Free 8.5 Upgrade, Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Should Ableton surprise us with a free 8.5 update as described here?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 55

infiniteB

Free 8.5 Upgrade, Ableton?

Post by infiniteB » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 am

Folks at Ableton,
Considering you just took over the world this year (Max for Live, APC40, Launchpad, Da Bridge, Live 8 not too long ago), and also take into consideration the recent bug-heavy detriment to your rep that has taken place, I would suggest that a free, "surprise", BUG FREE 8.5 update (a cost to new customers of course), with some surprise new amazing features, something that magazines can review (cover page, anyone?) like a new release of sorts, be impressed with, be surprised by, give many compliments, give much praise too, go on and on about how Ableton didn't HAVE to do this, and bring Ableton's reputation, and name back up to where it should be...somewhat analogous to free OSX releases that are practically new versions of operating systems (with new features, major upgrades, this is how Apple keeps/grows its rep)... Sprectrasonics does similar things, so do other companies... Something like this can enable Ableton to make even more money in the future (If you guys eventually get a Photoshop-like undo going, and also a Midi even list/editor.... hint, hint, again, again)
Anyways, this is a poll (shhh.) ... If those of you reading this think Ableton should surprise us, and that if they surprise us in this light, Ableton's rep can grow bigger than the size of our universe, vote a resounding "yes". Otherwise, vote "no" and go listen to Rush Limbaugh.
Last edited by infiniteB on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

Cowlash

Re: Free 8.5 Upgrade, Ableton?

Post by Cowlash » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:14 am

wow.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 am

From http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=105
tempus3r wrote:There's an old saying in the software industry. Performance/Stability, New Features, or Ship on time. Pick two.
So... which two would you like?

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 am

8O wrote:From http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=105
tempus3r wrote:There's an old saying in the software industry. Performance/Stability, New Features, or Ship on time. Pick two.
So... which two would you like?
Performance and Stability with new features that's shipped on time (I'm an American on the metric scale). :lol:
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

evilaci

Post by evilaci » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:53 am

tempus3r wrote:
There's an old saying in the software industry. Performance/Stability, New Features, or Ship on time. Pick two.

This is exactly the essence!

The problem is always(!) either the success-drunk management (bugs are peanuts-details when you are in the BIG picture), the marketing people or the customers....... :!:

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 pm

But Rush Limbaugh got it going on

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:48 pm

I suggest this free upgrade also for live 6 and 7 users. or just for 99 euros.

just an idea.

Squeltch : who is But Rush Limbaugh ? he may have some amzing tips to share???

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm

monstrejumo wrote:I suggest this free upgrade also for live 6 and 7 users. or just for 99 euros.

just an idea.

Squeltch : who is But Rush Limbaugh ? he may have some amzing tips to share???
Trust me---You don't want to know this guy. He's a radio talk show host in the States...Huge asshole. His show is mainly political/current affair based & just a whirlwind of self centered biased ass opinions :x

Im sure this is a photoshopped picture---But it just works!

Im sorry---HERE----> This will help you---Straight from the prophets mouth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7Q7BkAbCk

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:31 pm

hi ! it would be great to have a live 8.5 with new features ..

im thinking about one : "BOUNCE IN PLACE " a la logic

this is an ESSENTIAL feature for serious and quick editing...ergonomical and HUGE time saver !

n8sum

Post by n8sum » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:50 pm

This is a ridiculous poll. The deal is that owners of Live 8 get all updates until Live 9. I'd prefer regular updates rather than one final flawless update (believe me software is never bug proof, you learn to live with some bugs just like those cockroaches in your floor boards.. that is a reality).

As for features, they just released a (warmly received) statement that they were working towards stability and halting any feature development. Ableton has its work cut out for it with fixing bugs and stabilizing add-ons like Max4Live and the Bridge.

Do you think if it were easy to "surprise" people with a bug free version they wouldn't have done it already? Give them a break infiniteB.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 pm

n8sum wrote:This is a ridiculous poll. The deal is that owners of Live 8 get all updates until Live 9. I'd prefer regular updates rather than one final flawless update (believe me software is never bug proof, you learn to live with some bugs just like those cockroaches in your floor boards.. that is a reality).

As for features, they just released a (warmly received) statement that they were working towards stability and halting any feature development. Ableton has its work cut out for it with fixing bugs and stabilizing add-ons like Max4Live and the Bridge.

Do you think if it were easy to "surprise" people with a bug free version they wouldn't have done it already? Give them a break infiniteB.
Amen.

But maybe at some point they should name a bug fix update 8.5 so people will get a warm feeling.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 pm

We dnt need new features damn it! And i sure as hell woudnt be paying for an 8.5 bugfix.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 pm

I still remember the day propellerheads brought out reason 2.5, It was the best WTF ever

.5 updates are the best, they are free but they are special, not enough research has been done into what the .5 update can do towards cementing a loyal user base.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Emissary wrote:.5 updates are the best, they are free but they are special, not enough research has been done into what the .5 update can do towards cementing a loyal user base.
Ableton Live 8.5 Lounge Edition :wink:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Emissary wrote:I still remember the day propellerheads brought out reason 2.5, It was the best WTF ever

.5 updates are the best, they are free but they are special, not enough research has been done into what the .5 update can do towards cementing a loyal user base.
Free .5 updates are usually awesome. But Ableton don't do that. They just don't add features except for full upgrades. It would be a nice surprise. And I don't think it would be dangerous for stability to throw in a nice little som'n som'n. "hey, here's 8.5 with huge stability update and as a gift, here's stretch mode in sampler as well... with the start position knob too!"... woohoo! thanks abes!

I dunno, I kind of agree. A nice little something like that would be a nice gesture.
Professional Shark Jumper.