Is Live 8 Stable?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
robleighton22
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 pm

ive had no issues using live 8.1.1. guess im lucky.

Theo Void
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by Theo Void » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:42 pm

OP Here : OK But I'm using version 7.0.18 because I use Launchpad. When I tried to check out Live 8 Demo that came w/ Launchpad it said that if I install and use it I won't be able to go back to a previous version. Is this true?

Theo Void
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by Theo Void » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Im interested in the Looper because if I understand it correctly it allows you to change clip lengths on the fly. Making them bigger and smaller. (Like stuttering and momentarily fucking up the rythm) I'm into that kinda thing Live! Especially when mapped to a controller knob!
Maybe there's another way to do that w/o Looper. Could anyone tell me how?

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Sunsetter wrote:OP Here : OK But I'm using version 7.0.18 because I use Launchpad. When I tried to check out Live 8 Demo that came w/ Launchpad it said that if I install and use it I won't be able to go back to a previous version. Is this true?
All versions of live including point updates install to separate locations so you can allways use any version you have installed, so its easy to say use version 7.0.15 for a project, while using 7.0.8 for another project and 8.1.1 for yet another project. However...

Project files can only generally be loaded by the same or a later version of Live. Also if you load library loops, library samples etc then make changes and save that cause the .asd file associated with the loop or sample to change, them that sample may not load into an earlier version (and may even crash an earlier version) until the .asd file is deleted.

The obvious way around this isto maintain differen sample libraries for at least different major releases that your are still using, for eg I still have two samples libraries, one for V7 and another for V8 to ensure that the few projects I want load with a v7 will always load correctly as a just-in-case measure for older stuff that I may still need to work on.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Theo Void
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by Theo Void » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:16 pm

Khazul wrote:
Sunsetter wrote:OP Here : OK But I'm using version 7.0.18 because I use Launchpad. When I tried to check out Live 8 Demo that came w/ Launchpad it said that if I install and use it I won't be able to go back to a previous version. Is this true?
All versions of live including point updates install to separate locations so you can allways use any version you have installed, so its easy to say use version 7.0.15 for a project, while using 7.0.8 for another project and 8.1.1 for yet another project. However...

Project files can only generally be loaded by the same or a later version of Live. Also if you load library loops, library samples etc then make changes and save that cause the .asd file associated with the loop or sample to change, them that sample may not load into an earlier version (and may even crash an earlier version) until the .asd file is deleted.

The obvious way around this isto maintain differen sample libraries for at least different major releases that your are still using, for eg I still have two samples libraries, one for V7 and another for V8 to ensure that the few projects I want load with a v7 will always load correctly as a just-in-case measure for older stuff that I may still need to work on.
Wow!!! Great explanation!
Thanks Dude!
I wanted to try out my Demo 8 but was worried I'd be unable to revert to 7. But that makes complete sense!
Good Look .............!!! :wink:

Theo Void
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by Theo Void » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:18 pm

oh and Khazul.
Your studio is F'n Sick!!!!
I'd love to spend just one day in there!

Amazing .
I'm in the process of checkin out your tracks on SoundCloud!

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by 3phase » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 pm

its not the plug ins that make L8 unstable.. its the program itself.. and additional to it plug in issues.. but all the meanest bugs, that are hopefully sorted by now, was not plug in dependend.. other wise it would have been possible to work with L8 because its easy to give up on one plug in...

lots of the meanest bugs was relared to special hardware.. my macbook was one of the laptops that got it badly.. yours is one model later... maybe it works mabey its lots of trouble..

if looper ias the only reason to go on L8 you should wait because looper is not really what was advertized.. at least for me my old lexcon jamman works 10000 times better.. looper is actually a weak point of l8...


I recomend to safe your money for L9
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:59 pm

ok, not the plugins but any communication with EXTERNAL stuff. be it other software, or hardware. because if one side of the two can't handle all the missuses the other side could throw out, one side will crash. as it's live loading the other devices, it will always be live crashing, and not some random plug or such crashing on it's own.

it's like the cry that windows is instable. it's not. it's rock stable. but if you pair it with stupid hw, or software, it might still be a very instable combination.

i really hope ableton gets the compatibility quality up again, so people can throw all sorts of plugs and hw and soundcards and system configs at it, without it failing to handle all of them.

but it's very understandable that this is, by far, the hardest part.

live on it's own, without any plug works 100% stable on all sorts of systems i ran it on. and it works quite fine for a lot of people. it really depends on the setup.

which is why i suggest trying out the demo for a while.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by 3phase » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 pm

davepermen wrote:
live on it's own, without any plug works 100% stable on all sorts of systems i ran it on. and it works quite fine for a lot of people. it really depends on the setup.

which is why i suggest trying out the demo for a while.

??? wasnt you the guy that admitted thats 100% stable but has a "little" crash form time to time?


come on.its defenetly not stable.. at least not yet in the release version..
its the most unstable version of live there ever was..


actually one should try the newest beta to see what the situation really is..

it still has issues but seems to be more stable than the release/demo version...
Last edited by 3phase on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 pm

davepermen wrote:ok, not the plugins but any communication with EXTERNAL stuff. be it other software, or hardware. because if one side of the two can't handle all the missuses the other side could throw out, one side will crash. as it's live loading the other devices, it will always be live crashing, and not some random plug or such crashing on it's own.

it's like the cry that windows is instable. it's not. it's rock stable. but if you pair it with stupid hw, or software, it might still be a very instable combination.

i really hope ableton gets the compatibility quality up again, so people can throw all sorts of plugs and hw and soundcards and system configs at it, without it failing to handle all of them.

but it's very understandable that this is, by far, the hardest part.

live on it's own, without any plug works 100% stable on all sorts of systems i ran it on. and it works quite fine for a lot of people. it really depends on the setup.

which is why i suggest trying out the demo for a while.
I'm guessing you didn't see my reply on the last page/ I quote myself:
Really? I opened the most recent Live beta last night (8.1.2b4). One midi track, otherwise fresh set. Nothing attached to my macbook pro whatsoever, no audio interface, not even a keyboard. I loaded a collision preset and played a few notes on the computer keyboard - Crash! This has happened a few times before, plug-in or Ableton device. Even more with a max for live device.

Is this stable without third party plug-ins? You tell me.
So with nothing but a power chord connected, what exactly is the 'external' component here? Collision? What are we to use to be safe? Audio loops only?
Professional Shark Jumper.

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:28 pm

3phase wrote:
davepermen wrote:
live on it's own, without any plug works 100% stable on all sorts of systems i ran it on. and it works quite fine for a lot of people. it really depends on the setup.

which is why i suggest trying out the demo for a while.

??? wasnt you the guy that admitted thats 100% stable but has a "little" crash form time to time?


come on.its defenetly not stable.. at least not yet in the release version..
its the most unstable version of live there ever was..


actually one should try the newest beta to see what the situation really is..

it still has issues but seems to be more stable than the release/demo version...
one crash a year does not mean "omg it's so fucking unstable we have to bash it all day long". could have been something else. it was just one time that i had no clue why something went wrong, where actually something DID went wrong. doesn't happen often (1 time a year, often? while having it open nearly daily? yeah.. way to exagerate. but you're great at that anyways.)
and the newest beta is same as all beta and full releases for me: rock stable.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:30 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
davepermen wrote:ok, not the plugins but any communication with EXTERNAL stuff. be it other software, or hardware. because if one side of the two can't handle all the missuses the other side could throw out, one side will crash. as it's live loading the other devices, it will always be live crashing, and not some random plug or such crashing on it's own.

it's like the cry that windows is instable. it's not. it's rock stable. but if you pair it with stupid hw, or software, it might still be a very instable combination.

i really hope ableton gets the compatibility quality up again, so people can throw all sorts of plugs and hw and soundcards and system configs at it, without it failing to handle all of them.

but it's very understandable that this is, by far, the hardest part.

live on it's own, without any plug works 100% stable on all sorts of systems i ran it on. and it works quite fine for a lot of people. it really depends on the setup.

which is why i suggest trying out the demo for a while.
I'm guessing you didn't see my reply on the last page/ I quote myself:
Really? I opened the most recent Live beta last night (8.1.2b4). One midi track, otherwise fresh set. Nothing attached to my macbook pro whatsoever, no audio interface, not even a keyboard. I loaded a collision preset and played a few notes on the computer keyboard - Crash! This has happened a few times before, plug-in or Ableton device. Even more with a max for live device.

Is this stable without third party plug-ins? You tell me.
So with nothing but a power chord connected, what exactly is the 'external' component here? Collision? What are we to use to be safe? Audio loops only?
fully default setup of live and os? without any change in presets or what ever? and no vsts in the folder (not in use, it's currently an issue that live actually can have problems with 3rd party plugins just when it lists them).

and no, collision never failed on me. but it's not my main instrument of use. have you reported the bug? could you reproduce it on a different system?

3phase says his macbook is one that has quite some issues with live, newers could be better. is it newest gen, or a bit an older one?

lots of variations even in your very closed small case, and all those cases HAVE to be known to find out exactly where and why it goes wrong. which is something 3phase will never get.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:35 pm

I still have VSTs insalled, just none were open. Ok I see so you're saying problems can happen just from having VSTs installed, I thought you meant actually using them.

Everything in my system is updated and clean. I have very few problems over all. And I often run Live in jamming situations where I don't get a crash all night and I run many third-party plug-ins. But I do get random crashes at times, which make me nervous for using it in any situation where it's really important not to crash.

I do send my crashpacks in though, but only use one system so I don't know about another system.
Professional Shark Jumper.

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm

try changing your vst folder to an empty folder, so live can't even see the vsts. just to see if it starts to be more stable. it would be strange (for me), if it would. then again, i haven't read the vst specs, and how one has to load them to list them. maybe there could be some buffer overflow just from loading the vst, and something like collision touches that overflown buffer.

who knows? sw development is hard. they use c++, thus it's VERY hard.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by 3phase » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:40 pm

davepermen wrote:
lots of variations even in your very closed small case, and all those cases HAVE to be known to find out exactly where and why it goes wrong. which is something 3phase will never get.
ableton never told us what modells was problematic and which not..

why?


1) because only a very few was problematic not worth to mention?


2) or a big part of the recent apple models you better dont mention to dont irritate users that dont know yet that they have a trouble machine because they are only light users?


i bet for the second..


its really funny how you ignore the issues L8 has ... there is an official anoiuncement that states that L8 has issues and you claim that ther are non and only 3rd party plugs can be problematic...


is this really your truth? maybe..buts its not the truth for many other users..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Post Reply