tracktor or serato which to buy??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ekwipt

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by ekwipt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:09 am

I had serato, I now have traktor. Traktors sound quality Audio 8 DJ is a lot better than Seratos SL1. I haven't used the SL3 however. Timecode is tighter for mixing in traktor, I don't seem to be constantly udjusting the records. I don't scratch but I've seen people that do and it seems to do fine in this regard. Midi assignments on traktor are very powerful and I'm thinking about ditching my turntables for two kontrol x1s and Maschine. Seratos development has been very slow to say the least and they're only catching up to Traktor now in terms of features and to achieve that you have to have ableton live 8, to get 4 decks in Serato you hav to buy a proprietary $3000 USD mixer that I doubt you'll want to bring to a club.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 am

I ditched Traktor for Serato years ago and have never looked back.

Serato is awesome if you like to DJ.
Traktor is awesome if you like to put fx on tracks...

Considering your on the Ableton forum. then you should get serato.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:54 am

Ben_Binary.... FTW!!!

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

beatniks3

Post by beatniks3 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:47 pm

Ben_Binary wrote:I ditched Traktor for Serato years ago and have never looked back.

Serato is awesome if you like to DJ.
Traktor is awesome if you like to put fx on tracks...

Considering your on the Ableton forum. then you should get serato.
it's funny just how true this ends up being, you read so many noobs decide on traktor cause its got effects...and 4 decks; two things a noob should use sparingly anywaay...

icki dwards

Post by icki dwards » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:57 pm

:D
Mate i have dj`ed for nearly 20 years so not a noobie at all I found traktor scratch pro to have the mix of real vinyl feel with all the new tech .Serato I found is much more like old djing ( by the seat of your pants style) but surely we should be embracing technology so thats why I use traktor and now found the new version easy to set up in any gig situation which to be fair was always the case with the old trakor
Though the bridge with serayo looks like it needs a test out :D

beatniks3

Post by beatniks3 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:04 pm

icki dwards wrote::D
Mate i have dj`ed for nearly 20 years so not a noobie at all I found traktor scratch pro to have the mix of real vinyl feel with all the new tech .Serato I found is much more like old djing ( by the seat of your pants style) but surely we should be embracing technology so thats why I use traktor and now found the new version easy to set up in any gig situation which to be fair was always the case with the old trakor
Though the bridge with serayo looks like it needs a test out :D
hey just to be clear i wasn't calling everyone who uses TSP a noob...I was saying when a noobie makes the choice, they often IMO choose based on the wrong things, like the fx, and the four decks.

inakiesarte

Post by inakiesarte » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 pm

I chose torq and I think I spotted on!!! It is cheaper tha the other two, and has great effects in built, lopping functions and 16 samplers... I must say its being ahead even serato bridge...

The only thing is for now just handle two decks...

Thanks!

db120

Post by db120 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Good lord, I hope Traktor is stable by now. I remember beta-testing final scratch on a Linux box that I had to cross two wires to start, back when it was still owned by in2it in 92 or something. Utter hell. I guess that'll be my "when I was a kid we used to have to walk 2miles in snow to school" story.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:09 am

ive never had traktor crash on me. its one of the most stable programs ive eva used. the effects are spot on, but the ease of use and interface is what makes it. i think its a lot more forward thinking than serato - and thats not just because of the effects. just think it has midi in mind throughout the whole design...and if u do hav a controller it is so fluid to use.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:07 am

take out the FX and it's still more powerful than Serato

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Traktor is cool and Serato is cool.

There is a reason why Ableton would rather work with a company based on the other side of the world
instead of a few miles away LOL

Native Instruments are pretty lame though.
They sell software that doesnt work then charge you for upgrades that are bugfixes.

Anyone can see that Ableton/Serato has a bright future for DJing
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Ben_Binary wrote:Traktor is cool and Serato is cool.

There is a reason why Ableton would rather work with a company based on the other side of the world
instead of a few miles away LOL

Native Instruments are pretty lame though.
They sell software that doesnt work then charge you for upgrades that are bugfixes.

Anyone can see that Ableton/Serato has a bright future for DJing
The obvious reason Ableton partnered with Serato is that Serato is fairly bare bones and therefor a lot easier to add a major new feature to. Traktor is a monster application in it's own right and it would be a lot harder to implement and would add more bugs from both companies.

All companies sell software that doesn't quite work as planned in the beginning. Serato doesn't evolve much on any level so of course it's going to be more stable, but we'll see how stable it is once Live is part of it. I predict it's flawless performance record will be tarnished.

You're also flat wrong about NI. They are well known for adding major new features along with bug fixes in updates and they don't charge for it either. The only time they charge, like any other company, is for major version releases. Anybody that ditches something "years ago" shouldn't be weighing in on the current status.

I still stand by my statement that if somebody has never spun vinyl or CDs before then there's no reason to learn to do so or use encoded media. It's an old school skill set and technology that will be phased out except in some situations where it's necessary no matter how much some people don't want to let it go. There's plenty of other things to focus on in the future of DJing.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Spinning records is really fun. Gee whiz... there's one reason.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Spinning records is really fun. Gee whiz... there's one reason.
No it's not. It's a gateway elitist skill. :wink:

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:23 pm

I own both like alot of folks in the room. Jst to let ya know I would have said traktor UNTIL, serato jst came back with sl3 and 2.0 that is coming out. With four decks that did away with my main problem with serato. As far as the effect go we will have to see but I really am not to concerned with the effects.
The reason that I will continue to use traktor is because that Serato WILL NOT LET US ROUTE AUDIO INTO ABLETON (which is huge to me)

Either way ya go they are both solid programs that do different things....as far as being ablet to do all that for 1200 it is going to be very hard to do so...so traktor might be the way to go to save money on hardware for now..
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it