Sampling from turntable (connection problems - FML )

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Contra

Sampling from turntable (connection problems - FML )

Post by Contra » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Sooooo,

I been upgrading my setup, replaced the old Macbook, with a Macbook Pro, my Mbox with an Apogee Duet (i thought this was the main source of my problems, apparently not) and Ableton Live 6 with Live 8.

I sample alot, and with my previous setup I was unable to get any sound from vinyl/microphones into Live. I had no issues sampling/recording into Pro Tools though. Once again I assumed it was a Digidesign driver error.

I upgrade the whole setup including my audio interface, and same problem in Ableton, only now I can slightly here the vinyl I'm sampling with the hum/ground/noise swallowing up the actual sounds of the record.

I emailed Ableton support about a week and a half ago to see if it was some internal setting (but with 2 ins and 2 outs on the Mbox) I doubt there was much routing issues to go through, and never got a response. So that's why I purchased the Duet.

The Duet does that same issue in GarageBand.

I'm thinking it may be my mixer, but we'll get into that shortly.

Contra

Re: Sampling from turntable (connection problems - FML )

Post by Contra » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:40 pm

on a sidenote. From my turntable to mixer (and listenin from the monitors hooked to the mixer) no sound problems. once i hit record in ableton, PROBLEMS.

So i plugged the turntable (after the phono preamp) straight into the Apogee Duet thinking it was the mixer, same problem.

evileye

Post by evileye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:06 am

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the mixer so i god rid of it and just connected the ground wire to the preamp and then to my konneck 24
maybe getting rid of your mixer isnt a option

Contra

Post by Contra » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

yea i may have to do that today. I'll just hook up everything from the phono preamp str8 to the Apogee Duet. the Mixer was so I could use "The Really Nice Compressor" on the auxes on the mixer, but I dont even do all that ish.

Thanks for the help i'll post later on today what happened.

Contra

Post by Contra » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 am

yo evileye,
it was the mixer. now everything is A-Ok.
thanks dude, much appreciated.

-Sha'ul