was being discussed.

That guy gets into more arguments with more people than I don't know what - yet somehow it's rarely his fault.

For years now this same exact routine has been going on. If it were just one person here or there, you know - whatever. Sure, we all do stupid shit sometimes, we all get cranky.

In nearly every thread Tone Deft will inevitably pop in, he has an opinion, it's usually delivered in an ugly tone, and more often than not it leads to an argument.

And round and round we go, for years now this has been going on.

Funny thing is he didn't always used to be this way. He actually used to be pretty damn cool.



Tone Deft-

I hate to say it because I really try to like everyone, but you really can be very difficult to interact with. In fact, in my opinion, a great bit of the negativity *that I feel* on the forums rests firmly on your shoulders. It gets to the point sometimes where I hate coming here -because of you.

Sporkles said the word sanctimonious, it really describes your attitude perfectly.

You're a smart guy and I know you know the definition, but here goes anyway:

Sanctimonious : making a show of being morally superior to other people.

Tone Deft wrote: I've learned more about Live and audio than you ever will. I've certainly helped more people and gotten into way more discussions about Live, controllers, audio, music and all things related than you.
Well then.

Thing is, your knowledge and help means not shit when you are holding it over someone else's head as an example of why you are better.

Look - sporkles gave his opinion, your first response is;
Tone Deft wrote: a sense of togetherness? it's Live first, put all the other bullshit into another corner. your perspective is skewed.


Yet somehow you can't see how that could get under someones skin?

And somehow you become the victim.

You go on to say -
Tone Deft wrote: there is a better sense of togetherness now that the OT idiots are moved to another forum.
Right, so all of us that have been posting in "The Lounge" or who post things you consider "OT" are idiots now?

That's cute.

Before we go any further, let me tell you real quick to go fuck yourself:

Go fuck yourself Tone Deft.

And before you counter with how involved I am in music, as you inevitably do, I haven't touched the guitar in months but otherwise I'm doing just fine with my copy of Live and am excited about music.

Let me add that I don't give a shit how hard you've worked, how much you've learned, or what you think you've contributed because quite frankly you are a menace.

A fucking menace to this forum.

And I know you said "I'm don't mean to judge" but you do, you judge the piss out of people -just like I'm judging you now.

So how about this-

I paid for my software in March of 2003, I have been using it for 7 years now. What I do with it, how quickly I learn, and what I know is my own business. This goes for everyone else on this forum.

I have been contributing to this forum just as long as I have owned my software and I will continue to contribute to this forum as I see fit because what you think means shit to me.

So please, just shut the fuck up and stop being a dick.

Bye.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:57 am

do you have any idea how ironic and ugly this is? stupid thing to write man.

move it to PMs or the lounge.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

smutek
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:30 pm
Location: Baltimore,United States

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by smutek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 am

Fuck you. I'm over your shit and tired of being nice to you. I'll post where I want and other than to an ableton employee I will not apologize for what I've written.

:wink:

Tarekith
Posts: 17763
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:19 am

Woo hoo, this is the lounge in action!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

Hidden Driveways
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:03 am

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Cryptic UK
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:51 pm

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:11 am

My name is at the top now.

thanks
Drums

jsn
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: JKPG SWEDEN

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by jsn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 pm

This was a great decision.

Post Reply