Kenton Control Freak -vs- BCR2000

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dum

Kenton Control Freak -vs- BCR2000

Post by dum » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 pm

heh!
seems I've amused some (hackneyed) trolls with my musings on the superior feel and 'performability' of the dials on the kenton control freak over the bcr2000.

I use the bcr2000 for relatively static stuff, but when it comes to live mixing and creatively dubbing out my reggae/dub sets it's got to be the kenton for me. It feels better, it's response is noticeably better, I can whip it from 0 - 127 exactly as and when I want. There are bound to be other superior feeling dials out there, I imagine the doepfer drehbank would be in a similar league as the kenton control freak.

Does anyone else agree about the superior feeling and action of certain dials to the bcr2k, or am I shitting out esoteric nonsense from my e-arse ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

RajahP

Re: Kenton Control Freak -vs- BCR2000

Post by RajahP » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 am

You might want to take a look at this video since you mentioned dub/reggae. This my shit is better that yours have no place when you talk about Dub/Reggae, many of the classics were recorded on 'inferior' gear back in the day.
Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NeRYrUQKko

dum

Post by dum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:52 am

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

I've owned that documentary/dvd since it came out. and I was at screenings before it was released on dvd.
So stick that in your pipe and shove it up your arse.

And seeing as I've seen it, several times, I can safely tell you thatNONE of the contributors to that documentary are promoting the use of shitty made-in-china midi controllers that break easily, and feel like shit to dub tunes out to. And I am an advocate of the bcr2k. it's kool, really kool, but for some things not.

the lo-fi factor in 'dub echoes' (your shitty youtube link isn't even titled correctly) is attributed to the likes of DIY sound systems, serious 'limitations' like the use of 4-tracks, the degrading attributes of tape (which was also, as we know now, the advantage), and a general do-what-you-can & adventurous attitude.

they were using analogue equipment with little to no latency.
in terms of dubbing tunes out with midi controllers - I'm sorry but even the most die-hard DIY dub enthusiast steeped in the dub ethos is going to want his dials to be as smooth and responsive as he can get. kenton control freaks, or a swathe of controllers other than the bcr2k, are affordable and accessible - and are better to dub with.

dum seh so.

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:32 am

You seem like the type who would of pissed on these dub producers back then, because the were not using the 'industry standard ' SSL console etc. THEY USED WHAT THEY HAD AND MADE GREAT USE OF IT!
Now pompous people like yourself who owns the dvd, went to the screening and still would never get it even if you watched it 1000 times.
You are out of touch son.
IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC... CREATIVITY!

dum

Post by dum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:49 am

man, you are seriously sanctimonious. You're obviously carrying things on from another thread where I was emphasising the musical relevance of controller build quality. I'm not saying it's the be-all-and-end-all , on the contrary it is you who is claiming the build quality is IRRELEVANT. it's not. it matters. it relates to the output. for reasons so obvious it would pain me to illustrate them for someone so clearly & frequently obtuse.

as for referencing the documentary, you gloriously ignore the fact that time-and-time again the PRODUCERS who contribute emphasise the importance of 'feel', which is entirely what I'm talking about. And again - gloriously ignoring the fact that they document the culture of stripping records of their identifying labels so that other musicians couldn't recognise what was being played. not exactly altruist or committed to the furthering of the musical fulfilment for everyone involved.

don't be so emotional or defensive. I'm talking objectively about midi controllers for fuck sake.
And also, those legendary dub-producers of yesteryear weren't using consumer shit. exceptions to the rule not withstanding. and ssl was only founded in 1969.

coup moi

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 am

frankly i think you're both douchebags.

that said, i've had one of these for at about 10 years and i love it:

very smooth and built like a tank.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

dum

Post by dum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:55 am

:lol:

hi leisuremuffin.

why so serious ?

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:33 am

b0unce? is that you? i've missed you
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

halley

Post by halley » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:19 am

+1 for PC1600x

I've had it since it came out
probably a couple of years more than ten
not only is built like a tank
it also has some serious midi programming features. 8)
(...too bad live sucks with sysex)

still...

I'll see in a few weeks...
but I'd probably go for an ipad instead of a lemur :mrgreen:

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Of course the BCR is a cheap piece of shit, its made by Behringer. Just happens to be one of the few usable pieces of crap Behringer makes lol.

Still, piece of crap or not, the LEDs on the knobs make the BCR more usable for me than the Control Freak. When it comes to feel...0-127 still feels like 0-127 either way you slice it imo. No hate towards the CF though, its a decent controller.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:32 pm

dum wrote: seems I've amused some (hackneyed) trolls with my musings on the superior feel and 'performability' of the dials on the kenton control freak over the bcr2000.

So what you're saying, really, is that the BCR can't stand the heat and melts under your God Like Magic Fingers, but the CF holds up nicely to your wonderous fiddling.

Is that about right? lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x