Is Live 8 Stable?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davepermen

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:47 pm

you never acknowledged their statement. else, you would have STOPPED BASHING THEM for the stuff they work on fixing.

I accepted it. I knew some people have problems, I know, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM (which you can't imagine those exist, too. and most likely, they are THE MAJORITY of users).

and btw, there is another solution you forgot (obviously again), that is 3) because they just didn't/don't know themselves exactly which models??

ever thought about that? ever thought that they COULD NEED HELP finding the roots of the problems? ever thought that they don't have all hw configurations all over the world that are possible, and test all versions with all sort of livesets, each of them for hours, in case one could trigger a bug?

that is technically not doable. not in a timeframe that we all would be still alive.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

davepermen wrote:you never acknowledged their statement. else, you would have STOPPED BASHING THEM for the stuff they work on fixing..
after they pressed us into max for live.. that has created a ton of extra problems.. instead fixing L8 first the pushed MFL thru for the christmas biz..

i really dont belive that they only became aware of the issues after the release of Mfl...

It was easy to for them to delay a feature that was allready sold to the users > share

But it wasnt possible to shift the max intergration to a later point ?

You are wright,, i dont acknowledge theire quality statement.. it dont appears to be honnest for me
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:53 pm

the question is....

is 3phase stable?

:lol:

no.

:(
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 pm

must.... resist.... posting..... facile... remark.... about.... locking... door.... after the... horse... has ..... bolted.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 am

ya well after all this nonsense I think I will just wait for 9. I really have no problem with 7. It does everything I need it to and I've never had any sorta problems
I'm not really interested in M4L all that much. I have a basic understanding of what its about but it just sounds like too much.
And also the Looper wasnt the only reason I wanted to upgrade. I read hella shit about Live 8, better warping engine etc.
Butif its THAT unstable I'll wait cuz Ill end up tossin my fuckin Macbook off a wall. Then I'll really be fucked!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 am

dude, try the demo.
the people crying about how horrible it is are the same people that have been crying about shit since the first day they showed up here.

8.09 is working great for me on a 2.93 ghz duo macbook with 4g ram running os x 10.5.8.
havent bothered with 8.1 or later yet to avoid any possible issues brought up by m4l.

will live never crash? no, of course not, every soft in the world crashes every now and then. however, i still have yet to have a crash using my live performance setup or my dj setup, both of which use no 3rd party plugs and are streamlined to stay well within the limits of my computer's power.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:48 am

All is much better now in Live.

There are still issues but for me, most of the remaining issues are small stuff.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:32 am

try the demo. don't let yourself get knocked down by single stories of the some that have problems. just try it, but try it with passion, mess around very much. live 8 has some nice features worth exploring.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:37 am

3phase wrote:
davepermen wrote:you never acknowledged their statement. else, you would have STOPPED BASHING THEM for the stuff they work on fixing..
after they pressed us into max for live.. that has created a ton of extra problems.. instead fixing L8 first the pushed MFL thru for the christmas biz..

i really dont belive that they only became aware of the issues after the release of Mfl...

It was easy to for them to delay a feature that was allready sold to the users > share

You are wright,, i dont acknowledge theire quality statement.. it dont appears to be honnest for me
just one thing: they have different teams for different parts of the system. you couldn't just take out the m4l guys and say "fix bugs" and they could do that easily. more likely, they would have added new bugs during their fixing. NOT a good idea.

and m4l doesn't really add much instability to life, more of the contrary, as i stated before. it's called refactoring, a very wellknown software development 'thing' people do to work with old, possibly partially legacy based code, that might need some rewamp to match the current state of the software.

but I'm talking to a brick wall, that can't understand that anyways :) i still try to create a short 3phrase (hehe) idea on why m4l could have led to that 'we try to fix bugs now first' attitude in the first place:

live8 was a bloated, patched up version of live 7 (wich was the same, based on 6, 5, 4, etc.. everytime). m4l for the first time forced them to dive deep into live again, to make it pluggable. that helped them look at stuff that wasn't fine after all that patching anymore, showing how much they need to fix all their stuff.

but i know you can't understand the possible truth in this.

90's child

Post by 90's child » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 pm

My Live 8 is totally stable. I'm running FXpansion Synth Squad, Predator and UAD-2.

The only bug I've found is the clipping I get when using complex pro warp mode.

esky

Post by esky » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 pm

dude, try the demo.
the people crying about how horrible it is are the same people that have been crying about shit since the first day they showed up here.

8.09 is working great for me on a 2.93 ghz duo macbook with 4g ram running os x 10.5.8.
havent bothered with 8.1 or later yet to avoid any possible issues brought up by m4l.
+1, 8.0.9 is running smoothly with tons of plugins, 8.1.1 is a little woobly on the feet. I'd say there is no perfect DAW on the market, they're all have their issues...at least Ableton is confessing them...

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 pm

3phase wrote: after they pressed us into max for live.. that has created a ton of extra problems.. instead fixing L8 first the pushed MFL thru for the christmas biz..
Alot of people keep blaiming M4L for the issues - unless they started integrating M4L between the last 8.0.0 RC and the actual 8.0.0 (or 8.0.1), then this is bollox - for me this is when Live became unstable, and it stayed that way right through the 8.0.X updates and 8.1.0 until 8.1.1 when for me it got better (I also have M4L installed as well).

My experience is that the M4L integration actually *improved* the overall stability of Live 8 - and actually this makes sense as you start uncovering deeper bugs in a system when you start accessing its internals in a different way. Sure, M4L may have introduced new problems, but I would guess most of those where between Live core engine and M4L, rather than causing lots of new bugs in the core application. Perhaps because I have allways have M4L (beta or release) installed its actually been better for me relative to earlier updates? Unlikely, but possible.

At this point 8.1.2b4 is by far the most Live 8 version to date - it still crashes, but far less and with less predictability which suggest to me alot of the major crashes have been found and fixed.
Nothing to see here - move along!

nexus-6

Post by nexus-6 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

how come there are max4live patches included with ableton live INTRO,when you cant even use live INTRO with m4l???
Nexus-6,Nexus-6-project

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 pm

nexus-6 wrote:how come there are max4live patches included with ableton live INTRO,when you cant even use live INTRO with m4l???
so you could update the license and it would work? maybe.. no clue, actually. maybe a leftover when cutting stuff out of intro.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:15 pm

davepermen wrote: I accepted it. I knew some people have problems, I know, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM (which you can't imagine those exist, too. and most likely, they are THE MAJORITY of users).
the majority of users i know that are using 8.x have serious troubles.
the majority of users i know that are using 7.x and lower have minimal issues.

you tell me, does that look right to you?