Launchpad + VCM 600

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoxDJ

Launchpad + VCM 600

Post by BoxDJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Sound like a good idea? It just came to me right now. I'm doing some research on the VCM 600 right now.

timothyallan

Re: Launchpad + VCM 600

Post by timothyallan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:02 am

Good idea for what? It's def. not a good idea for playing Crysis. Might be a good idea for psytrance though.

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:45 am

timothyallan wrote:Good idea for what? It's def. not a good idea for playing Crysis. Might be a good idea for psytrance though.
Baha, yeah, you actually read my mind. I'm starting to product phytrance/dance and DJ live sets.

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 am

Right now, I'm thinking of using the Launchpad strictly for launching clips and the VCM 600 for pretty much everything else. Is it possible that I could focus in on a channel and focus on a effect and use the knobs to change the values instead of having each knob assigned to just on effect?

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 am

I don't have either...but it has crossed my mind as a pretty killer (if pricey) combo.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:31 am

My VCM launches clips just fine, haven't found a need for a launchpad as well yet. Depends on how you play though.

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Let me rephrase my question. I want the ability to scroll through all my effects on any selected channel then change the values instead of having one knob hardwired to one effect, much like an APC40.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm

BoxDJ wrote:Let me rephrase my question. I want the ability to scroll through all my effects on any selected channel then change the values instead of having one knob hardwired to one effect, much like an APC40.
A recent mathmatical calculation determined that you don't need an APC40 to do that. It's simple, all you need to do is:
delicioso wrote:have a nanokontrol set up to have the first 2 scenes automap to arm, volume, solo, trigger, pan for 1 - 16 tracks. The 8 knobs of the 3rd scene instant automaps to any selected device in Live. The 8 top buttons for the 3rd scene also selects tracks. That leaves the remaining controls in scene 3 and 4 to be mapped to any dedicated controls and labeled using 1/4" paper tape. So I have 18 buttons between scenes 3 and 4 which essentially gives me 27 buttons that are labeled (color coded between scenes 3 & 4). I have those buttons mapped and labeled for things like track left, track right, device left, device right, device on/off, add audio track, add midi track, hide/show in/out, freeze track, flatten, slice to midi, consolidate, select loop (I have this working in session view not just arrangement), scroll, zoom, different grid sizes...etc. with a little help from an awesome utility called QuicKeys that is always on and stays out of the way with minimal CPU usage. And I have my usb keypad customized with Controllermate and labeled as such: undo, redo, delete, duplicate, copy, cut, paste, shift tab, insert scene, insert captured scene, add midi clip, metronome, tap tempo...etc. And with Num Lock on, the arrows act as alt+arrow, and revert to regular arrows with Num Lock off. Nocturn provides things like Quantize, pitch transpose (for both audio AND midi clips), loop start and loop length which work without having to select the loop, tempo, scrub, clip scrub...etc. It can also do a lot of the same stuff that nanoKontrol can like transport, triggering, selecting tracks, instant automapping to macros..etc so it allows for more flexible workflow. Not to mention Novation Automap itself for all third party plugins.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Doesn't the VCM 600 only have 6 tracks? A brilliant idea in a world full of 8s. Not enough buns for your hotdogs.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 pm

6 is plenty if you're doing a decks + fx kinda deal ;)

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:
BoxDJ wrote:Let me rephrase my question. I want the ability to scroll through all my effects on any selected channel then change the values instead of having one knob hardwired to one effect, much like an APC40.
A recent mathmatical calculation determined that you don't need an APC40 to do that. It's simple, all you need to do is:
delicioso wrote:have a nanokontrol set up to have the first 2 scenes automap to arm, volume, solo, trigger, pan for 1 - 16 tracks. The 8 knobs of the 3rd scene instant automaps to any selected device in Live. The 8 top buttons for the 3rd scene also selects tracks. That leaves the remaining controls in scene 3 and 4 to be mapped to any dedicated controls and labeled using 1/4" paper tape. So I have 18 buttons between scenes 3 and 4 which essentially gives me 27 buttons that are labeled (color coded between scenes 3 & 4). I have those buttons mapped and labeled for things like track left, track right, device left, device right, device on/off, add audio track, add midi track, hide/show in/out, freeze track, flatten, slice to midi, consolidate, select loop (I have this working in session view not just arrangement), scroll, zoom, different grid sizes...etc. with a little help from an awesome utility called QuicKeys that is always on and stays out of the way with minimal CPU usage. And I have my usb keypad customized with Controllermate and labeled as such: undo, redo, delete, duplicate, copy, cut, paste, shift tab, insert scene, insert captured scene, add midi clip, metronome, tap tempo...etc. And with Num Lock on, the arrows act as alt+arrow, and revert to regular arrows with Num Lock off. Nocturn provides things like Quantize, pitch transpose (for both audio AND midi clips), loop start and loop length which work without having to select the loop, tempo, scrub, clip scrub...etc. It can also do a lot of the same stuff that nanoKontrol can like transport, triggering, selecting tracks, instant automapping to macros..etc so it allows for more flexible workflow. Not to mention Novation Automap itself for all third party plugins.
Could someone put it any clearer? I'm a dummy >.<

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:03 am

I'd also like to add that I heard someone say that having the Launchpad and Vestax VCM 600 + other midi controllers, conflict with each other. Is this true?

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Bahmp, anyone?

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:35 am

BoxDJ wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:
Could someone put it any clearer? I'm a dummy >.<
BoxDJ wrote:I'd also like to add that I heard someone say that having the Launchpad and Vestax VCM 600 + other midi controllers, conflict with each other. Is this true?
Anyone to answer my questions? Please?

tripandball

Post by tripandball » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:40 am

To get the VCM & Launchpad to work together, just use midi pipe. I made a whole blog going into DEEP detail about the process on my blog!

http://djfrobot.blogspot.com/2010/03/ma ... chpad.html

Peace!

FroBot